moses

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Home
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
Picked up as a mature rookie by GWS, Giles has been very impressive in his debut season. After never quite making it at Port, he spent a few years working hard and playing solid football at SANFL level. Is a great example of someone who has worked hard on his weaknesses after falling off an Afl list and finally showing off his talent. What are people's thoughts on the guy?

Is definitely making the most of his opportunities as an AFL footballer.

Getting hyped like Smith did last year?

It's easy to be a standout ruckmen in a new team.

Not every thread has to be about Nic Nat :rolleyes:

Giles has been very good. Likely won't be a star but he's making the most of his 2nd opportunity at this level and deserves credit for that.

Not every thread has to be about Nic Nat :rolleyes:

Giles has been very good. Likely won't be a star but he's making the most of his 2nd opportunity at this level and deserves credit for that.

Who you brought up. Don't derail this thread with stupid comments.

I'd rather judge a ruckmen in a new side in there second season.

Smith hasn't been anywhere near as good as he was last year in my eyes. This could be due to the hype that he got last year. Likely traveling just as good this year.

A GC supporter could better evaluate that.

Getting hyped like Smith did last year?

It's easy to be a standout ruckmen in a new team.
Except Giles deserves the hype because he's been a dominant ruck/forward. It's all the little things Giles has been doing around the ground to help his team.

As for Smith, you're quite right. He's been poor compared to 2011.

Except Giles deserves the hype because he's been a dominant ruck/forward. It's all the little things Giles has been doing around the ground to help his team.

Not saying he hasn't been dominating which is why I asked it as a question.

Not sure he’s been dominating.

It’s the Supercoach syndrome again.

He’s been a solid ruckman with the mature body they’ve needed. Has performed well but there’s only ever a few ruckman around the league who dominate, and he’s not currently one of them.

Not sure he’s been dominating.

It’s the Supercoach syndrome again.

He’s been a solid ruckman with the mature body they’ve needed. Has performed well but there’s only ever a few ruckman around the league who dominate, and he’s not currently one of them.
I don't rate player performance by statistics. I think it's an incredibly poor measure of effectiveness, impact and overall performance. For instance, a close checking defender collecting a small amount of possession yet blanketing a forward limiting their output and team contribution is just as important as a cog further up the field distributing the football. You rarely see statistics congratulate a performance as such.

I try to watch every game where possible and rate the player's performance against the total team output and how they fared against their direct opponents.

I don't rate a player performance by statistics. I try to watch every game where possible and rate the player's performance against the total team output and how they fared against their direct opposition.

Fair enough, if that’s the case I’m not sure how you’d come to the conclusion he’s been dominant.

Solid, dependable, yes, dunno about dominant. But just my opinion.

Fair enough, if that’s the case I’m not sure how you’d come to the conclusion he’s been dominant.

Because he's taken telling marks, kicked goals, beaten opponents head to head and played his role within the team structure. I thought his performances might be affected as Brogan took over ruck duties for a short period of time but Giles output improved.

Then again, I'm not pretending that my opinion holds any more worth than yours or anyone else. They are just my observations of Giles head to head performances against direct opponents in the ruck of forward line in a developing team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is now an important part of making us a respectable side.

If he had cost a second-round pick, people would have been going 'good trade for a mature body'.

If he had cost a mid-first round pick - number 12, say - then people would regard it as GWS not having overpaid.

He will be on the long list of players getting a chunk of the money we arent paying Cloke.

It's a great story, how he was delisted but kept trying and got another opportunity which he's grabbed with both hands..

Apparently the Suns were interested in him as well but chose the other guy..

Anyway congreats to the Suns, it's a hard position to play and he's doing it pretty well - I would not say dominating, but he's making a bloody good effort each week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back