Mid-table malaise

Remove this Banner Ad

ContrarianCrow

All Australian
Aug 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
As we all sit here and dissect how on earth we missed the finals this year, one thing (apart from the goal umpire) has stood out to me as the key reason we've ended up where we are: our woeful performances against our direct competitors in the middle of the pack. Break down the ladder into 3 groups and you get the following:

Teams 1-6: Played 9, W5 L4, percentage 114%
Teams 13-18: Played 8, W6 L2, percentage 133%

Teams 7-12: Played 6, W0 L6, percentage 78%

For all the talk of goalkicking, defence, ruck, midfield depth, selection - this is the single most frustrating aspect of the AFC. Is there a mental fragility involved with this playing group? Is it just youth/immaturity? Why do we play up to the level of the best teams in the comp on a regular basis then completely drop our bundle against the middle of the pack? Should Nicks be faulted here for the inability to prepare the team against direct competitors, considering these are arguably the most important games in the context of the season (the proverbial 8-point games)? Look at rest of the 7-12 bracket against each other and it's even more stark:

GWS: W6 L3
Sydney: W4 L2 D1
Bulldogs: W4 L3
Geelong: W5 L2 D1
Essendon: W2 L5

Sydney game aside, we can't even consider ourselves unlucky here, as we've dished up some absolute dross against these sides. Bulldogs, Essendon and the 2nd halves of both Giants game were unequivocally the worst football we've played all year. Alarmingly and possibly coincidentally, the sides mentioned have all had Nicks' measure since coming to the club, with no obvious indication he's learning how to beat any of them. 1 win in 4 years against GWS, WB & Geelong, and zero against Syd/Ess. GWS & Essendon in particular have taken great joy in making us their regular playthings in recent years.

TLDR - Replicating anything close to our performances against the top sides would lead to winning a majority of these 50/50 games, yet we consistently underperform when the burden of expectation is there. For all the improvements, if Nicks can't sort the mental lapses out he ain't the man to lead us forward IMHO.

As we all sit here and dissect how on earth we missed the finals this year, one thing (apart from the goal umpire) has stood out to me as the key reason we've ended up where we are: our woeful performances against our direct competitors in the middle of the pack. Break down the ladder into 3 groups and you get the following:

For all the talk of goalkicking, defence, ruck, midfield depth, selection - this is the single most frustrating aspect of the AFC. Is there a mental fragility involved with this playing group? Is it just youth/immaturity? Why do we play up to the level of the best teams in the comp on a regular basis then completely drop our bundle against the middle of the pack? Should Nicks be faulted here for the inability to prepare the team against direct competitors, considering these are arguably the most important games in the context of the season (the proverbial 8-point games)? Look at rest of the 7-12 bracket against each other and it's even more stark:

Sydney game aside, we can't even consider ourselves unlucky here, as we've dished up some absolute dross against these sides. Bulldogs, Essendon and the 2nd halves of both Giants game were unequivocally the worst football we've played all year. Alarmingly and possibly coincidentally, the sides mentioned have all had Nicks' measure since coming to the club, with no obvious indication he's learning how to beat any of them. 1 win in 4 years against GWS, WB & Geelong, and zero against Syd/Ess. GWS & Essendon in particular have taken great joy in making us their regular playthings in recent years.

TLDR - Replicating anything close to our performances against the top sides would lead to winning a majority of these 50/50 games, yet we consistently underperform when the burden of expectation is there. For all the improvements, if Nicks can't sort the mental lapses out he ain't the man to lead us forward IMHO.
Young team had to play GWS in RD1 near 40 degree heat and was leading very comfortably in the 1st half then faded in the 2nd half and then had to play Richmond the following week after a 6 day break when they had 9 day break. This set the trend.....

Been saying this for most of the year. We up our games for the best teams, easily take care of the poor ones and really struggle against sides of similar quality.

It's bizarre, could be worse I guess (terrible against the best teams). Feel like it is something that could be easily overcome.

Been saying this for most of the year. We up our games for the best teams, easily take care of the poor ones and really struggle against sides of similar quality.

It's bizarre, could be worse I guess (terrible against the best teams). Feel like it is something that could be easily overcome.

There is a simple term coined for Hinkley coached Pear teams that describes us perfectly.

Downhill Skiers

Young team and the bulk of our leaders are not clutch match winners.

Laird/Sloane/Smith and even Tex to an extent are not clutch match winners.

I say Tex because as good as he has been I can't recall him kicking goals late to win a game. I could be wrong though. He had a vital miss in the Sydney game.

Look at Collingwood. Their elder players step up when games are tight.

The positive is that the younger group of leaders will take the game on at the death. Dawson and Keays. Plus most of the kids.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Young team had to play GWS in RD1 near 40 degree heat and was leading very comfortably in the 1st half then faded in the 2nd half and then had to play Richmond the following week after a 6 day break when they had 9 day break. This set the trend.....

The power of that round one heat keeps growing as time goes on. It cost us six games throughout the season now.

No, Port often did well against top teams, pushing them all the way but struggled against similar teams and they beat up on poorer teams.

That’s not how I remember them getting that nickname.
Port traditionally beat all the sides the should - and smash the bottom teams but couldn’t get over the the top teams.
Anyway May be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

5 of those 6 were away games.

Can consider ourselves a bit lucky that we got so few of the 7-12ers at home.

Highlights that we need to improve our away performance.

Somewhat understandable though given how inexperienced we are, I think we had 7 players that had never played at Marvel when we played the bombers there this year and given how it plays so differently, that turned out to be a big disadvantage.

EDIT oops 4 out of 6

EDIT2 - although technically we did win one of those two at home, only to be denied by the umpire

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a good point and I think a couple of things are at play

• I think some teams have set themselves for games where they have played us because they know they match up well with us and see a chance to get a scalp
  • excluding the Giants games they have started pretty hot against us. Essendon’s intensity in particular was as good as they have had all year
  • while some of it comes down to away form Nicks has some work to do to get the side up and about more for these games.

It's better than having a crap record against the top 8 - we had 5 very close losses against the eventual top 8 (Collingwood, Collingwood, Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney).

It's frustrating but it makes me optimistic.

Losing five games is a crap record.

There is a simple term coined for Hinkley coached Pear teams that describes us perfectly.

Downhill Skiers
That's not at all what that name means.

Port were downhill skiers when they would beat up on the bottom 10 but couldn't beat a top 8 side. Downhill skiing is looking crash hot when things are easy and going to water when they're tough. Hence, downhill.

We look crash hot when things are tough, and go to water when expectation to win is presented to us.

Downhill Skiers

Incorrect, they couldn't beat a top 8 side in that period. Was a running joke on their board.

That’s not how I remember them getting that nickname.
Port traditionally beat all the sides the should - and smash the bottom teams but couldn’t get over the the top teams.
Anyway May be wrong

Correct.

That's not at all what that name means.

Port were downhill skiers when they would beat up on the bottom 10 but couldn't beat a top 8 side. Downhill skiing is looking crash hot when things are easy and going to water when they're tough. Hence, downhill.

We look crash hot when things are tough, and go to water when expectation to win is presented to us.

Correct.

We play well against the top sides as we don't feel any pressure to perform - we are expected to lose.

We play well against the bottom sides as we have enough talent to take care of them.

We play poorly against sides in a similar position as we are expected to win or do well, we do not cope well with expectation.

We are still a very mentally soft team.

One of many things Nicks needs to work on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back