PC-04

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Blackburn(EFL)
I just wasn`t feeling myself; a bout of the flu had kept me away from the bottle and everything seemed brighter, cheerier during the week. My neighbours waved, children laughed, dogtails wagged everywhere I went. I didn`t like it - not one bit. A bright Saturday morning on a day forecast for rainstorms. Meh, what would they know - it looked a pretty good day for footy to me, so I headed down to Morton Park to see the Panthers trying their best against last season`s premiers, Vermont.

We had no chance of winning; an injury list of 21 had decimated the Burners` team and a series of poor performances against lesser rated opponents had crushed all confidence. It was almost time to start a rebuild for 2011. But I felt unquestionably lighthearted, whistling as I entered the ground. Something definitely wrong here - even the beer tasted Tasmanian and I wasn`t sure I should even have another one.

Out came the Blackburn team, looking a pretty unimposing - slight-bodied lambs ready for the slaughter - I gave them a polite clap and wished them good luck as finished my second beverage. I didn`t much care for the Eagles, who looked a little nasty to me. "Another beer? I don`t know if I could. oh, well I suppose so".

The first 1/4 wasn`t bad at all; we even kicked a few goals. But Vermont`s big guns hadn`t had an impact yet and we all knew it was a matter of time. The early shower gave us hope that the heavens may open and reduce the final margin. "Sure, one more won`t hurt me - it almost tastes good".

The 2nd term began and I felt a gear change in my head and on the field. I even cheered a couple of errant Vermont kicks and jumped as we kicked another couple of goals. Then it happened: beer number 8 pulled the switch and I was back!!! The sky darkened and I could see clearly at last.

"GO BURNERS!! TEAR `EM APART!!!" In the middle the crash of bodies was fierce and the leather flew at a frantic pace. The red army was charged and the young Blackburn side responded with vigour, kicking another few goals before 1/2 time, including a terrific running goal from beyond the arc on the boundary line by Adam Wilson that blew the roof off the stand. Incredibly, we were 7 goals to the good against the reigning titleholders.

But surely Vermont would come back, and we`re famous for our 3rd 1/4 fadeouts. The third term started with a deluge of heavy rain and a flood of Panther goals, killing off the game as a contest and sending the locals into delirium. Nothing mattered after the margin hit 12 goals, the young red `n` blacks marching off the puddle as heroes.

In the wash-up (yeah, I know) it was important to credit Sam Macaulay and Troy Takanen, who blanketed Ash Froud (1 goal) and Matt Greig respectively, only the 2nd time in his career that Greig had been held goalless.
Acting skipper Rainey was a star, as were Petracca and Luxon (4 goals).
No standouts for Vermont, though Mullett and Mendes tried all day.

As for me,...well its pleasant to be all sweetness and light sometimes, but its better to rediscover you`re old self.
PC

BLACKBURN 5.3 11.10 16.13 17.18-120
VERMONT 4.6 4.8 5.11 7.11-53

Remove this Banner Ad

Back