Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be moving to NYC in January 2016 for work for 2 years, any doggies supporters on here in the big apple by any chance?

Anyone get those books of vouchers they have been selling as fundraisers for the club? I got one and they seemed pretty crap.
Good news about this. I rang the phone number on the letter I got with it. They were the publishers of the booklet but they rang the people who were distributing them for me. Then I got a call from someone from the club [a NSW number o_O] and they said they will refund what I paid for it. Very good of them [though I think they did say when I bought it if I wasn't happy with it I could return it.] I wouldn't have cared so much if all the money went to the club but I doubt it would make much out of it.
Nice work FFC.
:rainbow:

So who do we think will suit up for the Brownlow? Will be a different looking crew to previous years without Cooney and that other bloke. I know Dahlhaus will be there. Bob. Does Bont get a gig? Woody? It's usually only 4 or 5.

So who do we think will suit up for the Brownlow? Will be a different looking crew to previous years without Cooney and that other bloke. I know Dahlhaus will be there. Bob. Does Bont get a gig? Woody? It's usually only 4 or 5.

If you go by AFL.com.au's article, you'd have to say it would be out of Dahlhaus, Moyd, Bob, Bont, Macrae, Wallis and Stringer.

Lol at the #bemoreugly on the advert

CPaAE-LUEAA-8J-.jpg

If I could get exactly that in a snow dome I'd pay $80. :)

Anyone see Bomber Thompson on 360 just now? The way he talks and acts is a bit weird - have thought so other times but moreso tonight.

Anyone see Bomber Thompson on 360 just now? The way he talks and acts is a bit weird - have thought so other times but moreso tonight.

Below is confirmation that you have placed a bid of $19.54 for
the following item on Will Minson - Signed & Player FIt - 2014 Home
Guernsey #27:-

I'm not sure. I wouldn't say definitely yes or no. I heard it (admittedly 3rd hand) through a very reliable source but as always with these Chinese whisper type things facts get bent fairly heavily, which is why I posted it in the rumour thread only, take everything you read in that thread with a grain of salt.

Nah never it wouldn't be like Carlton to cheat with the salary cap...;)

Brownlow Breakdown.

Rounds 1 to 8- Bont-6, Murphy-3, Picken-3, Stringer-2,
Dickson-2, Jong-2, Dahlhaus-1. total votes- 19
Opponents- West Coast, Richmond, Hawthorn, Adelaide,
Sydney, St Kilda, Fremantle, Melbourne.
Results- 4 Wins, 4 Losses.

Rounds 9 to 16- Wallis-7, Macrae-6, Wood-5, Boyd- 3,
Bont-3, JJ-2, Picken-1, Dahlhaus-1, Stringer-1. total votes-29
Opponents- GWS, Port Adel, BYE, Brisbane, St Kilda, Carlton,
Gold Coast, Geelong.
Results- 5 Wins, 2 Losses, 1 Bye.

Rounds 17 to 23- Boyd-5, Dahlhaus-5, Bont-4, Crameri-3,
Macrae-3, Hunter-2, Murphy-2, JJ-2, Wallis-1,
Wood-1. total votes-28.
Opponents- Collingwood, Essendon, Port Adel, Melbourne,
West Coast, North Melb, Brisbane.
Results- 5 Wins, 2 Losses.

Interesting microcosm view of our year, perhaps or maybe
i am a little bored again.o_O

The AFL is funding a study into long term effects of concussion on AFL players.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-...ehensive-study-into-brains-of-players/6842834

A couple of things I'd like to to say about this:

1. We like to criticise the AFL but they deserve a pat on the back for doing this (and for having a concussion committee with genuine neurologists on board, not just celeb ex-players like most of their panels). The cynics will no doubt suggest their hand was forced by the AFLPA and there would be more than a grain of truth in that, but the fact remains they have stumped up the funds and - more importantly - they seem prepared to deal with whatever the findings are.

2. This could be a really controversial and far-reaching issue. The prima facie evidence is that players who suffer multiple concussions have some degree of life-long after effects, although it seems to affect concussed players to varying levels. The comments by Leigh Adams' wife regarding his post-concussion symptoms are a little disturbing.
This has ramifications for:
  • the rules of the game - there may need to be some significant changes to minimise the risk of concussions
  • headgear - we might see a lot more players wearing headgear a la Caleb Daniel
  • early retirements - more players with one or more concussions might retire in their 20s rather than risk permanent brain damage in later life and possible personality changes (irritability etc)
  • take-up of the game - more kids may be steered by their parents toward basketball, soccer (although I wonder about use of the head in that code), tennis or other sports which have lower risk of brain injury

Some respect for the players who show no fear on the playing field (e.g. Cross, Wood, Jonathan Brown, Clay Smith, Picken et al). They may get a very big pay packet but there are some pretty serious OH&S risks that go with it.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-...ehensive-study-into-brains-of-players/6842834

1. We like to criticise the AFL but they deserve a pat on the back for doing this (and for having a concussion committee with genuine neurologists on board, not just celeb ex-players like most of their panels). The cynics will no doubt suggest their hand was forced by the AFLPA and there would be more than a grain of truth in that, but the fact remains they have stumped up the funds and - more importantly - they seem prepared to deal with whatever the findings are.

