Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 83 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 277 76.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

How's your memory sector? Looking pretty s**t or bias according to the articles of teh day...

"One big plus is that he is a goal-kicking midfielder. True, his kicking can, at times, look sloppy, as the ball occasionally floats or loses trajectory and height. There is a technical flaw in the way he drops the ball to his foot."

Or BF thread. 65% KE.
You do realise inside mids have lower KE than outside chipscaps?

Was that article written by Emma Quayle judging his ball drop?

Anyway this isn’t a Chris Judd thread

The more pertinent question.is
“ Is NDs performance this year down because the Pies are 50:50 side this year or is Pies performance down this year because ND is has dropped Off this year?”

If it is the former it would seem to confirm that ND is a long way off the goat as both GAJ and Judd were able to transform the teams they were traded to

It's not his defensive game.

He runs as hard as any and often makes multiple tackles/attempts/pressure.

It's the actual crash and bash of footy that he needs big improvements on and also tackling front on with his shoulder fwd, rather then reaching in head back, scared of contact with oncoming players.

Also the far more accomplished mids are mids with only the capability to be at a Pendles, Riccuito, Harvey et el level.

Nick clearly has a few tools in his kit that could elevate him above that level should he develop the physical side and his forward half game.

But yes the thread overall was a pisstake and really shouldn't have been created.
He will never and should never be a crash and bash footballer- would get slaughtered by B graders trying that caper. Just cut out the smarty pants head flying backwards in tackles and actually drive forward with his strong legs and core when he is tackling - use his leg speed to impact- - it is actually a very easy fix of technique.

“ Is NDs performance this year down because the Pies are 50:50 side this year or is Pies performance down this year because ND is has dropped Off this year?”

If it is the former it would seem to confirm that ND is a long way off the goat as both GAJ and Judd were able to transform the teams they were traded to

Gaz didn't transform any team.

At Geelong he was an inconsistent fwd who after many preseasons pulled his finger out to transform himself to the games elite, which also coincided with Geelong peaking and the introduction of the hard NUT Selwood who fed him.
He was undoubtedly a champion player who excelled but was not soley why Geelong became what they did

GC Ablett was left to his own devices and imo not paid the due respect by the then newb Coach Buckley (amoungst many of the time coaches who phased out the tagger) which subsequently lost us a game to them. But GC overall stayed bot 4.

As for Judd he wasn't an inside mid at WC they fed him the ball and opened running lanes and space to have thier dominat rucks tap to allowing him to use his pace to burnbthe opposition midfield.

The inside mid was the OP version at Carlton. Judd drastically changed his game and become a less damaging outside type and more elite inside consistent mid feeding Squibs, Murphy and co with the occasionalglympse of his WC days..

Last edited:

He will never and should never be a crash and bash footballer- would get slaughtered by B graders trying that caper. Just cut out the smarty pants head flying backwards in tackles and actually drive forward with his strong legs and core when he is tackling - use his leg speed to impact- - it is actually a very easy fix of technique.

He absolutely should be smashing in on occasions that he is required too, and further using his body better in the contest.

This is not saying he needs to be doing it all the time, it's about having it in his tool kit and using it throughout a game.

The best all round mid I've seen play the game is N.Buckley.
Nick I hope is trying to round his game out closer to Bucks then GWS - Kelly who I would currently liken him too (If anyone cares to remember his year 1 to 3 people were claiming him the next best of).

He backs out of every contest that looks like he may get bruised, this isn’t something that’s made up, it happened again today on a few occasions and everyone can see it barr Collingwood supporters. taken a contested mark in the dying minutes today to win his team the game but he decided against it..

There are supporters who see it.

Imo I think they all see it but won't admit it, it's like admitting he has areas of improvement is akin to treason.

Sheezel is similarly in the same boat hasn't shown as yet he is a physical player, although he also hasn't shown some of Nicks short stepping and reaching in either.

Thread reminds me of the Clayton Oliver one a few years ago.

Gone way too early.

Projecting any AFL player as the GOAT based off a season or two is absolutely ridiculous.

