Traded Elliot Yeo (2012-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if it was him or someone else that took a fantastic contested mark yesterday at HBF in the 4th qtr at the hill end of the field, which resulted in Stiller being down on the ground for a period of time. Took a lot of courage.

Not sure if it was him or someone else that took a fantastic contested mark yesterday at HBF in the 4th qtr at the hill end of the field, which resulted in Stiller being down on the ground for a period of time. Took a lot of courage.

That was Yeo :)

Seriously impressed with him. He's really starting to back his agility.
As evidenced by this pic from Jorgo:

7991536623_028af7a990_z.jpg

How many times was he the sub? I noticed he averaged 14.9 disposals a game, which is fairly good considering he spent a fair bit of time with a vest on. Be interesting to see how he goes in the Rising Star next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elliot Yeo 2012 End of Season Review
by irel

Senior Games: 8
Goals: 0
Dreamteam: 408
Supercoach: 464
Club Best and Fairest votes: 4.5

7991536623_028af7a990_z.jpg

Image (NEAFL Northern Conference Grand Final) courtesy of Jorgo

Yeo displayed the following qualities to ensure being drafted to the Lions and made full use to change a wrongful perception that he was an athlete trying to play football. By end of the year no one had any doubt that Yeo was a footballer with great athletic abilities.
  • Very balanced dual sided player
  • Displays good run and carry ability (an 80 mt player)
  • Quick smooth running agile, calm, collected, makes good decisions and plays with poise
  • Inside/Outside player (predominantly outside)
  • Runs both ways – has good vision, is physical in the contest and runs well to support his defence
  • Tested well at the combine being the quickest in the agility run (7.80 seconds), having the best standing vertical jump with a score of 78cm and running 2.91 seconds for the 20m sprint
The misconceptions quickly changed as Yeo provided a reality check to his knockers and he showed himself to be a hard working athletically gifted footballer who is capable of winning his own football when necessary. He was however predominantly used as an outside HBF/HFF.

Yeo began his career with Brisbane in the NAB cup with a very composed, polished and eye catching performance against Melbourne and continued developing through early rounds reserve games. After the first round of NAB Cup, Melbourne Herald Sun reported “Elliot Yeo has all the attributes to excite Voss. He's athletic, quick, showed impressive skills in the wet and has the confidence to run with the footy.” It quickly become obvious that he was developing at a rapid pace and an imminent debut would come sooner rather than later. He was named as an emergency for the Dockers game in Perth and a stunning 35 possession game against Morningside in the NEAFL ensured his debut was getting nearer. Injuries to more established players ensured his entry into AFL level was sooner than perhaps anticipated, however once he got a taste of the top level he showed sufficient ability to continue putting pressure at the selection table for the duration of the season.

He finally made his AFL debut round 9 against North Melbourne and made another 7 appearances to end with 8 in total for his first year on the list. He showed enormous promise having an excellent first half with BOG possession tally before tyring and tapering off in the second half. On all accounts it was an impressive debut.

His best game of the year come in round 17 against Gold Coast when he accumulated 22 disposals. He followed this game with an equally outstanding game against Adelaide where he come on as a substitute and made a significant contribution towards a massive game change when he impressed with his poise, control, and decision-making under pressure and surprised many with his strength and aggression and hunger for the contest. He showed good signs of a maturing and confidence growing young first year player.

Expectation for 2013
Yeo would be one player looking forward to the new season with great anticipation and some impatience. After a very impressive (Black like) first year in the senior team a full pre -season should see him pushing for more regular appearances in the senior squad and build on his 8 games in his debut year.

Love all those marks. Kicking needs some work, gets a bit too much air-time.

Really exciting young prospect, highlights package really shows off his athletic capabilites - the tackle on an AFL legend in Boomer by a first year player is one to be proud of.

Will really provide some real dash of the HBF flank once he puts on some more weight.

Yeo raring to go
February 5, 2013
Sam Lord

Elliot Yeo and his Lions teammates are beginning to sense the imminent return of on-field action, with the Club’s first official pre-season hitout less than three weeks away.

“I’ve been playing half-back a fair bit, working with the defenders, and working on my defensive side.”

“(Spending time in the gym) has definitely been a big focus of mine,” Yeo said.

“Since I’ve gotten to the Club, I’ve put on close to 10kg. I’ve worked hard on my bench – when I first got to the Club I was benching around 70-75kg, now I’m doing close to 100kg.”

Yeo_Training-article.jpg

Liked him pushing forward a bit more last night... learnt last season off half-back, could be the run and carry we need in the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back