Funniest crowd moment

Remove this Banner Ad

Gnome Murphy

All Australian
Apr 14, 2003
Other Teams
bullies "thanks B2"
One of the funniest things I heard from the crowd was at Princess Park in 1996 Carlton versus Footscray.

The doggies were getting a flogging as was normal for that time of 96, and the Blues fans were there arrogant self when Stephen Kernhan kicked a goal and had a big smile on his face.

Someone shouted out from the crowd "What are you smiling at Kernhan while you are out playing football today my mate from Braybrook is doing your house over (slang for stealing from a house) pinching your video, Television, and stealing your whole Status Quo record collection.

The whole crowd just cracked up including the Blue fans

Another funny moment was the freo game this year, a fremantle fan shouted out "Hey Skipper why don’t you go back to Western Australia" and a bulldog fan replied, "Yeah and that will double the whole I.Q of Western Australia

If you have any favorite crowd moment please feel free to post.

P.s I scored a “Year of the Dog” t-shirt signed by Terry Wallace and Kritta for $2.00 at St Mary’s fete Corowa (a small town near Albury) what a score.

Essendon v Dogs 2000- Grant runs into Rioli in an attempt to hold him up. Rioli broke his wrist I think. Member of the crowd yelled out "Look out Chris, he might eat you!" Got plenty of chuckles amongst the Dogs supporters.

Richmond v Bulldogs @ MCG. Eagleton played a blinder, crowd kept calling out "Go Trade Bait Go!" Also against Freo at Colonial when we played really poorly, I continually cheered for Eagle- everyone joined in as a joke. He was our hero for the day.

Went with a couple of my mates to a West Coast vs Sydney game, being young and reckless i decided to wear all of my fremantle gear just to see if i could get a rise out of anyone, well it turns out there was a drunk guy behind me.

First of all i started paying out on cousins calling him all kinds of names and the guy behind me said something realting to sexual acts with shaun mcmanus, it turned into a verbal battle between me and this guy, at one point i pointed out the west coast had to advertise fremantle dockers to get people to their games, (at subi there is a large Atlinta gas advertisement), He turns to me and goes , "they thought they could stop me getting booze in here.... they were wrong.." and showed me the empty six pack he had hidden under his jacket. Before that he said "i'd give yah a beer mate , but i hate yah too much."

After about 30minutes of insults and counter-insults we ended up calling a truce to the laughs and cheers of everyone sitting around us, the last thing he said to me was "i hate you mate, but you've got guts i'll give yah that."

Against Fremantle this year I got a few laughs while we were getting flogged when I yelled out, "Just close the roof and turn on the gas!!!"

A few others I can recall was I think another time when we were getting flogged by Carlton (1998 I think), a flock of seagulls came near us and this guy yelled out, "Yep, its not enough to be flogged by Carlton, just bring the seagulls out to sh*t on us all!!!"

During a boring game against Freo a few years back, "Oh just bring on the Little League, at least we can laugh at the fat kid!!"

Last year Vs. Freo at Optus Oval. We were about 40+ points up and Hunter marked the ball near the fifty. The Freo supporters near us started yelling out 'HUNTER!!! It's Kingsley Hunter! You're a JOKE Hunter!' He missed the shot and they started cheering and yelled out 'That's why we got rid of you Hunter!'

Within about a minute the ball had ended up in Daniel Bandy's hands. Again they started screaming out 'BAAAANNDDYYY! Daniel Bandy! You're a joke Bandy!' Inevitably he missed and there was a roar from the Freo lads. Then there was a pause for about 10 seconds and one of them yelled out 'That's why we got rid of you!'

Everyone around packed themselves laughing. It even got a mention in the match report in the Herald Sun the next day.

Funny Moment

I have reserved seats on level one at Telstra Dome. We were playing a Sunday home game after Collingwood had played a Saturday night home game at the dome. A fellow Bulldog member arrived at the game (he sits in front of me) and from his bag he took out some cleaning fluid and sprayed his seat and started drying it. I asked him what he was doing and he said he was cleaning his seat because some Collingwood scum had sat in the seat the night before. I thought that was pretty funny.

Also when we were playing at Optus a few years back we used to have the Dogs barking over the loud speakers after each goal we kicked (remember that)
Anyway Collo banned it from happening and the next home game some supporter brougyt his getto blaster and after each goal he played his dogs barking which he had obviously taped. At the end of the tape you could hear him yelling to his dogs, "Ok, that's enough." That also got a alugh from the crowd

Originally posted by SonOfScray
Essendon v Dogs 2000- Grant runs into Rioli in an attempt to hold him up. Rioli broke his wrist I think. Member of the crowd yelled out "Look out Chris, he might eat you!" Got plenty of chuckles amongst the Dogs supporters.

