Players cut by the same coach at 2 different clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know of any players? We were pondering the probable fate of Dean Terlich on the Dees board, probably going to be cut by Roos for the second time.

Anyone know of any players? We were pondering the probable fate of Dean Terlich on the Dees board, probably going to be cut by Roos for the second time.
What's happened to Terlich this year? Last season Roos was raving about how improved he was as a player since his short stint at Sydney.

What's happened to Terlich this year? Last season Roos was raving about how improved he was as a player since his short stint at Sydney.
No one faults his endeavour, but shocking disposal (in a team of players with shocking disposal). He got a good run last year, but the likes of Brayshaw, vandenBurg and Lamumba have well and truly pushed him out of the team.

Possibly Brad Boyd. Leigh Matthews traded him as an untried Collingwood player. Brad would ultimately finish his career at Brisbane under Matthews although I can't confirm whether he was delisted or retired on account of chronic injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His efforts in 2013 were great as a fresh on the scene mature recruit, but in a (slightly) more competitive team in 2014 his lack of defensive one on one ability stood out and he started to lose his confidence in his run and kicking with a new more responsible game plan.

He ended the year and had a fairly interrupted preseason with an ankle injury and has only started getting back to good VFL form.

I may have a golden oldie.

Les Hughson, was the bloke who played for 5 clubs in the 20s-30s.

It would appear he had a somewhat strange relationship with coach Dan Minogue.

Dan Minogue coached Hawthorn from 1926 to 1927. In 1927 Hughson played with Collingwood.

In 1928, Hughson transferred to Hawthorn for a season while Minogue went on to coach Carlton from 1929 to 1934.

Hughson then did not play VFL again until 1933 ( he played for Preston in the VFA in the intervening years) when he played 12 games for the Blues between 1933 to 1934. After playing 3 games for the Blues in 1934, Les transferred midseason to St Kilda in 1934 where he played 9 games that season, In 1934, St Kilda were coached by Colin Watson.

Now the excellent Blueseum establishes that Les got relegated to 19th man by Minogue in 1934 and was dropped for 2 weeks by Minogue after he expressed some displeasure at this situation which led to the St Kilda move.

For the 1935 season however St Kilda appointed Dan Minogue as coach (where would remain coach until 1937) and at the end of 1936, after playing 15 games that season for the Saints, Les transferred to Fitzroy in 1937 where his brothers played.

Minogue was out of the VFL until 1940 when he returned as coach from 1940 -1942 for ...... Fitzroy.

Brent Crosswell by Barassi (at Carlton and North)?

Edit: might be North and Melbourne, not Carlton

Last edited:
Brent Crosswell by Barassi (at Carlton and North)?

Barassi ended him it for him at Melbourne, too.

Ron Barassi (coach)
Carlton - 1965-1971
North Melbourne - 1973–1980
Melbourne - 1964, 1981–1985
Sydney - 1993–1995

Brent Crosswell (player)
Carlton - 1968-1975
North Melbourne - 1975-1979
Melbourne - 1980-1982

Possibly Brad Boyd. Leigh Matthews traded him as an untried Collingwood player. Brad would ultimately finish his career at Brisbane under Matthews although I can't confirm whether he was delisted or retired on account of chronic injuries.

Pretty sure it was injuries, he wasn't pushed.

Found this from Boyd
"I was the first of eight players picked by the Brisbane Bears. But it was a disappointing venture for me. I played only 30 minutes of footy with the club in 1997 due to back and hamstring injuries and only another 14 during the next two years before I retired at 27.

Overall I missed 80 games through injury, which is a lot when you consider I played only 85 with Fitzroy and Brisbane during my career.

But I had my highs. I was Fitzroy captain at 22, won the club best and fairest in 1995 and represented Victoria in 1994 and 1995."

He was a quality player.

Pretty sure it was injuries, he wasn't pushed.

Found this from Boyd
"I was the first of eight players picked by the Brisbane Bears. But it was a disappointing venture for me. I played only 30 minutes of footy with the club in 1997 due to back and hamstring injuries and only another 14 during the next two years before I retired at 27.

Overall I missed 80 games through injury, which is a lot when you consider I played only 85 with Fitzroy and Brisbane during my career.

But I had my highs. I was Fitzroy captain at 22, won the club best and fairest in 1995 and represented Victoria in 1994 and 1995."

He was a quality player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back