2. This could be a really controversial and far-reaching issue. The prima facie evidence is that players who suffer multiple concussions have some degree of life-long after effects, although it seems to affect concussed players to varying levels. The comments by Leigh Adams' wife regarding his post-concussion symptoms are a little disturbing.
  • the rules of the game - there may need to be some significant changes to minimise the risk of concussions
  • early retirements - more players with one or more concussions might retire in their 20s rather than risk permanent brain damage in later life and possible personality changes (irritability etc)
  • take-up of the game - more kids may be steered by their parents toward basketball, soccer (although I wonder about use of the head in that code), tennis or other sports which have lower risk of brain injury

Some respect for the players who show no fear on the playing field (e.g. Cross, Wood, Jonathan Brown, Clay Smith, Picken et al). They may get a very big pay packet but there are some pretty serious OH&S risks that go with it.
I wonder how Leigh Adams will go with everyday life.

He had to give it up due to multiple concussions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would give them a pat on the back if they weren't at least 5 years behind the times.
This has been a massive issue in the states for almost a decade now so saying they are doing well when they are just now getting on the wagon is a bit of a stretch.
There was even the massive news in 2011 ,which was all across our media, where an NFL player shot himself in the chest because he believed his mental health issues were caused by concussion and wanted his brain studied ( http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...rs-star-duerson-shot-self-wanted-brain-probed ).

The AFL deserve a kick up the backside not a pat on the back.

There doesn't seem to be a Bulldogs stats thread, so, going by the title of this one, I thought I would post this here. These are some of the best comebacks by Footscray/ Bulldogs I have been able to research, going back to 1978.

Margin | Time | Opponent | Game | Venue | Scores prior to comeback
\52|2nd Q (22 min)|Essendon|round 5, 1978|Western Oval|?
\48|2nd Q |Fitzroy|round 20, 1983|Western Oval|12-60
\47|2nd Q (15 min)|Geelong|round 12, 2001|Kardinia Park|15-62
\45|3rd Q (time on)|St. Kilda|round 21, 1983|Moorabbin|39-84
\44|1st Q (19 min)|North Melbourne|round 2, 1985|Waverley|0-44
\42|2nd Q (22 min)|North Melbourne|round 15, 2000|Docklands|30-72
\40|1/4 time|Sydney|round 14, 1999|SCG|10-50
\40|3/4 time|Adelaide|round 16, 1999|MCG|56-96
\40|2nd Q (13 min)|Geelong|round 9, 2002|Kardinia Park|21-61
\40|2nd Q (32 min)|North Melbourne|round 6, 2004|Manuka|50-90
\37|3rd Q (21 min)|Collingwood|round 10, 1984|Western Oval|?
\37|1/4 time|Collingwood|round 14, 1989|Western Oval|2-39
\37|3rd Q (12 min)|Geelong|round 21, 1985|Kardinia Park|48-85
\37|1/4 time|St. Kilda|round 3, 2008|Docklands|8-45
\37|3rd Q (11 min)|Gold Coast|round 15, 2015|Cazaly's Stadium|22-59
\35|1/2 time|Carlton|round 10, 1978|Western Oval|48-83
\34|3rd Q|North Melbourne|round 16, 1988|MCG|42-76
\34|1/2 time|Melbourne|round 12, 2000|Docklands|30-64
\33|3/4 time|Hawthorn|round 13, 1982|Western Oval|56-89
\32|2nd Q (5 min)|Fitzroy|round 3, 1993|Princes Park|15-47
\31|3/4 time|St. Kilda|round 9, 2000|Docklands|67-98
\31|3rd Q (14 min)|Adelaide|round 20, 2006|MCG|41-72
\30|2nd Q (21 min)|Melbourne|round 4, 1997|MCG|23-53
\30|2nd Q|Hawthorn|round 7, 1997|Princes Park|16-46
\30|2nd Q (20 min)|Sydney|1st semi, 2010|MCG|22-52

Anyone on here know when/if you are going to be titled 'Footscray Bulldogs'. I don't mean to be rude but I really loath 'Western', it's so meaningless.

Anyone on here know when/if you are going to be titled 'Footscray Bulldogs'. I don't mean to be rude but I really loath 'Western', it's so meaningless.
Ahhh that old chestnut. You should be able to find the answer to that somewhere here, it is asked every five posts. Won't happen, many here have moved on and many have changed their view over time.

If you like the name Footscray Bulldogs you can follow our VFL side ;)

Ahhh that old chestnut. You should be able to find the answer to that somewhere here, it is asked every five posts. Won't happen, many here have moved on and many have changed their view over time.

If you like the name Footscray Bulldogs you can follow our VFL side ;)
I used to....when you were Williamstown.

To be honest and please don't take offence because I'm not intending it in that way, but we really couldn't give a stuff if opposition supporters don't like or understand the name.

As long as we like and understand why, that's all that matters.

To be honest and please don't take offence because I'm not intending it in that way, but we really couldn't give a stuff if opposition supporters don't like or understand the name.

As long as we like and understand why, that's all that matters.
It wasn't whether I liked it, although I gave an opinion which I guess I shouldn't have. I was wondering if it was on the cards to revert to the original title.

It wasn't whether I liked it, although I gave an opinion which I guess I shouldn't have. I was wondering if it was on the cards to revert to the original title.
No issue with people giving an opinion, as I said I didn't mean for it to be a dig at you.
I was more referring to you saying you hated the Western part. It doesn't have to mean anything to people who don't support the dogs, so it doesn't really matter what they think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back