Past Jordan 'Moose' Lisle (2011-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

As soon as he got the ball, sold the dummy and wheeled around onto his preferred foot I instantly thought: "Come on Jordy, you slot these ones 10/10 in the reserves". Lets just say he didn't disappoint me! I let out a massive cheer when he kicked it:D:thumbsu:
Didn't we ALL! :thumbsu:

Jordy talking up his next game [after the carlton before the ADE game] at the Player Sponsor function at the Brunswick St Oval - Sunday 12th Aug2012
10lisle.jpg

Lisle looked like he was having difficulty judging the flight of the ball. He was usually running underneath the ball and then flinging an arm up in a vain attempt to mark the ball. Was rarely in a position to chest mark.

Also the commentators mentioned that his father played a lot of basketball, and that Jordan looked like he had picked up some skills from that background. His goal last week was probably a good example of that.

Lisle lighting it up for Lions
31 Aug, 2012
Michael Whiting

AFTER a late season flurry in the Brisbane Lions' seniors, Jordan Lisle has no regrets about leaving Hawthorn.

The 22-year-old key position player was traded to the Lions at the end of last season after playing just five games in three years at the Hawks behind established forwards Lance Franklin and Jarryd Roughead.

It was not an easy transition north for Lisle, playing almost the entire season in the Lions' reserves before debuting for the club against Richmond in round 19.

When he runs out against the Western Bulldogs at the Gabba on Sunday, it will mark five straight games.

JL562b.jpg

Lisle lighting it up for Lions
31 Aug, 2012
Michael Whiting

one would have to seriously question why it took him so long to get into the senior team, it's not like he was competing against a brown and bradshaw as he would've a couple of seasons ago. the position was there for the taking, yet he took so long to claim it. we had to use our best backman in that position for so long in the interim. maybe we would have won more games had both been playing in their correct positions.

one would have to seriously question why it took him so long to get into the senior team, it's not like he was competing against a brown and bradshaw as he would've a couple of seasons ago. the position was there for the taking, yet he took so long to claim it. we had to use our best backman in that position for so long in the interim. maybe we would have won more games had both been playing in their correct positions.

From what the reserves watchers were saying, he wasn't looking in good form until well into the season. Probably after the halfway mark. Given he moved from Melbourne for the first time, I don't really begrudge him some aclimatization time.

one would have to seriously question why it took him so long to get into the senior team.

Because the role we needed him to play required the ability to be able to play in the ruck. He simply had to develop that part of his game in the reserves before he was ready for the seniors. In the interim, Merrett was seen as the better option.

I think as others have said, form was an issue. I watched the lions ressies vs nt game from earlier in the year recently and Jordy was playing out of the back line. Not sure whether that was a regular position for him at that stage, but it did seem strange when I saw it. He may have been moved around a bit, as the coaches tried to find his best position. That ressies team had a lot of up and coming tall talent - mckeever, clarke, Hudson (and Scott Clarke as back-up), Retzy, ace plus Sam Michael and Jordy (Billy wasn't playing) so I'm wondering if the coaches were jut experimenting with him because they didn't have to play him in a specific role. Hate to say it, but perhaps Retzy's injury helped Jordy find his feet...

Either way, it's good to see him come in and show something. Early days yet but he looks quite mobile for such a big lump.

Does his best work outside the forward 50. He's been fairly useful, but if he can start doing some damage in the forward 50, that's when opposition coaches will be getting headaches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs to work on his skills when the ball is down low...very poor below his knees, almost cringeworthy at the moment.

He hasn't had Browny's years of practice attempting to pick up kicks that are targeted at his ankles.

Much more encouraged this week than last. Showed some good signs for a KPF, both in his marking and goal kicking (the two most important aspects). His chasing really impressed me too. Still some way to go yet, though.

Much more encouraged this week than last. Showed some good signs for a KPF, both in his marking and goal kicking (the two most important aspects). His chasing really impressed me too. Still some way to go yet, though.
The thing I like about him is he plays that natural CHF more then a FF.

Roams up the ground very nicely and has a good pair of hands.

Jordan Lisle 2012 End of Season Review
by Jorgo

Senior games: 5
Goals: 4
Dreamteam: 316
Supercoach: 356
Club Best and Fairest votes: 1

6689011103_85b65afd6c_z.jpg

Image (2012 preseason) courtesy of Mr Ripper

Promising.

With the departure of Mitch Clark the Lions would look to bolster their key tall depth by trading pick 29 in the 2011 Draft for Hawthorn tall Jordan Lisle. And after spending three years on the Hawks list for a return of just five Senior games Jordan would see Brisbane as a chance for more opportunities than at Hawthorn. It sounded like a nice win-win scenario for all parties involved but it would take most of the 2012 season before those Senior opportunities became reality for Lisle.

