Rumour Dogs offer Morphett a 5 year deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
As reported on AFL website - Ally Morphett has been offered a 5 yr deal by the Dogs. Fielding offers also from Bombers & Magpies.

Swans are going to have a battle to hold on onto her.

Given the Bulldogs have Edmonds and Celine Moody (both in their mid 20s), one can only assume they approached Gardiner and Ham first, but were rejected.

That Morphett is reportedly meeting with a number of clubs, one can only assume Sydney are prioritising Gardiner and Ham.

Don’t mind being open to move pick 1 for a good player. Would want Moody or Edmonds to have an effect in the forward line, which they had at times prior to this year.

Given the Bulldogs have Edmonds and Celine Moody (both in their mid 20s), one can only assume they approached Gardiner and Ham first, but were rejected.

That Morphett is reportedly meeting with a number of clubs, one can only assume Sydney are prioritising Gardiner and Ham.

Ham was extended at the beginning of this season so is under contract. Gardiner was signed at the beginning of this season (after we gave up picks 1 & 27 in the supplementary draft for her) so I would assume she is contracted beyond this season. So I think your second assumption is wrong.

Ham was extended at the beginning of this season so is under contract. Gardiner was signed at the beginning of this season (after we gave up picks 1 & 27 in the supplementary draft for her) so I would assume she is contracted beyond this season. So I think your second assumption is wrong.
I don't mean priority in terms of who re-signs first during the sign-and-trade period. I mean priority in terms of who is being reserved the biggest piece of the ASA pie.

Come to think of it, I don't really agree with your first assumption either. Mids, even good ones like Gardiner and Ham, are more common than players like Morphett. Morphett is closer to being a 'unicorn' type player and may have been prioritised by the Bulldogs for this reason. She is a good tap ruck but offers SOOO much more around the ground. She plays almost like another midfielder and also has a lot of physicality and ability to present as a marking target. That's why our coach said very early in the season that she has the potential to be the best player in the competition.

Come to think of it, I don't really agree with your first assumption either. Mids, even good ones like Gardiner and Ham, are more common than players like Morphett. Morphett is closer to being a 'unicorn' type player and may have been prioritised by the Bulldogs for this reason. She is a good tap ruck but offers SOOO much more around the ground. She plays almost like another midfielder and also has a lot of physicality and ability to present as a marking target. That's why our coach said very early in the season that she has the potential to be the best player in the competition.
The first players that get pursued are those who have recently moved interstate, with clubs seeking to exploit the Go Home factor. Pretty conventional wisdom.

Atm it looks like a fairly bizarre and desperate play by the Western Bulldogs, unless one of Edmonds or Moody is already looking to change clubs (it would really need to be Edmonds to properly accommodate Morphett).

Well, as a Swans fan, I hope the Bulldogs 'play' doesn't succeed. Would be a massive loss for us. It would also hugely suck to lose not only one of our most promising youngsters but one of our relatively few NSW players to a Victorian club. The only consolation is that at least the Bulldogs hold pick 1, albeit in a draft that is quite significantly compromised at the very top end.

Given the annual outs and lack of quality ins at the Dogs over the years, it's quite remarkable that Mick Sandry is still their list manager.
A guy seemingly obsessed with youth and/or Geelong misfits, except in the case of 20yo Laura Gardiner who had to move to Sydney to get a regular game.

Across the last 5 sign and trade periods, the one acquisition in the 23-28yo range (i.e. players around Blackburn's age) was Edmonds, which is looking like the only good move. All the other notable players acquired via trade and free agency (Bateman, Cranston, Bennetts, Millie Brown, Katie Lynch, Strahan, Woods, Gorham, McFarlane) have been outside that age bracket and, for various reasons, none are tracking to be raging success stories.

Then he goes and delists 27yo Bailey Hunt. Well... when you're cutting the vice-captain, I think it's a pretty good sign your whole operation is ****ed. Carlton played that game with Lauren Arnell and then Katie Loynes, and didn't that breed a tremendous sense of loyalty among the other players!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A guy seemingly obsessed with youth and/or Geelong misfits, except in the case of 20yo Laura Gardiner who had to move to Sydney to get a regular game.

Across the last 5 sign and trade periods, the one acquisition in the 23-28yo range (i.e. players around Blackburn's age) was Edmonds, which is looking like the only good move. All the other notable players acquired via trade and free agency (Bateman, Cranston, Bennetts, Millie Brown, Katie Lynch, Strahan, Woods, Gorham, McFarlane) have been outside that age bracket and, for various reasons, none are tracking to be raging success stories.

Then he goes and delists 27yo Bailey Hunt. Well... when you're cutting the vice-captain, I think it's a pretty good sign your whole operation is ****ed. Carlton played that game with Lauren Arnell and then Katie Loynes, and didn't that breed a tremendous sense of loyalty among the other players!
I think talking about loyalty and AFLW players is an oxymoron. Nearly every team in The AFLW has managed to grab one of our players in the case of North Melbourne and Richmond more than one, and paying * all for the privilege. Even though we are one of the two pioneering clubs in the AFLW if we could throw our keys in the AFLW house, I would do it. Most Bulldog supporters are disheartened and lost interest, I just feel for Lamb and Blackburn they deserved to be treated better by those past team mates.

I think talking about loyalty and AFLW players is an oxymoron. Nearly every team in The AFLW has managed to grab one of our players in the case of North Melbourne and Richmond more than one, and paying * all for the privilege. Even though we are one of the two pioneering clubs in the AFLW if we could throw our keys in the AFLW house, I would do it. Most Bulldog supporters are disheartened and lost interest, I just feel for Lamb and Blackburn they deserved to be treated better by those past team mates.
I think your understanding of the word loyalty is about as good as your understanding of the word pioneering.

