Opinion Jeremy Finlayson verdict broader discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

yep we are on a slippery slope where today what we are pushing seems reasonable cos the minority is worthy so we need to watch what we say, but the activists are never happy with those current limits to our freedoms because sooner or later they will be coming down harder on another change to what seems normal, and then those happy to see these penalties may find that they are now offenders because the new rules say the new normal affects more people and tyranny becomes the signature of our society. Freedom is hard won but easily lost and we need to be careful we don't end up finding ourselves in a speech prison where the mildest comment is worthy of massive fines and court appearances with the baying mob enjoying the hunt.
Just wondering how you’re going with all those other freedoms you’ve lost since the use of certain other words aren’t acceptable on the footy field?

Mofo is an interesting one, like many insults or derogatory language, it bothers people it actually applies to a lot more. 😂.
I posted in the discussion about Clarke's CS insult discussion do people honestly believe that when an American (USAian) calls someone a motherfecker they are accusing them of incest. The problem with a lot of the insults that are in common usage is that people don't know the origin and the true meaning, they just know that it is an insult.

The Steve Price article in this morning's Advertiser is a brilliant read. It sums up the Jeremy Finlayson situation perfectly.

Price calls out the over reaction by the AFL and gay activists like Ian Roberts. Good stuff and five stars...

:star::star::star::star::star:

I posted the above in the media thread but it is also relevant in here.

I posted in the discussion about Clarke's CS insult discussion do people honestly believe that when an American (USAian) calls someone a motherfecker they are accusing them of incest. The problem with a lot of the insults that are in common usage is that people don't know the origin and the true meaning, they just know that it is an insult.

Quite correct. I posted the recipe for traditional old English ******s in another thread. I reckon I could write a 1000 word article on the subject of ******s without once making a homophobic slur. As I posted in the other thread...

What for tea tonight Mum?
We are having your favorite dear- roasted ******s. Could you go and collect a ****** of firewood so I can start the cooking?

Oh the joys of censorship where you see ****** please insert farget or similar. ;)

Quite correct. I posted the recipe for traditional old English ******s in another thread. I reckon I could write a 1000 word article on the subject of ******s without once making a homophobic slur. As I posted in the other thread...

We are having your favorite dear- roasted *s. Could you go and collect a * of firewood so I can start the cooking?

Oh the joys of censorship where you see ****** please insert farget or similar. ;)

No one mistakes the word ****** for an English recipe you silly old boomer

The Steve Price article in this morning's Advertiser is a brilliant read.

Steve Price....

The Advertiser....

'is a brilliant read'

Words that do not belong in the same sentence. Ever.

I posted the above in the media thread but it is also relevant in here.

Absolutely. But not for the reasons you probably think.

Steve Price....

The Advertiser....

'is a brilliant read'

Words that do not belong in the same sentence. Ever.

Absolutely. But not for the reasons you probably think.

Have you bothered to read the article? My comment is about the content of that article not about the politics and history of the bloke who wrote it. It is all about the message not the messenger. Read the article then raise any specific points you do not agree with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you bothered to read the article? My comment is about the content of that article not about the politics and history of the bloke who wrote it. It is all about the message not the messenger.

The suggestion you can divorce Steve Price the shock jock and the Murdoch tabloids he writes for is BS.

I don't subscribe to the Murdoch tabloids so thankfully can't get behind the paywall to read his tripe but the twitter link to the story tells me all I need to know about it.

Screenshot 2024-04-13 at 12.19.24 PM.png

And even worse is that he has brought up Finn's wife's cancer battle as part of his rant.

Why conflate the two issues - a homophobic slur and a tragic personal battle with cancer? We all know why - to be controversial to get the clicks.

Make no mistake. Price has zero interest in Finn, the PAFC, or even the AFL. It's all about Price and his bloody culture wars.

Disgusting.

We are having your favorite dear- roasted *s. Could you go and collect a * of firewood so I can start the cooking?

You don't seriously believe that Finlayson was calling the Essendon player a bunch of sticks or an offal meatball? Context is everything.

You don't seriously believe that Finlayson was calling the Essendon player a bunch of sticks or an offal meatball? Context is everything.
You are right context is everything. No, we all know what Jeremy meant and as I posted elsewhere, 'I was only calling him a meatball' might have been a defence but I am not sure how successful it would have been.

On the subject of context when AI takes hold we may be able to post the recipe for ******s on line without getting the ****** treatment. AI software will be able to put the word into context and only edit it when it is used inappropriately. I am not a big fan of AI but it may have it's uses. The alternative is to edit all the dictionaries and remove the alternate meanings of the word but if we do that the homophobes will have won as their bigoted minds will have forced change upon the rest of us.

You are right context is everything. No, we all know what Jeremy meant and as I posted elsewhere, 'I was only calling him a meatball' might have been a defence but I am not sure how successful it would have been.

On the subject of context when AI takes hold we may be able to post the recipe for *s on line without getting the * treatment. AI software will be able to put the word into context and only edit it when it is used inappropriately. I am not a big fan of AI but it may have it's uses. The alternative is to edit all the dictionaries and remove the alternate meanings of the word but if we do that the homophobes will have won as their bigoted minds will have forced change upon the rest of us.
That was a quick break

On the subject of context when AI takes hold we may be able to post the recipe for *s on line without getting the * treatment. AI software will be able to put the word into context and only edit it when it is used inappropriately. I am not a big fan of AI but it may have it's uses. The alternative is to edit all the dictionaries and remove the alternate meanings of the word but if we do that the homophobes will have won as their bigoted minds will have forced change upon the rest of us.
Tell me friend, how often do you eat traditional British f*****s? Often, I assume. Otherwise you'd just be using their existence as a thinly veiled excuse to post a homophobic slur over and over again, and that would make you a horrible person.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back