Champion Data

Remove this Banner Ad

12Chill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Anybody here know around about what salary those who work at Champion Data earn? I'm interested to know.

My maths teacher at school told me about how she applied to work there as one of the 'callers' (not sure what to call them, they have the binoculars and say the names and action of whoever gets the ball for the guys out back to mark down on the stat sheet). She had to complete this test where she was sent a video and had to name the players in each picture before it skipped to the next one, she failed (she had to get 19/25 but got just 9/25, the pictures were blurred and of C-D grade and lesser known players.) I did the video in the class and got 23/25 which was cool.

Now I'm genuinely just interested in what they earn. Anybody aware?

Is that the only requirement for the job? I'd love to do it, wonder how often they hire

Not sure, my teacher didn't pass so she doesn't know whether there was follow up tests. And yeah not sure how often they hire, she said she applied and didn't hear back from them for another year, they sent her an email along the lines that they were now testing and that she could take the test, so maybe they don't hire super often but if I got the opportunity I'd love to do it when I'm out of school.

Very hard to get a gig. As a caller you need to know literally every player by number & face. Not a high paying job but most do it for the love of the sport.

Very hard to get a gig. As a caller you need to know literally every player by number & face. Not a high paying job but most do it for the love of the sport.

Fair enough, knowing all the players not too difficult for someone who loves the game. Since I assume the work is really just on weekends since that's when the matches are played, if someone loved it that much they could work two jobs to make up for the pay, although people wouldn't want to give away their weekends as well, if they love the sport that much I guess it.'do come under consideration (unless there are Champion Data commitments quite often during the week).

Fair enough, knowing all the players not too difficult for someone who loves the game. Since I assume the work is really just on weekends since that's when the matches are played, if someone loved it that much they could work two jobs to make up for the pay, although people wouldn't want to give away their weekends as well, if they love the sport that much I guess it.'do come under consideration (unless there are Champion Data commitments quite often during the week).

The person I know doing it is actually a Manager (he doesn't have to work weekends in his primary role), a footy nut and works for CD on a casual basis. I think the shifts are around 4hrs. They pay for flights & accommodation for interstate games but it's definitely not lucrative. Aswell as having a M-F 9-5 job, you'd need a supporting primary employer incase you need to fly somewhere on a Fri arvo for a game. He loves it, is able to be involved in the game but for most they will never make a fortune from it.

Anyone interested I would recommend they should get involved in VFL stats, learn as much of current AFL players lists as possible and prove you have the interest, skills and dedication before applying to CD.

The person I know doing it is actually a Manager (he doesn't have to work weekends in his primary role), a footy nut and works for CD on a casual basis. I think the shifts are around 4hrs. They pay for flights & accommodation for interstate games but it's definitely not lucrative. Aswell as having a M-F 9-5 job, you'd need a supporting primary employer incase you need to fly somewhere on a Fri arvo for a game. He loves it, is able to be involved in the game but for most they will never make a fortune from it.

Anyone interested I would recommend they should get involved in VFL stats, learn as much of current AFL players lists as possible and prove you have the interest, skills and dedication before applying to CD.

Nice insight :thumbsu:

Nice insight :thumbsu:
VFL clubs will be starting to think about their stats teams soon- like the players, they also learn their roles etc during the warm up games of preseason. Anyone interested should start by emailing or calling each of the VFL clubs.

You may not know, but any idea of how often they hire? Or is it just an ongoing thing that they will see if people have what it takes & just get them on board?

You may not know, but any idea of how often they hire? Or is it just an ongoing thing that they will see if people have what it takes & just get them on board?
Not sure mate- I guess as positions become available.
I just know that it's incredibly competitive to get in.
As I've previously said, try some VFL work or volunteering in stats.
No guarantee but hopefully that helps set you aside from other candidates.

Not sure mate- I guess as positions become available.
I just know that it's incredibly competitive to get in.
As I've previously said, try some VFL work or volunteering in stats.
No guarantee but hopefully that helps set you aside from other candidates.

Haha cheers mate it was just out of curiosity more than anything, I'm based over in Perth anyway so that would make it a lot harder as the WAFL isn't anywhere near as good or competitive as the VFL.

I take an interest in that sort of thing stemming back to being a kid with a pen & a lined paper book who would just write the full rounds of scores for whole seasons... Funnily enough, the Bulldogs used to always beat Collingwood (mums team) by about 200pts whenever they played...

I've sat next to the Northern Blues stats men at VFL games and it strikes me as a really intense job. There were only 3 of them, one would call the play, two would record what was being called onto a computer with one of these guys printing them off and passing the stats sheets through to the coaches. They may rotate roles at the end of each quarter.

Calling in particular would be a tough gig. An example of what I overheard for a quick kick from a centre bounce that was marked inside 50 was "26 hit out to advantage, 13 hard ball kick to advantage, inside 50, contested mark inside 50 by 32".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back