SuburbanMe

Premiership Player
Feb 23, 2010
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
FITZROY FOOTBALL CLUB
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-28/former-captain-grimes-may-look-elsewhere-for-opportunities

IT APPEARS increasingly unlikely that former Melbourne captain Jack Grimes will be with the Demons in 2017 with future opportunities looking limited.

The restricted free agent is yet to make a senior appearance in 2016 after playing 12 senior games in 2015.

After being trialled on the wing during the NAB Challenge he has not been able to secure a spot in the improving Melbourne line-up, although he has been named as an emergency more than half a dozen times this year.

Grimes has been a victim of circumstance to some extent with the emergence of youngsters such as Jayden Hunt, Tomas Bugg, Josh Wagner and the return of Jack Trengove also forcing other experienced players such as Colin Garland and Lynden Dunn to play VFL throughout the season.

It's been a fall from grace for the 27-year-old former co-captain of the club who remains stuck on 98 games.

He finished second in the 2012 best and fairest and was co-captain in 54 games between 2012-2014.

A well-respected figure at the Demons he has played well for ladder leaders Casey Scorpions in the VFL in 2016.

Grimes' manager Anthony McConville, from Mac's Sports, told AFL.com.au that Grimes was doing everything he could to return to the senior team as soon as possible and was entirely focused on that task.

However, McConville said that although he remained hopeful the door could open anytime soon he was aware his client was in a tough situation.

"Obviously, I'm concerned Jack hasn't played all year and has been fit and healthy," McConville said.

"I am concerned that his future at Melbourne looks limited."

The Demons are yet to sign key defender Tom McDonald and small defender Neville Jetta, who is also a free agent and understood to have attracted interest from several AFL clubs.

Jack Watts looks likely to stay at Melbourne but remains unsigned beyond the end of this season, while other former co-captain Jack Trengove is also only contracted until the end of 2016.

The days of leading the Demons seem long in the past for Jack Grimes. Picture: AFL Media
grimesjones620.jpg

Trengove returned to the senior side in round 11 after good form in the VFL following a two-year absence through injury.

Melbourne plays Adelaide at the MCG on Sunday as it looks to stay in finals contention.

I think it's been mishandled. It's not as though his form hasn't warranted selection. But youth at all costs has seen him not get a look in.

Worth noting that his last three games for Melbourne at the end of last year saw him averaging 24 disposals, 4 tackles and a goal per game.

Clearly his papers have been stamped but I'll be pretty bloody annoyed if the club doesn't see him to 100 games.

Feel bad for the bloke, playing the last 4 games in 2015 probably made him think he was back in the best 22. You'd think if he didn't think that he would have asked to be traded, as this has essentially been a wasted year for him (Also think the club wouldn't have made it hard for him to leave).

Forgot the restrict free agent part, probably would be a third rounder then for him so pick 44 for us I guess atm which is about right
If the afl I'd planning to get rid of compo picks I'd try and flog Dunn Garland JKH and anyone we can for later picks and see if we can flip them for a first again this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm shocked to be sitting here.
What would people take for him
I'd hope for a pick in the 30s but to be honest I'd take any 3rd rounder and say thanks for the shitty times we put you through
Get him to the club of his choice.

They just re-signed Garland last off season, they aren't going to flog him off for picks we don't need.

He'll be back in the team soon enough.

You do have a good track history Dez, just like when you stuck with toumpas and look how well he is going at the Dee's this year, or when you wanted Howe forward, yet that's going well

You do have a good track history Dez, just like when you stuck with toumpas and look how well he is going at the Dee's this year, or when you wanted Howe forward, yet that's going well

This coming from a bloke that compared Travis Johnstone and Dom Tyson.

I said I wanted to persist with Toumpas, that was an opinion but I'm happy with Kennedy.

Your comment about Howe is idiotic, I wanted Howe up forward because we had no other marking targets other than Hogan and Howe wasn't defending anyone in the back half.

You get on your high horse about people dropping Wagner due to bias yet you apply the same bias against Garland and overstate his mistakes (same with Grimes) like you claim people do to Wagner. It's a fair amount of hypocrisy on your part.

Lots of rose-tinted glasses ITT. I like Grimes, I'm sure we all do, but every time he's been called up at AFL level under Roos - he's failed. Deserves a final chance, but its a bit silly to suggest he should be getting a game ahead of Oliver, or that Garland being called up ahead of him is unfair. They play different positions. Wagner and Hunt are the ones who have taken his mid-sized defender spot.

This coming from a bloke that compared Travis Johnstone and Dom Tyson.

I said I wanted to persist with Toumpas, that was an opinion but I'm happy with Kennedy.

Your comment about Howe is idiotic, I wanted Howe up forward because we had no other marking targets other than Hogan and Howe wasn't defending anyone in the back half.

You get on your high horse about people dropping Wagner due to bias yet you apply the same bias against Garland and overstate his mistakes (same with Grimes) like you claim people do to Wagner. It's a fair amount of hypocrisy on your part.
Yeah and look where Grimes and Garland are playing
Anyone talking to you isn't productive so I'll move on

Tulip
Roos has very clearly stamped Grimes paper, I think he is unlucky that the club wants to blood hunt and Wagner so badly but I can see Wagners kicking and Hunts line breaking as advantages grimes doesn't have
He won't make an AFL list as a midfielder but surely Richmond GC Brisbane could use am experience small defender with leadership

Considering both the Essendon and Melbourne boards have conceded that he may well be off the the Dees, I can see us getting somebody like him. Not quite a like for a like but pretty close.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back