Broke Rioli's collarbone, which wasn't properly healed from a previous break.

A couple of funny incidents, one with poor old Eagle again: He was having a shocker in the game against St Kilda in 2001 but kept leading down the pocket. Everyone around us was yelling, "Don't kick it to Eagle!"

And at the Dogs/Bris game at Telstra this year, a guy sitting near my sister, yelled out to Aker when he came near the fence: "No one likes you Akermanis!" which made everyone laugh.

Originally posted by Curly5
A couple of funny incidents, one with poor old Eagle again: He was having a shocker in the game against St Kilda in 2001 but kept leading down the pocket. Everyone around us was yelling, "Don't kick it to Eagle!"
Yes I remember. For some strange reason he kept leading to side of the ground which would have made it difficult for a left footer!

My father yelled out 'put the coffin in the nail' one day out at Waverley after we wrapped up a game v Sydney.

One incident that made me laugh to the point of tears rolling down my eyes, was some 15 years or so ago.

Was a cold, blustery windy day at Whitten Oval ( Western Oval in those days). We were sitting on those wooden seats behind the goals at the Barkly Street end. There was an opposition Melbourne Supporter sitting next to us. This Melbourne supporter just kept yelling and baggind Doug Hawkins continuously.

Well she reached for her Thermos and made herself a cup of tea and was holding the cup and just about ready to take a sip, then I look up and see Doug Hawkins streaming towards the goals and he ended up kicking a goal.

The ball came sailing through and hit the woman's cup and the tea ended up all over her. Dougie looked at her and smiled. To this day, I think he pinpointed his accuracy to knock that cup over.

I just keeled over laughing, I was nearly sick. The woman looked at me and said "You must think this is amusing? I responded "Yes I do, cant you tell?"

Many years ago in one of Roger Merret's first games a mate of mine took an instant aversion to Rogers looks, "your ****en ugly Merret", take of the mask you're scaring the kids" and all sorts of insults were hurled from right behind the goals at the scoreboard end. Now Windy Hill was one of those 'intimate' inner suburban venues and Merret had spent two quarters in the goal square listening to this never ending tirade of abuse from about ten metres away.

Just before three quarter time he got a handball and kicked his first and turned around to the crowd and held his arms up, just as the cheering subsides this guy yells out "It doesnt matter how many goals you kick Merret, its not gonna make you any better looking"

He was right you know.

My favourites include:

"Oh come on ump - Ablett's son would've been paid it" - during the half time little league at the then Western Oval after some kid dropped a mark.

The London exhibition match is always funny because everyone's lagered up. At last year's Richmond v. Essendon match: "You've got nits Richo!"

At this years Pies v. Freo exhibition match a mate and I got a chant up (to the tune of living next door to Alice) "Freo, Freo, who the f*** are Freo!!" to the consternation of Freo fans. Charming!

But my favourite footy crowd moment is when I went as a neutral observer to see Rich. v Carl. at the G a few years back. A member of the crowd in front of us pulled out a thermos, some buns, and a bottle of sauce, and some tongs. He then made himself a hot dog with the frankfurters he had kept warm in the thermos. About 50 of us stood up and applauded his ingenuity (it was a v. boring game).

Favourite this year was against the Dees second time around when we won. Poor old Travis Johnstone spent the 1st and 3rd quarters on the wing at Colonial Stadium dominated by the Bulldog members. He copped a barrage of "got a hot tip for you in the 4th at Randwick tomorrow" comments, just a day or two after the whole gambling debt scandal broke out.

My personal favourite was in 1991. We were getting hammered by Melbourne at the MCG, and this typical pompous Range Rover driving Melbourne supporter yelled out "who's this Atkins?" in a real puncy Melbourne-supporter voice. A Dogs supporter responded with a voice perfect imitation "who's this Cuthbertson?", who was killing us on the day. One of those "had to be there" moments but had the whole crowd in the vicinity in stitches.

Another classic was in the pocket at the Geelong Rd end against Freo in 1995 (this was the game when Peter Quill almost gift wrapped the game th Freo by going accross goal in the back flank and kicking it straight to Ben Allan, whose shot after the siren to win the game fell about 5 metres short). A Dogs supporter near the boundary was so disgusted with an umpiring decision that he threw his half-eaten pie at the umpire (he missed), and then proceeded to grab another pie out of his pocket in the same motion and start eating it.

