* overtures from Carlton (#49)
* 2007 review (#60)
* new running technique (#61)
* 2008 review (#115)
* 50th game (#189)
* 2009 review (#195)
* ACL injury in left knee (#202)
* LARS (#225)
* inducted into Sunshine Coast Hall of Fame (#245)
* 2010 review (#295)
* joins leadership group (#363)
* torn meniscus in left knee (#429)
* bone bruising in left knee (#468)
* hip surgery (#495)
* 2011 review (#498)
* restricted free agent (#524)
* retirement (#595)
* 2012 review (#612)

Contract status: 2011 -> 2012

Merrett-Murray Medal results:

2005: =16th (26.5 votes)
2006: 24th (11 votes)
2007: 17th (25 votes)
2008: =15th (22 votes)
2009: 10th (30 votes)
2010: 20th (14.5 votes)
2011: 22nd (6.5 votes)
2012: 10 votes

Coaches' votes:

Tribunal record:

Lions elevate Drummond

drummondlu0.jpg

Lions elevate Drummond
4:09:55 PM Thu 12 May, 2005
Sportal for afl.com.au

The Brisbane Lions have elevated defender/forward Josh Drummond from their rookie list to senior list.

Drummond has been promoted due to the season-ending knee injury sustained by midfielder Richard Hadley against Richmond in a Wizard Regional Challenge Series match.

The 22 year-old was also placed on the senior list last season, when emerging Lion Daniel Merrett was on the long-term injury list and was named an emergency on three occasions.

Drummond has shone in the AFLQ this season, having been named the Suncoast Lions' best player in three of the four matches he has played.

Cool, Calm Drummond catches eye

2njhova.jpg

Cool, calm Drummond catches the eye
12:20:51 AM Sun 22 May, 2005

Recent rookie elevation Josh Drummond continued his smooth transition to AFL football with a fine display in the AAPT Brisbane Lions' four-point loss to Richmond at the Gabba on Saturday night.

Drummond, who debuted at senior level against Adelaide last weekend, stood tall in the face of the Tigers' many attacking raids to finish with 18 disposals and five marks.

He pumped the bal inside 50m three times and, most impressively of all, handled kick-in duties with aplomb when asked to replace regular kicker Chris Johnson for most of the last three quarters.

The 22-year-old's display didn't escape the eye of triple-premiership coach Leigh Matthews, who, while disappointed by the loss, was pleased with the Sunshine Coast product's poise and foot skills.

"Josh has had a couple of really good games. He looks like he's played a lot of senior football," Matthews said.

"He's got more composure out there than some guys who have got hundreds more games under their belt. Josh has been a plus for us - I'm very pleased.

"He's a good kick of the ball. He's taken a while to earn his spot, to get his chance and he's played all-right in the couple he has."

Lions reaping the rewards

drummondbn2.jpg

Lions reaping the rewards
2:27:11 PM Wed 2 November, 2005
Jason Phelan
Sportal for afl.com.au

Brisbane has reaped the benefit of its careful cultivation of Queensland footballing talent with local boys Josh Drummond and Marcus Allan earning spots on the senior list this week.

Twenty two-year old Drummond was elevated from the rookie list for the second time this year when Richard Hadley was placed on the long-term injury list. He impressed with his poise and composure in defence.

After making his debut against Adelaide in round eight, the Maroochydore local went on to play 14 games and put in some eye-catching performances - including a 26-possession, eight-mark effort against Essendon in round 17.

The long-kicking left footer played with the Northern Eagles in the local competition before being rookie-listed by the Lions in 2004 and he couldn't be happier with his permanent elevation.

"At the start of the year I was probably a long way off, but the goal was to get a game and just hope for a bit of luck. Obviously, I never imagined that things would turn out the way they did," Drummond told lions.com.au.

"It's definitely not easy out there but I had some really good experienced players alongside me and that definitely helped. I think being a few years older than most first- year players are was also a pretty big help - I've played a lot of reserves footy against older guys and that was good preparation."

Josh back in black

Josh back in black

By NATHAN WOULFE

FOR Maroochydore product Josh Drummond, 2006 was probably not his most memorable season.

Troubled by ankle, shoulder and soft tissue injuries, he spent weeks on the sidelines as the Lions went from premiership big cats to competition kittens.

