Traded Rhys Stanley

Remove this Banner Ad

2nd Best winning % in offensive 1v1 contests behind tomohawk. (Involved in at least 42 contests)
39%

Source @fantasyfreako on twitter 19 sep.

I was reading through the 2013 Champion Data Prospectus and they had a section on 1v1 offensive contests that had a bunch of players win% and # of contests.

Player - # of contests / win %

Hawkins - 59 / 49.2%
Cloke - 88 / 46.6%
Roughhead - 35 / 42.9%
Tippett - 46 / 41.3%
N.Riewoldt - 38 / 39.5%
Ebert - 31 / 38.7%
Franklin - 70 / 38.6%
Cordy - 39 / 38.5%
Merrett - 30 / 36.7%
Petrie - 71 / 36.6%

That's from the 2012 season but it is a pretty good indicator of just how good Stanley's 39% is. Only including players that were involved in at least 42 contest can be a bit deceiving so showing them this way gives more context.

I think the frustrating thing with Rhys is that we know how good he could be because he shows it in glimpses, but is yet to put together a string of games where he plays at that level consistently.
Did we maybe think this isn't the case though?

I'm playing devils advocate here, but if you look at it and a bloke has played around 70 games - 1 of them exceptional, a handful of good games and then the rest he's been a non-factor....maybe he just doesn't have it in him?

I hope that the aboves not true, however for mine if he played at another club and he was linked to us, we'd be calling him a spud.

Hopefully Rhys can start to develop into the player we want him to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm playing devils advocate here, but if you look at it and a bloke has played around 70 games - 1 of them exceptional, a handful of good games and then the rest he's been a non-factor....maybe he just doesn't have it in him?

I hope that the aboves not true, however for mine if he played at another club and he was linked to us, we'd be calling him a spud.

Bit less than 70. He hit the magical 50 game mark late in the season this year, plus you have to remember, he spent a year getting his confidence destroyed in defence.

From his good games, we've seen him what he can do talent wise. He's had some shockers, admittedly, but most of his average games have been because he was cited for maybe one or two quarters and then missing for the rest of the game. Inconsistency is his biggest issue, imo.

Maybe he won't pull it altogether, but he made good strides this season and I can see where the improvement will come from. Next year, there's no excuses. He's got to perform or we'll know exactly where he sits in the pecking order.

He just hit 50 games. Talls always take longer.

If you looked at the first 50 games of the vast majority of players you would say they didn't have it in them.

He just hit 50 games. Talls always take longer.

If you looked at the first 50 games of the vast majority of players you would say they didn't have it in them.

Again - just giving the other point of view.

I've seen posters (me included) pot players with 50 games.

I hope he ends up being a dominant forward.

Here's what the 2015 Champion Data Prospectus had to say about Stanley:

Ranked 2nd at the Saints for marks on the lead, inside 50 targets, marks inside 50 and goals.

Ranked 3rd for scoreboard impact and returned career highs for Champion Data ranking point, disposals, contested marks, goals and tackles.

In offensive contests he recorded the 2nd highest winning % of the 42 players inteh AFL to be involved in at least 42 contests - ranked only behind Hawkins.

He won 148 hitouts, 51 went to a teammates advantage - the highest hitout-to-advantage rate of the top 50 players for ruck contests. Only 17 of his hitouts went straight to an opposition player - the equal lowest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back