Drafted as a forward for Hawthorn he was largely forced to play a defensive role in his limited senior opportunities there. It was commonly believed that this would be his best chance in the Lions lineup also with Matt Maguire out of favour amongst Lions supporters after 2011. However Rob Kerr would hint that they had drafted him to play forward, but would also admit that his versatility was a key reason behind the trade.

Kerr's words would prove well founded when Lisle lined up in the Lions forward line in the NAB Cup. This would have also been helped by the absence of injured skipper, and the Lions key forward target, Jonathan Brown. However Lisle would hardly set the world on fire in his first outings in Lions colours, going goalless in NAB Cup Rd2 vs Adelaide. He would show some of his versatility also during pre-season by providing a chop out in the ruck for fellow new recruit Ben Hudson in a NEAFL Practice match.

Through the early period of the NEAFL season Lisle would seemingly struggle to make an impact. Whether it was him adjusting to the different standard of play in the NEAFL competition or something else most Reserves watchers would criticise a lack of aggro & confidence as the key defecincies in his game.

However, despite some goal kicking yips at times, once his season got going it really started to motor along impressively. In NEAFL Rd11 Lisle kicked 6 goals and had 26 possessions thanks largely to an impressive 11 marks. This high marking output would become a regular feature of his contribution at this level with 12 in Rd15, 11 in Rd16 & 13 in Rd18. This, coupled with an impressive 36 goals in just 9 games after Rd18, brought his name to the forefront amongst Lions supporters in terms of Senior selection.

But perhaps the strongest reason why his name was being pushed by Lions fans was because of what he had shown in the role of ruck/forward in the Reserves. With the constant question of when would Daniel Merrett return to fullback in the Seniors, Lisle was seen as the one who could release Merrett from the ruck/forward role he had been playing and allow him to return to his home in defence. An ankle injury to Matt Maguire eventually forced Merrett back to the backline which would open the door for Lisle, who subsequently made his Senior debut for the Lions in Round 19.

He would go on to play every Senior game for the rest of the season but would again seem to take some time to adjust to the new level put before him. A decent performance in his second Senior outing (19 possessions with 10 marks) would show some promise but it was commonly said that he had been "safe" with his disposals and lacked hurt factor. Despite these comments there was enough glimpses of quality including, a composed, baulk, sidestep & first Senior goal, to provide hope that he could become a valuable player for Brisbane.

Once the Senior season had completed Jordan would suit up alongside his former Reserves team mates in the NEAFL Finals Series. He would play a strong role in the Lions NEAFL Premiership, and subsequent NEAFL Inter-Conference Championship, kicking a big bag of 8 goals in the latter to finish his year on a celebratory note.

2013 will be a big year in his career and could well define how successful his move to Brisbane will be. Having played five Senior games to round out the season and showing a heap in the NEAFL Finals Series there will be a lot more expectation on him to come out blazing in the Seniors from the start of next season. Whether he can meet those expectations will be one of the intriguing reasons to watch the Lions in 2013.

Be interesting to see where Lisle plays next year. With Longer likely to play more of a role in the ruck, Leuenberger back, Martin providing greater versatility than Hudson, and Close providing another option, it might not be neccessary for Lisle to continue as a part-time ruckman. And with Paparone and Close as additional tall targets, he might provide greater value as a key defender. Probably not ideal to keep moving him around, but fringe players don't always get that luxury.

Depends on his form leading into the season i think, but i would like to see us try running a set up of Brown, Lisle, Martin and Staker. It's 4 talls, but Staker and Martin are very athletic, especially if Staker players high up the ground. I don't think we will play many of the new players in the seniors, we dont' seem to play the new guys too much. We will at least want a solid period of form in the 2nds before they get a crack.

However, in saying that, Staker and Lisle would maybe be the first 2 players to be swung back if injuries happened, which would open the door for Close or Papa to debut. I don't think Lisle will take much of the ruck duties, which might help him in his forward development.

But, the club might only want 3 talls and make the choice of Lisle or Martin to be that 2nd ruck. NAB cup will be interesting to see how we line up.

Merrett welcomes aggression at pre-season training
January 22, 2013
Greg Davis

With former Hawk Jordan Lisle leading the race to be Brown's foil in 2013 ahead of ex-Demon Stefan Martin and a host of rookie recruits, Merrett is glad to return to the backline which has been nicknamed "The Men's Club'' by Brisbane defenders.
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2013-01-22/lions-bare-teeth-at-training
Lions bare teeth at training
January 22, 2013
Michael Whiting

Merrett went for a second-year Lion when asked who he thought had had the best pre-season.

"Probably Jordy Lisle at this stage," he said.

"He's really stepped up, definitely matured, talking a lot more and he's improved his fitness. From my point of view, at this stage he's up there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back