The arrival of the 2007 pre-season sees the injuries all but distant memories and Drummond ready to return to the paddock; in any position coach Leigh Matthews deems necessary.

“Anywhere on the paddock is a good start,” Drummond said.

“I’ve played mostly in the backline, but played forward a bit last year.

“I’m not really fussed so long as I’m healthy.

“I’ll do whatever I can to help the team out; it’s good to be able to give the option and not be a one-dimensional player.”

With pre-season training gaining momentum, Drummond is still nursing the troublesome shoulder that limited his match time in 2006.

“It is dragging on, but I’m back into training and concentrating on building muscle and getting it stronger,” he said.

“I’m feeling good; all the boys are looking fit and healthy.”

None more than Lions rookie Daniel Dzufer, who has played alongside Drummond for the Suncoast Lions.

“He was pretty unlucky not to get drafted,” Drummond said.

“He’s training really hard; he always puts it in on the track.

“Obviously he’s still young so he has a couple of years to have a real crack at it.”

Drummond said that if the Lions’ injury woes from last season continue, Dzufer may not have to wait long for his shot at the big league.

“Our last couple of years have been a bit disappointing; we had a lot of injuries to our big names last year; the list changed over a fair bit,” he said.

“It gave the young guys a taste and that should hold us in good stead for this year.

“We just need a few of the young blokes to step up and help out.”

Link

Josh Drummond on board with the Sunshine Coast Juniors

It is with great pleasure that the Caloundra RSL AFL Sunshine Coast Juniors announce that Brisbane Lions defender Josh Drummond has become the League’s ambassador for season 2007.

Josh was born in April 1983 and spent most of his junior days with a football in his hands. At only a young age, he joined his local junior football club, the Maroochydore Roos, where he remained until he graduated as an under 16 player in 1999.

“There was a period where we won three premierships in a row all by six points or less,” Drummond recalls. “We won one by six points, one by two points and one by one point which was just amazing.”

Josh singled out the Maroochydore Roos’ nail-biting one point triumph over the Cooloola Bears in a tough and muddy battle for the 1993 premiership as one of his junior highlights.

He continued his football journey representing a number of Sunshine Coast and Queensland Country sides, including time with the AFLQ’s Northern Eagles where he chased his dream of playing at the highest level.

Josh’s big break came in 2003 when he was drafted to the Brisbane Lions’ rookie list where he spent most of his time preparing himself both physically and mentally for the rigours of AFL. When Lions forward-come-backman Daniel Merrett was struck down with a bout of glandular fever in 2004, the Lions chose to elevate Drummond from the rookie list and made him available for senior selection. During his time on the club’s senior list, he was selected as an emergency four times and failed to take his long-awaited AFL debut.

Fortunately lightning struck twice for Drummond. Through persistence, hard work and a string of fine performances with the Suncoast Lions in 2005, Drummond was elevated for a second time when team mate Richard Hadley suffered his first season-ending knee injury.

Drummond was determined to make the most of his second chance when the time arose for him to take to the field for the first time on the big stage. His opportunity came in round 8 of 2005 when the Lions travelled to AAMI Stadium to tackle the Adelaide Crows. Despite being in traditionally hostile territory, Drummond shone on debut and helped the Lions edge over the line in a tight contest. Playing predominantly in the backline, he limited dangerous Crows forward Scott Welsh to just seven possessions and two goals while helping himself to 15 possessions, five of which cleared the ball from the team’s defensive 50m.

His poise, run and exceptional long kicking made him a valuable asset for the remainder of the season where he played 14 of the Club’s final 15 matches. By seasons end, his performances were rewarded with a permanent elevation onto the Lions senior list.

Drummond was dealt a cruel blow at the beginning of the 2006 season when he sustained a serious shoulder injury in the first round from which he didn’t return for three months. He revisited his 2005 form upon return later in the season before back related hamstring injuries ended his season prematurely. He managed only a total of 7 matches in his second season with the Brisbane Lions.

Through sheer determination and perserverence, Josh has developed into an uncompromising backman with a raking left foot kick that coach Leigh Matthews has used to advantage from the kick-ins. When the opportunity presents, Josh has also used his kicking ability to effect up forward kicking a career total of 12 goals.