Ellie Blackburn (like other 2018 premiership players Emma Kearney, Monique Conti, Brooke Lochland, Deanna Berry, Bailey Hunt, Angelica Gogos and Lauren Spark) came to the AFLW via Melbourne University Women's, a team that was supported by North Melbourne years before the Dees asked the Dogs to play an exhibition game.

So spare us the sob story, and stop acting as if the AFL owes any more favours to the clubs gifted inaugural licences in 2016. Being an original team in the competition doesn't absolve years of mismanagement.

I think your understanding of the word loyalty is about as good as your understanding of the word pioneering.

Ellie Blackburn (like other 2018 premiership players Emma Kearney, Monique Conti, Brooke Lochland, Deanna Berry, Bailey Hunt, Angelica Gogos and Lauren Spark) came to the AFLW via Melbourne University Women's, a team that was supported by North Melbourne years before the Dees asked the Dogs to play an exhibition game.

So spare us the sob story, and stop acting as if the AFL owes any more favours to the clubs gifted inaugural licences in 2016. Being an original team in the competition doesn't absolve years of mismanagement.
This coming from a North Melbourne supporter who has sobbed to the AFL over your terrible management of the men’s team to get priority picks, a little rich isn’t it. I don’t remember North Melbourne putting resources into the women’s football before the start of the competition. I do remember when you were granted a licence you went on a poaching spree which annoyed all the clubs, rather than build the competition by drafting and developing your own.

This coming from a North Melbourne supporter who has sobbed to the AFL over your terrible management of the men’s team to get priority picks, a little rich isn’t it.
No, this North Melbourne supporter hasn't done that. I'm talking about the Western Bulldogs' recruiting and list management in a highly relevant thread.

I don’t remember North Melbourne putting resources into the women’s football before the start of the competition.
Because you have nfi. But I just explained North were doing it before any other club.

Now would you actually like to contribute something vaguely on topic?

I think talking about loyalty and AFLW players is an oxymoron.
Is this meant for the Newton thread? It seems weird to post it in the 'player turns down big offers from interstate sides and sticks with her club' thread. Also weird to be crying about loyalty while your club is chasing the new ruck hotness, despite having established rucks. Personally, I'd be thrilled to have either of Edmonds or Moody at my club.

Some of the reporting around this offer makes it sound like Celine Moody consequently requested a trade out of there, which would be a huge backfire. I'm not sure I believe that, since Carlton would have the same competition for ruck spots. But maybe there was a "you're offering her 5 years, and only 1 year for me??" element to it.

I just feel for Lamb and Blackburn they deserved to be treated better by those past team mates.
Maybe Lamb's new teammates will live up to your standards. She has Port Adelaide heritage after all, so it's admirable to see her stay loyal to her true roots.

Some of the reporting around this offer makes it sound like Celine Moody consequently requested a trade out of there, which would be a huge backfire. I'm not sure I believe that, since Carlton would have the same competition for ruck spots. But maybe there was a "you're offering her 5 years, and only 1 year for me??" element to it.

Maybe Lamb's new teammates will live up to your standards. She has Port Adelaide heritage after all, so it's admirable to see her stay loyal to her true roots.
I see you North are still chasing Bulldogs premiership players, who knows one day you might even win one too.

This coming from a North Melbourne supporter who has sobbed to the AFL over your terrible management of the men’s team to get priority picks, a little rich isn’t it. I don’t remember North Melbourne putting resources into the women’s football before the start of the competition. I do remember when you were granted a licence you went on a poaching spree which annoyed all the clubs, rather than build the competition by drafting and developing your own.
There is no one on the North Melbourne board who believes Teen Wolf is a North Melbourne fan, in fact many believe he/she lists North Melbourne not because it's their favourite club but because it's the club they hate the most.

North Melbourne first became involved with Melbourne University's women's programme in the late 2000's and while early on in the partnership it may not have been well known, it has been since about 2016 when there was first talk of an AFL women's league and North applied to be one of the inaugural clubs. A number of those players we "poached" were Melbourne University girls who remained loyal to the club that originally trained and developed them.

A number of those players we "poached" were Melbourne University girls who remained loyal to the club that originally trained and developed them.
Isn't that number 2? Wasn't it just Ashmore coming back from Queensland and Kearney taking the better offer between North and the Dogs? Abbatangelo and Riddell were recruited out of the VFLW, not poached. That seems to be it for MUGARS from the inaugural North list. If North have poached any Melbourne Uni players off other clubs since then, I'm not aware of it.

Shockingly, a soccer-loving Canberran is getting a bunch of stuff wrong about North Melbourne and its connection to MUWFC. Indeed only Kearney and Ashmore played for Melbourne Uni pre-AFLW. Even Riddell and Abbatangelo only moved across from Diamond Creek in 2018, following Gowans.

Aaaand that's the point. Being a so-called pioneering club doesn't mean you get to own players. Hasn't proven true for North, nor Melbourne. So why would it be the case for the Bulldogs, who are a distant third in that equation.

There are no one-way streets when it comes to player movement. For example: Giants academy product Ally Morphett signed for Sydney... after GWS signed Swans academy product Jess Doyle. Responding to these swings and roundabouts with sensible list management decisions and resolute player development is what matters, and that's something the Dogs have sucked at (take the differing trajectories of Kim Rennie and Daisy Bateman, to start).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back