Originally posted by Sedat!
A Dogs supporter near the boundary was so disgusted with an umpiring decision that he threw his half-eaten pie at the umpire (he missed), and then proceeded to grab another pie out of his pocket in the same motion and start eating it.

Man thats class.

I took my wife to that game, it was one of our first ever dates. She said I almost cut the circulation of to her fingers because I was squezing her hand so hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have heard and seen a few funny things both in the crowd and on the field but prolly due to alcohol consumption, can't really remember them all.

One that does stick in my mind cos it only happened at the end of 2003 season when we played the Bombers (and got pumped with Matty Lloyd kicking 12 goals).

I think it was after we had (finally) kicked our 10th goal but a Bombers supporter yelled out:

"Watch out Lloydy... they're catching up to ya!"

After having a pretty crappy day (due to the result and the fact I was surrounded by *****-stirring Essendon supporters) it brought a smile to my face and I had a bit of a laugh. :D

There was one this year against Carlton that i thought was kinda funny. This weird looking guy wearing shorts with bulldogs socks pulled up to his knees and a funny hat was carrying on a bit towards the end of the game. We kicked a point which he thought was a goal so he got a bit excited...was the only one obviously....and noticed people staring at him and said don't worry i'm going back to human services after the match.

A great thread, espicially the 'Collingwood Scum' post by Turtleman3...

I have had many laughs at the Footy, but it always puts me in tears to see this.... We played Essendon last year when it was a draw on the siren, and during the game, this Essendon bloke kept on giving it to Brown... Anyways Brown had a shot at goal and missed and this guy was going on and on.... and then he went to sit down, and no chair was there, and he went straight on his a$$...

All the doggy supporters laughed and cheered @ him, was a kinda "had-to-be-there" moment... But damn its funny seeing people abuse the hell outta someone and then forget to flick their chairs down...

a good one

This isn't about a Bulldog game but a funny story none the less.

A friend of mine is a mad St Kilda supporter (aren't they all) who travels to all their inter state games and invites the opposition supporters outside the ground to "discuss" things. He says he has never been taken up on the offer, which you wouldn't because when he is at the footy his eyes tend to be rolling around in his head.

Anyway, he was telling me once about a time when St Kilda was playing Essendon. The game was a couple of minutes from starting and he thought the crowd was pretty quiet, especially the Bomber supporters around him. So he stood up and yelled as loud as he could, "Essendon must be kicking this way, I can smell Matthew Lloyd's perfume."
He said that fired them up plenty.

Heard a pearler against Melbourne this year (the first time). We were having a rough trot with the umpires early in the match, and the bloke sitting behind me was getting quite frustrated. We then received another free against us, which drew the ire of not only myself and my mate Damo, but also the bloke behind us, who waited for a lull, then proceeded to yell at the said umpire...

..."I hope you get SARS, you bastard".

One of the funniest things I've heard at the footy - Damo and I couldn't stop laughing for the next 5 minutes!!

I remember one cold day at Western Oval, Danny De Rae was lining up for goal and a member of the Barkly street gang suddenley yelled out a valuable piece of advice...

........"Line it up with your nose Danny!"

Classic Moment

Originally posted by dogman22
Heard a pearler against Melbourne this year (the first time). We were having a rough trot with the umpires early in the match, and the bloke sitting behind me was getting quite frustrated. We then received another free against us, which drew the ire of not only myself and my mate Damo, but also the bloke behind us, who waited for a lull, then proceeded to yell at the said umpire...

..."I hope you get SARS, you bastard".

One of the funniest things I've heard at the footy - Damo and I couldn't stop laughing for the next 5 minutes!!

OMG, where were you sitting that game? I think I heard the same comment and saw the guy who said it...

Whether or not it was, I pi$$ed myself laughing

One day at the Barkly St end in a game against Hawthorn...John Platten had just received his second soft free kick in front of goals in as many minutes. Someone in the crowd screamed to to ump "You might as well bend over for him u bastard"...It was one of those ones where you had to be there

Originally posted by Kretiuk #35
OMG, where were you sitting that game? I think I heard the same comment and saw the guy who said it...

Whether or not it was, I pi$$ed myself laughing

I was on the top level at Telstra Dome, in about aisle 35 (on the wing), in the front row. The guy that yelled out was in the row behind, a couple of seats to my left (from memory)

Originally posted by dogman22
I was on the top level at Telstra Dome, in about aisle 35 (on the wing), in the front row. The guy that yelled out was in the row behind, a couple of seats to my left (from memory)

Gee u must remember that moment well mate...

I do tend to sit up the top, i'm pretty sure I heard that comment too..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back