Make your 2 best teams!

Remove this Banner Ad

The Shev

Club Legend
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Make your best 22 and then your second best 22. It should even out to our whole playing list. There will be some quality players in the second team. Pretend that all players were fit, but also look at ways to balance the team, and not just put the players in their best position. For example, I will put J. White in a forward pocket, despite being our number one ruckmen and despite being his best role. This is because we have a very capable back-up in Jolly and we need White's height up forward. Try to give explanations to your team; rotations, decisions, etc...

MELBOURNE A

Vardy ----------------- Neitz ------------------- White
Robertson ----------- Miller ------------------- Green
Armstrong ----------- Thompson ------------- Bruce
Bizzell --------------- Holland ------------- Heffernan
Whelan -------------- Nicholson -------------- Ward
Jolly ------------------ Johnstone ------------- Yze

McLean ------ Sylvia ------ Ferguson ----- McDonald

The forward line structure is a good one. Neitz is the obvious choice in the goalsquare, and next to him will be another key tall in Jeff White. This will stretch opposition defences. In the other pocket is the clever Vardy. Strong, experienced full-forward line. The half-forward line is a bit smaller, but pretty versatile and clever. Robertson and Green playing out on the flanks, with the young Miller permanently playing as the key centre half forward. Makes it easier on Green and Robertson to have a big man next to them. The defence sees Nicholson as full back, with two small guys in Whelan and Ward. Depending on match ups, they may have to swap with Bizzell on the half back line. He plays next to big centre half back Ben Holland, with the classy Chris Heffernan picking up touches and providing run on the other flank. The midfield consists of the young and tough Scotty Thompson, with our two big guns Yze and Johnstone there as well. Bruce and Armstrong take up the wings to complete the mouth-watering midfield, which also has big Darren Jolly in the ruck. Midfielders McLean, Sylvia and McDonald will be ready to add run coming off the bench, and a back-up tall in Ferguson is needed. White can rotate with Jolly, Bruce can play a number of roles, Green and Whelan could be experimented in the midfield, with Heffernan another midfield option.

MELBOURNE B

Campbell ---------------- Smith -------------- Davey
Walsh -------------------- Wheatley --------- Johnson
Reid -------------------- Rigoni ------------- Williams
Brown ------------------- Carroll -------------- Hunter
Broadbridge ------------ Lamb --------------- Rivers
Jamar -------------------- Godfrey ------------ Bell

Newman ------- Fisher ------ Carson ------ Molan

A little stretched for tall forwards, so we have bucket hands Smith in the goalsquare, with the young Campbell and excitement machine Davey next to him. Wheatley must play as a tall as the centre half forward, with walsh experimenting as a half froward flanker/crumbing forward. The versatile Chris Johnson can take the other flank. Down back, Lamb holds the key spot in the goalsquare, with tall players Broadbridge and Rivers next to him. Depending on match ups, they could swap with the running half backs Brown and Hunter. Carroll is the centre half back. Jamar will ruck to a midfield consisting of Simon Godfrey, Guy Rigoni and the young Daniel Bell. Rookies Newman, Fisher, Carson and Molan will sit on the bench. There is no real back up ruckman, although there are plenty of talls who can rotate our key positions like Smith, Lamb, Carroll, Broadbridge, Wheatley, Jamar and Molan. There are a few guys who can rotate through the midfield.

Originally posted by The Shev
Make your best 22 and then your second best 22. It should even out to our whole playing list. There will be some quality players in the second team. Pretend that all players were fit, but also look at ways to balance the team, and not just put the players in their best position. For example, I will put J. White in a forward pocket, despite being our number one ruckmen and despite being his best role. This is because we have a very capable back-up in Jolly and we need White's height up forward. Try to give explanations to your team; rotations, decisions, etc...

