Remove this Banner Ad

DESTRUKTOR

All Australian
Jul 2, 2006
Geelong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hey Guys.

Getting married next march, finally(proposed GF day 2008).

Getting things sorted, but I want to suss out photographers. Does anyone out there have any recommendations? I live in the Geelong area. Just don't wanna get ripped off. It's one of the only things I am concerned about. So quality and value is the criteria here.

Cheers.

Hey Guys.

Getting married next march, finally(proposed GF day 2008).

Getting things sorted, but I want to suss out photographers. Does anyone out there have any recommendations? I live in the Geelong area. Just don't wanna get ripped off. It's one of the only things I am concerned about. So quality and value is the criteria here.

Cheers.

It's a really difficult thing, in my experience. Photographers, in general, have this thing going where they licence the images back to you. Even though you supply the subject matter and pay them, they own the copyright to the images and you pay for usage i.e. you might get a certain number of copies but you pay for extra etc. So that's off the bat. Ideally, if you can arrange some sort of buy-out that's the best way but it can get expensive. Then there's the whole industry around wedding photography to counter: there are many people who set themselves up who just aren't that great. We ended up hiring the assistant to a fairly well-known professional photographer, not a wedding photographer and arranged a buy-out. It worked out really well and we got some great shots not just the generic wedding stuff. However, think both of us have only looked at the photos once or twice. Seemed important at the time, but not so much afterwards!

My final word is photography costs and the restrictions that many photographers apply are insane. You think plumbers and sparkies are expensive, these guys can be through the roof.

As for specific photographers: can't help you there. Sorry.

My experience with both wedding and portrait photographers is that they make their money on the album and prints, not the shoot fee. Might also sell you a basic album package, but when you sit down in their studio with all the proofs, there is no way you can fit all your first choice shots in.... The dollars rack up very quickly.

Gotta say too, you do generally have to pay a bit for quality.

I used this guy.

Not the cheapest, but he does magnificent work, he plan it out with you in advance of the wedding day and most importantly on the day you will barely know he is there. Walks around with a couple of little Leica's in his bag (may have gone digital know, no idea) and just gets it done. I went to a wedding a few years back where the photographer set up a ladder in the aisle during the ceremony. That crap is uncalled for.

Thanks guys, will take it on board. Still haven't chosen one. Will do in the coming week or 3. Apart from a couple of things, I've managed to not get sucked into spending money just cause I can, and am getting what I want without paying the cost of a new car for it. Photographers are a bit annoying with that one. I would be happy with a third year student, so if anyone knows anyone, let me know. Any other advice or suggestions would be welcomed.

A workmate of mine has done some events if you're interested. She might have some work you can see on Facebook.

Thanks Guys. I have arranged Karina from Radio Halo to do our photography. She does a lot of band photography aswell. Suits us. Probably would've give those last couple of people a try, but with 5 weeks to go, time is getting short.

Got away with having the hawks theme song on the party boat, might sneak it into the wedding ceremony also, might be pushing it. Don't have to play an inferior clubs song as a trade-off either!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back