Holden Colorado ad - John Kennedy speech

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if anyone else has seen the latest Holden Colorado ad which borrows heavily in the voiceover from (amongst others) John Kennedy's famous "Do Something" speech.

Personally I'm not so sure about the appropriateness of it - an integral part of the folklore exhibiting the passion for our club being used to advertise a car? Do we have some sort of association with them, or sponsorship agreement? Has this in some way been approved by the club?

Interested to hear others' thoughts too...

It is puzzling. As you wrote, it's such a loaded speech with emotional resonance for Hawthorn supporters. But beyond that, it's just a collection of words.

I'm not sure what it adds/communicates in the context of the ad, for Hawthorn supporters who anybody for that matter.

It's a bit of borrowed interest. Sloppy, lazy and just plain odd.

As for appropriateness: just about everything is whored for a dollar (not saying we have in this case), you have enough dollars, you can get the original or publishing rights to just about anything.

I guess if I was involved in this campaign my criteria would be: what are we trying to say? And does this speech help communicate that to our target audience? And from the outside looking in - a casual observer, if you like - I can't for the life of me see what it does.

Maybe I'm annoyed about nothing, I've overracted and the club has made a dollar out of it. But I wonder where you draw the line? Is it ok to use Churchill's "We shall fight them on the beaches" or King Jr's "I have a dream" to advertise product? I would say clearly no, but perhaps others disagree?

Anyway I'll try to get over it, and not annoy the wife with registering a complaint with her every time the ad comes on telly :)

Agree doesn't fit the type of ad and makes me cringe everytime it's on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back