MELBOURNE A

Vardy ----------------- Neitz ------------------- White
Robertson ----------- Miller ------------------- Green
Armstrong ----------- Thompson ------------- Bruce
Bizzell --------------- Holland ------------- Heffernan
Whelan -------------- Nicholson -------------- Ward
Jolly ------------------ Johnstone ------------- Yze

McLean ------ Sylvia ------ Ferguson ----- McDonald

The forward line structure is a good one. Neitz is the obvious choice in the goalsquare, and next to him will be another key tall in Jeff White. This will stretch opposition defences. In the other pocket is the clever Vardy. Strong, experienced full-forward line. The half-forward line is a bit smaller, but pretty versatile and clever. Robertson and Green playing out on the flanks, with the young Miller permanently playing as the key centre half forward. Makes it easier on Green and Robertson to have a big man next to them. The defence sees Nicholson as full back, with two small guys in Whelan and Ward. Depending on match ups, they may have to swap with Bizzell on the half back line. He plays next to big centre half back Ben Holland, with the classy Chris Heffernan picking up touches and providing run on the other flank. The midfield consists of the young and tough Scotty Thompson, with our two big guns Yze and Johnstone there as well. Bruce and Armstrong take up the wings to complete the mouth-watering midfield, which also has big Darren Jolly in the ruck. Midfielders McLean, Sylvia and McDonald will be ready to add run coming off the bench, and a back-up tall in Ferguson is needed. White can rotate with Jolly, Bruce can play a number of roles, Green and Whelan could be experimented in the midfield, with Heffernan another midfield option.

MELBOURNE B

Campbell ---------------- Smith -------------- Davey
Walsh -------------------- Wheatley --------- Johnson
Reid -------------------- Rigoni ------------- Williams
Brown ------------------- Carroll -------------- Hunter
Broadbridge ------------ Lamb --------------- Rivers
Jamar -------------------- Godfrey ------------ Bell

Newman ------- Fisher ------ Carson ------ Molan

A little stretched for tall forwards, so we have bucket hands Smith in the goalsquare, with the young Campbell and excitement machine Davey next to him. Wheatley must play as a tall as the centre half forward, with walsh experimenting as a half froward flanker/crumbing forward. The versatile Chris Johnson can take the other flank. Down back, Lamb holds the key spot in the goalsquare, with tall players Broadbridge and Rivers next to him. Depending on match ups, they could swap with the running half backs Brown and Hunter. Carroll is the centre half back. Jamar will ruck to a midfield consisting of Simon Godfrey, Guy Rigoni and the young Daniel Bell. Rookies Newman, Fisher, Carson and Molan will sit on the bench. There is no real back up ruckman, although there are plenty of talls who can rotate our key positions like Smith, Lamb, Carroll, Broadbridge, Wheatley, Jamar and Molan. There are a few guys who can rotate through the midfield.

Team A by 23 goals!:D

Not bad Shev, I'll post mine later.

Melbourne A

B. Whelan Lamb Bizzell
HB. Ward Holland Read
C. Johnstone Yze Sylvia
HF. Green Miller Robertson
F. McLean Neitz Davey
R. White Bruce Heffernan
Int. Jolly, Armstrong, Thompson, Vardy

Melbourne B

B. Walsh Nicholson Carroll
HB. Wheatley Molan Brown
C. Hunter Bell Rigoni
HF. Campbell Rivers Johnson
F. McDonald Smith Carson
R. Jamar Godfrey Fisher
Int. Newman, Carson, Broadbridge, Williams

Now that pre-season is over I'd go with this...

TEAM A

B: Ward, Nicholson, Rivers
HB: Bizzell, Holland, Brown
C: Johnstone, Godfrey, Yze
HF: Bruce, Miller, Green
F: Vardy, Neitz, Robertson
R: White, McDonald, Thompson
I/C: Jolly, Whelan, Heffernan, Rigoni

TEAM B

B: Williams, Lamb, Carroll
HB: Hunter, Ferguson, Broadbridge
C: Wheatley, Sylvia, Bell
HF: Davey, Smith, Fisher
F: Walsh, Newman, Johnson
R: Jamar, McLean, Armstrong
I/C: Carson, Campbell, Molan

My side for Round 1

B: Whelan Nicholson Rivers
HB: Bizzell Carroll Ward
C: Johnstone Yze Green
HF: Bruce Miller Robertson
F: Holland Neitz Vardy
R: White Godfrey McDonald
I/C: Jolly, Thompson, Davey, Wheatley

Holland forward I reckon to stretch Hawthorns smallish defence.

I couldnt split Brown, Wheatley, Williams, Read and Carroll for the last 2 spots but went for Carroll asuming we use Holland as a forward and Wheatley to add an extra dimension as well as marking power which we lack between the 50's.

I really wanted to include Williams and Brown but couldnt find a spot.