Despite having his 2007 pre-season delayed somewhat through injury, Drummond is now determined to return to the senior team this season despite having his 2007 pre-season delayed by minor injury concerns.

“I’m now really just keen to get back out onto the field and get a full and consistent year of senior football out of myself,” he said.

Keep an eye out for Josh in the number 39 Guernsey for the Lions when their season commences on Saturday 31 March against Hawthorn at the Gabba.

A lot of work there Grim. Much appreciated. I would have missed the Sunshine Coast Daily article.

I think I prefer him in the backline. I saw him play forward at one game and he gave me too much angst with his accuracy or rather, inaccuracy.

I'm with you Dan. We need someone you can kick in. Whether we need his style of player or not down back we were murdered as a result of rubbish kick-ins last year and we need someone with an accurate long kick...and yes, we also need some guys who know where to run to receive said kick.

Link

Injury relegates Drummond to sideline

BRISBANE Lions player Josh Drummond is resigned to missing the start of the AFL season after suffering yet another frustrating injury that has the potential to sideline him for a lengthy period. The Maroochydore product’s 2007 preparations have been severely hampered by an upper leg injury, which has hampered the utility’s pre-season preparations since Christmas.
The news is a cruel blow for the 23-year-old, who suffered a dislocated shoulder in the opening round last season against Geelong, before injuring his quad at training after being selected to make his seniors return in round 12 against the Bulldogs.

After playing just eight top-level matches last year, Drummond admits he is unable to put a timeframe on when he will return to the football field.
"It could be as short as three weeks, it could be as long as indefinite. You just don’t know with the nature of the injury and how it’s going to pull up," he said.
Drummond said he was enjoying one of his best pre-seasons to date as a Lion before injury reared its ugly head yet again.
"I had a pretty good pre-season up until Christmas time and then it went haywire. It’s frustrating but there’s not much I can do about it at the moment," he said.
"I woke up and went for a run one morning and it felt a little funny.
"I was still able to train for a couple of weeks, but it gradually got worse and worse to the extent where I had to really back off what I was doing (at training).
"Hopefully I’ll be back into full training next week, provided it pulls up all right."
The injury is listed as a three-to-four-week proposition on the club’s website, but Drummond is optimistic he will be back on deck for the Suncoast Lions’ opening game of the season.
"I’m hoping the best case scenario is to play round one in the reserves and try and get back from there," he said.
Drummond admits it has been tough watching the Lions’ promising array of youngsters perform so well in the NAB Cup, and would desperately love to be playing in the pre-season competition final against Carlton on Saturday night.
"Most of the young guys wouldn’t have played in too many big games, even also myself," he said.
"Even though its a pre-season competition it’s a final and something to get excited about.
"Personally it’s frustrating, but it’s also good to see the way they’re playing and we’ve still got a few blokes to come back in."
On the positive side, the shoulder injury that wrecked his 2006 season is all but a distant memory.
"My shoulder’s feeling great. Even when I came back last year it was nowhere near one hundred per cent," he said. "But that’s ancient history and I won’t be worrying too much about that."

Hopefully when he does return, he can make the first team and perform consistently. His long bombs forward are a joy to watch and he a posseses a better goalscoring threat than most defenders. Matthews doesn't even need to move him onto the half-forward flank.

Lets hope he gets through tonight then, will be great to have him back.we have so many players, to come back who have showed promise ,but havent really proved themselves. I hope Josh can go from strength to strength, think he has a lot to offer the team.

I have huge raps on Josh Drummond and cannot wait for him to get back in the team. Will be there earky tonight so will have a squizzy at how he looks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

drummondxw0.jpg

Link

Seven goals for Drummond in Suncoast's first victory

THE Sunshine Coast's best AFL product, Josh Drummond, engineered the Suncoast Lions' first win of the AFLQ Velocity Sports Cup season with a brilliant display in a high-quality win over Morningside at the Gabba yesterday.

Drummond booted three goals in the first quarter and four in the last as he spearheaded two huge Lions surges that resulted in a 20.18 (138)-15.13 (103) victory.

Playing his fourth game back after a string of injury problems in the off-season, Drummond looked match-hardened and ready for a senior recall from the outset.