Daicos has been decent to start the year but he honestly hasn’t looked any different from last season and he certainly hasn’t had the same impact as he did last year.

In your opinion he may be down but I bet he will still make All Australian.
No doubt though, you will have some smart reply to find some exuse for this.

He isn't the GOAT now, no current player is but whether he can or can not be in the future really doesn't matter.
I get to watch him play for the next few years and he along with a few other youngsters bring me joy every time they take the field.

I just don't see how sad people can find a negative with that.

Ok I love Nick and still think he has the tools to be a true elite but do agree that he is soft at the contested ball and even tackling techniques are with his head back and "reaching" outwards.
Ie he doesn't body line the ball or player.

This is currently his biggest flaw, needs to get more physical in a contest.
We all know on the outside he is already absolutely elite plus.
But to be the best of the best let alone EVER but even his generation he needs to add the physical game in.

Now you WC fans are rightly happy with Reid start, he is a jet. But he too has flaws in his game they are just different and both youngsters are not the finished products.

Nick is very very similar in style and game to Ablett Jnr.

Reid closer to Judd in style.
Your Ablett analysis is a fair way off the mark. Ablett even as a youngster did not play anything like Daicos.

The only similarity they have is their skill execution with ball in hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your Ablett analysis is a fair way off the mark. Ablett even as a youngster did not play anything like Daicos.

The only similarity they have is their skill execution with ball in hand.

That's probably due to GAJ starting as a forward, but careers shouldn't be judged on the output of the first couple of years

That's probably due to GAJ starting as a forward, but careers shouldn't be judged on the output of the first couple of years
True, but I think the implication was that Daicos current game style resembles prime Ablett Junior. Not a chance. And I'm not a big Daicos critic despite his current deficiencies.

In your opinion he may be down but I bet he will still make All Australian.
No doubt though, you will have some smart reply to find some exuse for this.

He isn't the GOAT now, no current player is but whether he can or can not be in the future really doesn't matter.
I get to watch him play for the next few years and he along with a few other youngsters bring me joy every time they take the field.

I just don't see how sad people can find a negative with that.
You seem to be commenting in the wrong thread. This is the "Can ND become the GOAT" thread and not the "Is ND a nice player that brings Pies supporters joy" thread. None of the opposition supporters here have disputed that statement.

That little childish dance has moved him into pounchablke face territory

the smugness is not lost on the modesty or humility you try to pretend you have you little campaigner.

Two of my Collingwood supporters have said hes regressed this year

Not a great term, even worse this comes into your head when discussing a game and a young 20 year old who you probably have never met.
Why don’t you spend some time looking up the Pat Cronin Foundation to get some education on young men punching faces.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Third in a home and away match as voted for by luminaries Daisy Thomas, Eddie Betts and Cameron Ling.

Surely this goes on Nicks CV at the end of his career.
What a reach.
The only thing your downhill skier Dusty had done by the same age was make the "22 under 22" team

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He did ad a mid esp the 1 -2 and outside work.
Daicos plays more like a Mackie/early Enright hybrid so far. More prolific but a playmaker with good skills and decision making that links up with the midfielders, generating dynamic rebounds on transition. When he is actually playing in midfield, he still reminds me of that type of player.

Ablett was a little bull even in his goal sneak forward flanker days. We'd throw him into midfield every now and again and he performed quite contested for his size. Then when he broke into midfield permanently he was more like a Butters. Also pretty good in the air. His elite ball use and decision making didn't make him "like" Daicos. He had elite inside and outside games. Daicos so far has shown a lot more in the latter category, but has plenty of time to work on the former. It's simply wrong to say his current play resembles peak Ablett's. Not just in output, but style.

The only thing your downhill skier Dusty had done by the same age was make the "22 under 22" team

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hmm… I’m not sure about that.
If I did per chance look through his first three seasons I’m sure I could find a media report that had him as third best on ground in a home and away game.

But then again, why is this something worth boasting about???

He's obviously a very good midfielder and one of best in comp
But if faced with a choice would you pick ND over Jeremy Cameron?

Back