Originally posted by Broadbridge_20
My side for Round 1

B: Whelan Nicholson Rivers
HB: Bizzell Carroll Ward
C: Johnstone Yze Green
HF: Bruce Miller Robertson
F: Holland Neitz Vardy
R: White Godfrey McDonald
I/C: Jolly, Thompson, Davey, Wheatley

Holland forward I reckon to stretch Hawthorns smallish defence.

I couldnt split Brown, Wheatley, Williams, Read and Carroll for the last 2 spots but went for Carroll asuming we use Holland as a forward and Wheatley to add an extra dimension as well as marking power which we lack between the 50's.

I really wanted to include Williams and Brown but couldnt find a spot.

Talking to Goalden Hawk at the cricket yesterday, they'll definitely go in short for round 1.

They have no Centre Half Forward.

Originally posted by BT
Talking to Goalden Hawk at the cricket yesterday, they'll definitely go in short for round 1.

They have no Centre Half Forward.

I wouldnt be suprised if they used Croad at CHF but that makes their defence even shorter.

Is Hay fit?

Maybe swap Carroll with Williams/Brown and use Bizzell/Rivers on one of their key forwards.

Well, I've had another attempt!

Assuming everyone is fully fit (this isn't my Rd 1 side):

Melbourne A:

B. Whelan Holland Bizzell
HB. Ward Rivers Wheatley
C. Johnstone Yze Green
HF. Bruce Miller Robertson
F. Davey Neitz Heffernan
R. White Sylvia Thompson
Int. Jolly, Armstrong, McLean, Godfrey

Melbourne B:

B. Brown Nicholson Carroll
HB. Bell Lamb Read
C. McDonald Rigoni Hunter
HF. Johnson Smith Vardy
F. Williams Ferguson Newman
R. Jamar Fisher Walsh
Int. Molan, Carson, Campbell, Broadbridge

Originally posted by lamby29
Well, I've had another attempt!

Assuming everyone is fully fit (this isn't my Rd 1 side):

Melbourne A:

B. Whelan Holland Bizzell
HB. Ward Rivers Wheatley
C. Johnstone Yze Green
HF. Bruce Miller Robertson
F. Davey Neitz Heffernan
R. White Sylvia Thompson
Int. Jolly, Armstrong, McLean, Godfrey

Melbourne B:

B. Brown Nicholson Carroll
HB. Bell Lamb Read
C. McDonald Rigoni Hunter
HF. Johnson Smith Vardy
F. Williams Ferguson Newman
R. Jamar Fisher Walsh
Int. Molan, Carson, Campbell, Broadbridge

Lamby, like it or not Nicholson, McDonald & Brown in particular WILL be in our starting 18 when fit.

Originally posted by Broadbridge_20
I wouldnt be suprised if they used Croad at CHF but that makes their defence even shorter.

Is Hay fit?

Maybe swap Carroll with Williams/Brown and use Bizzell/Rivers on one of their key forwards.

Hay will play. GH said Neeta should monster him as he's only played a half in pre-season. Full Back is the one position a guy can get away with a lack of match practice I reckon. Neeta however would have to be confident.

I think Croad is a better forward than he is a defender but he usually marks on the lead. I'm not sure who they can use to contest at CHF.

Ward - Nicholson - Rivers
Bizzell - Holland - Whelan
Green - Thompson - Yze
Robertson - Miller - Bruce
Vardy - Neitz - White
Jolly - Godfrey - Johnstone

Heffernan - Davey - McDonald - Armstrong

Tough choice leaving out Wheatley, Walsh, Read, Carroll, McLean, Williams, Brown, etc... Don't need any back-up talls on the pine when we have White, Bizzell and Rivers on the field along with the spine of Nicholson, Holland, Miller, Neitz and Jolly. That's 8 good talls there. Prefer to have more on-ballers/half backs to rotate through the midfield adding freshness. Davey on the bench too, because he is too inexperienced to be starting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guys,
Didn't Ferguson win best 1st year player last year yet he hardly rates a mention in both teams.
Don't supporters rate him cause i think he did a super job last year as a 1st year player playing usually on the great CHF or FF in the league.

Originally posted by KAOS
Guys,
Didn't Ferguson win best 1st year player last year yet he hardly rates a mention in both teams.
Don't supporters rate him cause i think he did a super job last year as a 1st year player playing usually on the great CHF or FF in the league.

Umm I forgot about Fergo because of his injury :eek:, he did a great job last season.

*Goes off to edit team B*

Remove this Banner Ad

Back