Opposed to former Lions rookie list player Matt Pardew, Drummond ran all over the forward line to collect his kicks and most of the ball was channelled through him as the Suncoast posted seven of the first nine goals inside 15 minutes.

In a sparkling opening to the end-to-end contest, 15 goals were kicked between the two sides as the Lions opened a 20-point gap.

They maintained that through the middle parts of the game, despite Drummond's radar going amiss with four shots at goal going awry.

It will be interesting when Drummo gets back what role he will play. The back half looks fairly settled so he may get a run in the forward line. He played forward a bit last year and was only moderately successful. If he does play in defence, will he get the kick in duties? Drummond is a beautiful kick, but Adcock has been doing a good job. Adcock seems to be directing the play in the back half, so they may feel it is best if they leave him with the kick ins.

What a champ!

Was speaking to him last night*, and continuing a conversation from May 2006 (said I hadn't seen him since then). He remembered and even asked about my cat!

You'll make a fine politician someday Mr Drummond! ;)

*Victorian players' sponsor function

Switched back to defence and looked a lot better player. He is the man for the kickins and to play that 'quarterback' role. He has sublime footskills which allows him to switch the play without risk, and he can kick very long which opens up a lot more options.

drummondjz5.jpg

Not sure if this has been posted any where (knowing my luck it would have been) but the below is from the AFL site's Monday wrap:

How's stat? … Josh Drummond plays the game of the season
In just his third match of 2007 after a gluteal injury interrupted his start to the season, Brisbane Lion Josh Drummond produced the best performance of the season, at least according to Champion Data player rankings. Alongside the small matter of intercepting a Kane Johnson pass to Matthew Richardson just moments before the final siren, Drummond won a game-high 30 disposals at a 97 per cent efficiency rate, adding 13 marks and seven contested possessions. His Champion Data rating of 227 points was a season-best by any AFL player, pipping West Coast's Daniel Kerr, who won 225 points in round one against Sydney.

Cannot believe he has only played 3 games this year. I have only watched the first qtr of the tiges game (due to deficiency of the streaming capability of the AFL site) but was good to see him resume the kick-in responsabilities again.

Drummond has been our top disposal getter in 3 of his 6 games this year:

Round 8 Essendon - 21 (6th)
Round 9 Collingwood - 15 (11th)
Round 10 Richmond - 30 (1st)
Round 11 Bulldogs - 30 (1st)
Round 12 Geelong - 28 (1st)
Round 13 Port - 28 (3rd)

Drummond has been our top disposal getter in 3 of his 6 games this year:

Round 8 Essendon - 21 (6th)
Round 9 Collingwood - 15 (11th)
Round 10 Richmond - 30 (1st)
Round 11 Bulldogs - 30 (1st)
Round 12 Geelong - 28 (1st)
Round 13 Port - 28 (3rd)

To be fair, he played loose man in defense.

Link

Drummond limped off the MCG with a knee injury in Brisbane's 93-point weekend thrashing of Collingwood.
The 24-year-old defender did not train yesterday and is listed to have a fitness test.

drummondzl4.jpg

I think he's become a very important player for us. Our defensive unit, while stingy, is not overly skillful. We can get away with this with Drummond playing the quarterback role, but we may be exposed without him. I also remember our kick ins were very poor until Drummo took over.

JMac's kicking is better and Roey's is pretty good most of the time. Might need Stiller to play further back this week, to connect and deliver the ball out of there.

To be fair though, as good as Drummond has undoubtedly been since he returned, last week he had little impact on the game and that didn't really limit us at all. Stiller, Power and Lappin in particular did a lot of the hard running deep in defense.

Link

Brisbane Lions defender Josh Drummond has succumbed to a knee injury and will miss Saturday night's showdown with the Kangaroos at the Gabba.
Drummond has been a vital member of Brisbane's back six during the Lions' unbeaten four-match run through July, a month which delivered successive victories against the West Coast, Melbourne, Carlton and Collingwood.
"He's been kicking the ball in after behinds and that in itself is a great skill and he does that extremely well - picks the right option really well," Matthews said of Drummond in searing temperatures in Brisbane.

"And he's been a high-possession attacking defender so he's been very good for us."

"We're going to miss him."

drummondok8.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back