Number 17 - Hayden Ballantyne (pick 21 2008 ND)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Ballantyne @ 21???

I hope im wrong but it looks like this draft has been one disaster after another.

we got walters anyway so shut your hole. ballantyne is an awesome pick up anyway and the fact we now have both of them is an awesome bonus.

fancy bagging out our team of coaches who take our draft picks? because keyboard warriors such as ourselves would know more than them :rolleyes:

the fact Walters slid so far and we still got him shows why we listen to recruiters not chumps on bigfooty.

might want to see a doctor about removing your foot from your mouth.

Feel its more the fact there were quality KPP and mids going around at 21.

McKernan
Trengrove
Heyne
Robinson
Blight

to name a couple... i really hope Ballantyne learns to crumb

Feel its more the fact there were quality KPP and mids going around at 21.

McKernan
Trengrove
Heyne
Robinson
Blight

to name a couple... i really hope Ballantyne learns to crumb
We don't know if they are going to be quality. KPP are so hard to tell. Look at some that have gone high in previous drafts and turned out to be also rans. Leigh Brown being the key one, but theres plenty there.

Im surprised Ballantyne went so early but he does fill a need as he will be a walk up start in a fwd pocket round 1 2008. (whereas Walters is probably a year or 2 away). He will be a good player but geez we shouldve/couldve rookie listed him last year for nothing. Ian Richardson is a big shock he didnt get picked up. Would love to see us rookie list him as I believe he will dominate in the WAFL next year ala Ballantyne this year. But as someone already said its easy being a key board warrior or is that worrier?????

We don't know if they are going to be quality. KPP are so hard to tell. Look at some that have gone high in previous drafts and turned out to be also rans. Leigh Brown being the key one, but theres plenty there.

Which is why relying on the rookie draft to find some is a bit iffy. Anyway, I've now taken it all in and will put faith in the coaches to get the best out of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is why relying on the rookie draft to find some is a bit iffy. Anyway, I've now taken it all in and will put faith in the coaches to get the best out of them.
Really...? I'd rather try a rookie pick than waste a 2nd rounder in the last uncompromised draft for a while. Look at 2003 if you want proof of Key Forwards/Ruckmen taken early.

I think the rookie draft is pretty good for key position players. There are plenty of tall defenders still available, plus we could take a mature aged defender too. There is much less risk with the rookie draft, so it's easier to take KPP's as rookies.

Im still shocked that we took Ballantyne at Pick 21.

I just think we could have taken a good sized mid with some pace with picks 21 and 24. We only took one, considering how many picks we had, I think the focus should have been stocking our midfield.

And couldnt Pearce have been taken over someone like Ruffles? Pearce has a big body, is ready to go and despite the fact he plays good footy, he has a bit of mongrel about him.

We've taken 1 mid out of our 1st 4 picks?

I can get my head around the policy, if there is one.

But Welcome to all the kids

It does seem early for a guy who has been around a while but he was rated highly by recruiters and thats all that matters. If Swift wasn't there he might have gone at 20.

I think the rookie draft is pretty good for key position players. There are plenty of tall defenders still available, plus we could take a mature aged defender too. There is much less risk with the rookie draft, so it's easier to take KPP's as rookies.

You're right. I was thinking forwards. Pav ain't gonna be around forever and I can't see any elite tall forwards being left for the rookie draft.

You're right. I was thinking forwards. Pav ain't gonna be around forever and I can't see any elite tall forwards being left for the rookie draft.
It is the luxury of having Murphy/Campbell still. Yes I know they haven't exactly proved themselves but they are younger and they have shown glimpses. Key Defenders is more of a need, we have a few but obviously not enough. Don't forget we have Connelly who can play forward and this Clarke is apparently a forward/defender/ruck.

Casey Sibosado is still there, he is a very exciting tall forward from NT. And Tom Hill can play forward and ruck. Apparently we were interested in both of them.

Bucovaz at 188cm, can play as a third tall forward too.

Still though, would have been nice to say "hey pav train this mckernan kid up"....

Alas we box on... Im stoked we snared Walters but, think he will be the genuine winner out of our draft picks, apart from Hill of course...

I honestly don't mind this pick. I know some don't like him, but whenever I have seen him he has performed

he will slot straight into our 22

As much as people don't seem to like the fact we picked him with Pick 21. I think Ballantyne could well take over from Farmer, as our 'cult hero'. He has the skills, and he seems like he could be a fairly annoying player to other teams. Not to mention a bit of an ego. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back