How Special Mark Williams?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bennycoff said:
He is oh so special, pure class. If he finds the fitness levels to play midfield/forward rotating he will be a superstar, will be better then Nathan Brown I have no doubt about it.

LOL.

He is on another planet sometimes. I enjoyed how Cameron Bruce said to him after Williams stuff up to "wake up". Thats exactly right.

I think he is too one dimensional - Lead and try to mark. Should this fail his defensive skills are a disgrace. I would love to see how many hard ball gets he has had this year.

Also Chance Bateman is coming too predictable. When he kicks into the forwaqrd line he will almost certainly go to Williams.

Informer said:
He is on another planet sometimes. I enjoyed how Cameron Bruce said to him after Williams stuff up to "wake up". Thats exactly right.

I think he is too one dimensional - Lead and try to mark. Should this fail his defensive skills are a disgrace. I would love to see how many hard ball gets he has had this year.

Also Chance Bateman is coming too predictable. When he kicks into the forwaqrd line he will almost certainly go to Williams.

A tale of two full forwards, Have a look in your own backyard!

Mark Williams v Kent Kingsley - www.pro-stats.com.au

Herbs hawks said:
Tend to agree abit, i love the bloke and think he will become a star but right now he needs to one grab afew more marks a work on defensive tackles and locking the ball in. I dont know if lazy is the right word though?

Informer, The above was my statment a couple of weeks back to the question is he lazy.

I would like to add,
Still has a way to go, a young man who has enough class to suggest will work towards a much better defensive game. Will be much better in 12 months time.

Informer said:
You're right on the money Herb. 12 months and he will be a lot better. He certainly has talent. Maybe needs to get a little stronger aswell.

Your second point is the one, There are alot of small bodies at Hawthorn at the moment. More so than on any other list. I understand with so many 18 - 23 year olds running around you have to except it a bit but gee's, some of the guys would still need a map to find the Gym i would think.

Informer said:

Agree to an extent informer, some days williams doesnt look switched on, whether thats due to the load of being the teams one key fwd every week at 180cm and getting double teamed or simply motivation not sure.
Does appeared to be a bit more lazy this year, with less consistent second efforts, and defensive pressure. He may of got away with this last year when he would convert every set shot, but when he's kicking 2.4 in a game his lack of defensive pressure and helping out teammates starts to stand out.
Also bateman seems to be out of sorts atm, but he wouldnt be the only one who is way too much williams conscious. We may not have big power fwds at the moment but the midfields poor decision making ie kick to williams against 3 opponents regardless, is making our fwd line look more impotent than it is. Seeing the midfieldeers continually ignoring their leads despite having time and space on their opponents would be v frustrating for roughie and dixons and may be linked to our fwds stopping presenting and working as games go on as their hard work is not being rewarded by the midfielders.

"our fwds stopping presenting and working as games go on as their hard work is not being rewarded by the midfielders."

"We may not have big power fwds at the moment but the midfields poor decision making ie kick to williams against 3 opponents regardless, is making our fwd line look more impotent than it is. Seeing the midfieldeers continually ignoring their leads "

something we're going to mouth off about. We're not happy Al.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im moved by the efforts of some of the team today to finally post.

Mark Williams was terrible yesterday. I would have been harder, except he was moved onto the ball in the last qtr and appeared to go the ball on occasion. I would sum his first 3 qtrs of footy up as abysmal, almost as though he were playing to be dropped. At one point, a Port player ran past him, and he was standing still picking his shorts outta his arse crack. About as lame as you can get. Last qtr saw a passage where he gathered the ball, evaded and broke a tackle (and survive attempted dacking!), then offloaded. It was good to see this 3 seconds of brilliance, that he can play outside the goalsquare and isnt just the one dimensional goalkicker. For a moment, I think he may have even been enjoying his footy.

Given that there was nothing doing up forward anyway, why dont we see more of this? His skill, and ability is wasted when its limited to 1/2 dozen possessions a game. Get him outta the goals and onto the ball. Make him earn his keep (should keep some of you guys happy!), use his skill where its otherwise wasted, but more importantly - allow the guy to have a fair crack at contributing and maybe even enjoy his footy.

The way its going, I can see the Hawks loosing faith in the guy and seeking to offload. More likely, Mark taking his boots to where he would get more satisfaction from a game of footy

Cheers,
Steve

Agree that passage in the last quarter looked good but its what happens when the ball isnt in his hands that is the problem No chasing, no second efforts, no intensity just spectates and doesnt go in. Can see in glimpses why the coaches push him up the ground and see him as a potential midfielder but doesnt go hard enough or work.

This may sound ridiculous to some but if the season is over wouldnt mind seeing him tag someone like a burgoyne or a pearce today or a wells for a half and see how hard they work. If he gets carved up (as i assume he will with his current work ethic) then hopefully he'll click that theres more to footy than taking chest marks on the lead. Gets away with too many poor efforts in the fwd line IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back