New NTFA Premier Division 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Cunnington Cartel

All Australian
Nov 18, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Today the NTFA announced the four clubs that were successful in joining North Launnie and Launceston for debut season of the premier division in 2025. The AFL Tas plan to scrap the state league and go back to regional footy was always going to impact the North of the state the hardest. People from Launceston and surrounds were quick to point out some of the drawbacks of this plan for their region and (judging by social media) it’s fair to say that the controversy and criticism has continued since today’s announcement.

Joining the Bombers and Blues in the premier division next season will be: South Launnie, Longford, Deloraine and Scottsdale. The attached article is a media release from AFL Tas that briefly outlines some of the selection criteria. I recall reading previously that Bridgenorth were going to apply, does anyone know if Rocherlea applied as well?

When you look (holistically) at the senior and junior clubs, South and Longford were obvious choices; however, Deloraine and Scottsdale are more contentious selections. Obviously, their junior pathways and women’s programs helped them to be successful. Although I’m really concerned about their ability to be consistently competitive from next year onwards.

What’s everyone else’s thoughts?
Also, does anyone have any insights about the process or views from the particular clubs who were successful / unsuccessful?

On another note, next year’s Div 1 could potentially be a cracking competition. I’m hoping that Old Scotch and St Pats join the remaining clubs in Div 1 - Bracknell, Bridgenorth, George Town, Hillwood and Rocherlea. There might be some serious player movement at the end of this season, but by last year’s results, this Div will be way more competitive than the premier Div.

Typical AFL arrogance with absolutely no understanding of the area.

By aligning the whole club in same division they've given a big * you to the women's competition. North have shown they couldn't care less about women's football and Scottsdale and Longford struggle massively. It's similar with the under 18s, I mean Scottsdale didn't even have a team last season.

Now North and Launceston have basically come out and shat on it too. Unfortunately NTFA lacks the leadership or intelligence it seems to stand up to AFL Tas. Complete lack of transparency with their member clubs.

Personally I can't see it happening and even if it does they'll have to redo within the first 2 years as it will most certainly fail.

Agree though that at least Div 1 would be exciting with the remaining Premier League clubs and probably Scotch, St Pats and Lilydale.

Typical AFL arrogance with absolutely no understanding of the area.

By aligning the whole club in same division they've given a big * you to the women's competition. North have shown they couldn't care less about women's football and Scottsdale and Longford struggle massively. It's similar with the under 18s, I mean Scottsdale didn't even have a team last season.

Now North and Launceston have basically come out and shat on it too. Unfortunately NTFA lacks the leadership or intelligence it seems to stand up to AFL Tas. Complete lack of transparency with their member clubs.

Personally I can't see it happening and even if it does they'll have to redo within the first 2 years as it will most certainly fail.

Agree though that at least Div 1 would be exciting with the remaining Premier League clubs and probably Scotch, St Pats and Lilydale.
It will be embarrassing for AFL Tas and the NTFA if the comps require a restructure or clubs end up being demoted within such a short timeframe of the NPD starting. You can tell that AFL Tas approached the whole premier league idea with a biased lens because it’s an easy transition for footy in the South, but that model conjures up so many problems when they try to implement it in the North. Like you said, it probably boils down to the representatives of AFL Tas having complete ignorance about footy in the North. Bridgenorth are particularly aggrieved with being overlooked.

North Launceston and Launceston have really teed off on AFL Tas and the NTFA in today’s Examiner. I must say they make a hell of a lot of sense. From the moment the premier division model was announced, everyone from the North of the state could tell that this was going to be a disaster for footy in that region, as well as for players with aspirations for playing footy at a higher level.

Anyone who wants to play at a standard higher than regional footy will have the option of relocating to Hobart and vying for the limited list spots available for the VFL side, or moving to the mainland to play in better comps like the VFL, SANFL, WAFL etc. I’ve already heard rumours of QAFL coaches heading to Tassie on the search for talent in 2025. What’s the point of this model if we lose more of our best community players to the mainland?

As Thane Brady mentions, it will also create disparity between the 6-team Northern and Southern premier leagues because the North will only have two former state league clubs (not counting South), while the South will have five (+ Brighton). If the Southern league is a significantly stronger league (which it will be) then Northern players may also relocate there to play in a better standard comp and to also have a better chance of getting noticed in relation to the Devils’ VFL squad. These decisions from AFL Tas are at best ignorant, and at worst, intentional (as Brady suggested).

Attachments

• F37F3DCB-C376-4F95-8B3E-2072400E0A53.jpeg
    F37F3DCB-C376-4F95-8B3E-2072400E0A53.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 48
  • DD535E9B-62FE-4168-9751-92ABF768F958.jpeg
    DD535E9B-62FE-4168-9751-92ABF768F958.jpeg
    419.9 KB · Views: 45
well this has gone pear shaped already
To be expected. Is doing nothing for footy in Northern Tas. Be interesting to see how it develops. I’ve seen that the NWFL have rejected the breakaway league proposal so Launnie and North might be running out of options.

Would Launceston & North try and come in to the SFL ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That is being spoken about. North and Launceston wouldn’t be in there forever, but they want more investment and work to be done to prepare the smaller NTFA clubs for the premier league. IIRC they commented that a 3 year lead in would be appropriate for clubs to get ready for the increase in standard.

possibly, but i doubt the SFL would want them .
To be expected. Is doing nothing for footy in Northern Tas. Be interesting to see how it develops. I’ve seen that the NWFL have rejected the breakaway league proposal so Launnie and North might be running out of options.
spot on, they have no other options that I can see, apart from trying to persuade the Coastal teams into some sort of Greater Northern Comp.
Interesting times coming up, decisions have to be made soon.

possibly, but i doubt the SFL would want them .

spot on, they have no other options that I can see, apart from trying to persuade the Coastal teams into some sort of Greater Northern Comp.
Interesting times coming up, decisions have to be made soon.
NWFL have come out and said they aren’t interested. This was backed up by Damian Gill who said the concept was discussed and rejected by the coastal clubs because they said the current NWFL model is the best they’ve had in ages.

What is the rumour going about in regards to NL and Launceston going to some Vic Amateurs comp?

Assume that is just all it is, a rumour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Four team comp. You know that South would be able to get themselves up to par, and the best facilities in the country part of Northern Tassie are at Longford, plus you know they'd want to get back on top if it was viable for them...the first sixty years of both the NTFA and TFL looked like this, and since these comps aren't modelled on getting huge crowds and newspaper coverage these days, it's all about competitiveness and viability...

Deloraine and Scottsdale though...Deloraine are the only team in Tassie to have played top tier footy in two regions, discounting the obvious requirements of statewide. They are in an awkward zone between the N and NW, and have historically found it hard to attract top talent willing to drive! Scottsdale...you'd love it to work, because of the history, but how's the community going up there? They seem to be like Circular Head...footy contracting, clubs dying, comps struggling or going under...these days it's like they can have either get a good top level team or a good local comp, not both like they used to have, and at the moment both regions are getting neither...

The top league should be fully focused on being elite, and the talent who want to represent should go there. Every other team on NT should be working to a community model, with the primary focus being numbers and keeping the clubs alive...and if one is at the expense of the other, then make it one team per club. The death knell would be kids leaving Launceston and going south. The south, by the way, struggle with their top tier teams not having drawing power...a lower league team can pay more quite often, which is a ridiculous situation...

An alternative would be an expanded intrastate comp. N, NW and S, playing each other four times, five or six even, designed to keep VFL Devils playing consistent hard footy, and flexible within it (e.g. if you're not playing VFL Devils and your intrastate team has the bye, you can swan in and play as a guest for another region).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back