Delisted Mitchell Golby (2009-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

I talked to him in the Lions shop before the Tigers game, he said he was aiming to play the last 2 games, but he did seem to say it in a 'hopeful' way. Thought it would be touch or go as to whether we see him again. It's probably best we put him on ice and get him ready to go for preseason. Those stress fracture / hot spot type injuries can be very cruel and damaging if you don't get on top of them.

His injury has really dragged out. From memory is was a four week diagnosis initially. In terms of his development that wouldn't have affected him too much. Now he's missed seven weeks, which will in all probability become nine, which is quite a setback for someone who had just started to find their feet at the top level. Rather than building on from this year, it's more a case of starting all over again.

Injury update from Matt Hass

He’s out of his boot and he’ll do his running progressions. He had a stress fracture, which was a bit of a strange one in that he was showing no symptoms going in, got the stress reaction, got put in the boot, felt good, came back, and then pulled up sore, so back in the boot! But he’s now back out and reporting no pain so he should have a good pre-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great video. Geez Golby is impressive. Is it fair to say he is a borderline elite kick?

He has superb vision and decision making skills too.

For sure. Always seems under control.

Mitch Golby 2012 End of Season Review
by blynd_freddie

2011 review

Senior games: 13
Goals: 0
Dreamteam: 958
Supercoach: 988
Club Best and Fairest votes: 14

6693866263_c09603038f_z.jpg

Image (2012 preseason) courtesy of Mr Ripper

2012 started early for Mitch when he was elevated off the rookie list and onto the senior list at the end of the 2011 season.

A ripper of a preseason after playing ‘steady football’ in the last 4 games of an 8 game debut 2011 season had many including non-Lions supporters and the National Media highlighting Mitch as a 2012 ‘Bolter’ – Mitch was starting to show signs of a growing self-confidence and justifiably so, purely on the NAB stats sheet his disposals, contested possessions and tackles reflected a dramatic improvement on 2011 averages.

The season proper started well for Mitch being matched up in a shut-down role on Melbourne’s Blease – who was eventually subbed out at the end of the 3rd – This game was rated by the club [B&F voting] as Golby’s second best for the year and may have arguable set Mitch up as a lock-in for the Lions best 22 and back six for the remainder of his year.

Mitch’s role during the year was to be predominantly matched up on the fast smaller type players - like Blease, Betts, Clancee Pearce, Alwyn Davey, Tyson, Breust and even Stevie J. He also regularly ran up the ground enabling himself to be used as link to target forwards with his accurate left foot.

As mentioned earlier his stats were well up on last year averaging 20+ disposals in just under half of this seasons games. Arguable his best game of the year was the round 4 Gold Coast game where he regularly ran off his opponent [6 rebound 50’s], a season high 26 disposals, of which 10 were contested – although Mitch was quoted suggesting his round 8, 24 disposal Rising Star nomination game against GWS as his best.

Mitch was our second of two Rising Stars - Voss said of Golby's nomination – “it was just reward for his perseverance to overcome injury problems. Mitch shows an exceptional work rate and has really found his place in our backline this year" and adding, "he's a quiet achiever - he puts his head down and does his job with no fuss."

The job generally being a mixture of shutdown roles across half-back but regularly seen spreading forward assisting in many passages moving the ball from defence to attack. The linking and finishing pass to Merrett for his 4th goal in third quarter against the WBD at the Docklands a perfect example. If there was an identifiable weakness that needed to be addressed in the off season, then I might highlight the number of goals that may have been kicked by his opponents - I am of the belief this may have been above a dozen.

Sadly for the team and Mitch his 2012 season was to only last 13 games as he developed a stress reaction in his foot after the round 14 game against Melbourne. He was quoted as saying "It was just a stress reaction - so fortunately we caught it at the stage before it became a fracture. It meant I had to wear a moon boot for about 4-6 weeks. After a few weeks, I tried to get out of the boot and give the foot go. But it didn't react too well and set the injury back to 8-10 weeks, which saw my season out."

Arguably, the most memorable piece of play of his 2012 season came late in the 4th of round 10 against West Coast - an uncanny sense of mind mapping the moment in time. Showing pace to out run his opponent in Brad Sheppard, to NOT grab the ball and put himself in a position to be tackled but to draw both the opposition players into thinking he would, then tap the ball to McKeever who thankfully was on the same page, back away from the contest, take a handball receive then skilfully pass the ball to Adcock, who then iced the game was significantly impressive from a twenty year old playing in just his 18th AFL game.

Golby received a total of 14 votes from his 13 games and to highlight his 2012 consistency only Patfull, Adcock and Golby had a maximum of two weeks of non-vote games between games where votes were received. [all other players had 3 or more weeks between ‘voting weeks’] It is also worth noting, of the sixteen Lions players to play ten or more games, Mitch Golby had the twelfth highest average B&F votes per game.

Looking forward to the 2013 season it is worth noting that in the weeks that Mitch was out of the team due to injury, from round 15 to the end of season, Harwood, Yeo and Wrigley were all selected and at times asked to play a similar role to the absent Golby. With Docherty also pressing for selection – the next preseason again becomes a time for the kids to show us where they’ve improved although, IMO if Mitch Golby gets through the preseason uninjured he will again be part of the back six from round 1 2013.

Fair to say that along with The Zork, Mitch could have been thereabouts in the Merrett-Murray count if he'd been able to stay on the park for the whole season.
I believe his average votes per game would have him on the cusp of the top 10 in the B&F [12th] - yeah not bad for kid in only his 2nd year.

I believe his average votes per game would have him on the cusp of the top 10 in the B&F [12th] - yeah not bad for kid in only his 2nd year.

And off the Rookie list, which most people associate more with miss then hits. If he can stay injury free for next year hes going to cement himself in that back 6.

Fair to say that along with The Zork, Mitch could have been thereabouts in the Merrett-Murray count if he'd been able to stay on the park for the whole season.

Could've nabbed the Rising Star as well.

Lions humming says Golby
January 5, 2013

Golby was particularly keen to get back out on the track considering he missed the second half of 2012 with a stress reaction in his foot.

“I thought I was going to make it back for the end of the season, but unfortunately I didn’t,” Golby told lions.com.au.

“I started running at the end of last season, then I was right to go through the off-season program, and I haven’t missed a beat during the pre-season so far. I’m hoping to get through the pre-season fit and ready to go, so I can put myself in line for a spot again.”

“I just need to improve my fitness and get it back up to level I got it to last year, so I can play longer periods throughout the game across half-back.”

“I also have to get my kicking back to where it was – particularly after spending so long without kicking a footy.”

251670-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Very interesting that Golby sees himself filling the empty 'Drummo' role on half back. I can easily envisage him taking more of an attacking role this year as he suggests, so we shall have to keep our eyes open for that one.

He's definitely looking a bit more muscular as well. If he's fitter than last year as he suggests, then I think his return this year is cause for excitement.

Golby gets match practise
21 January 2013
Sam Lord

Brisbane Lions defender Mitch Golby has welcomed the return of match simulation drills at pre-season training – particularly considering it’s been almost six months since he’s been able to satisfy his competitive instincts.

Golby missed the final nine matches of 2012 with a foot stress fracture, and only just lost a race against time in his bid to return before season’s end.

He has since completed every pre-season session, which has only served to further fuel his hunger for a taste of on-field action.

“I finally got to get in and tackle everyone,” Golby told LIONS TV.

“I got crashed by Jordy (Lisle) and Rog (Daniel Merrett) a couple of times.”

249121-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back