Opinion Players Reinventing Themselves

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 19, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I think a few of our best 22 and other players are going to have to take a step back and ask themselves if what they are doing is enough for the club. I am quite worried that we have too many one-track ponies in our team and that the future of AFL is leading towards players who can play multiple positions.

The players who I believe are in question are:

Dylan Grimes
Shaun Grigg*
Jake Batchelor
Aaron Edwards
Jake King
Steve Morris*

* Not a complete reinvention

I'll go through each player and explain why they need to change for their benefit and the benefit of the team.
Dylan Grimes is a serviceable 3rd tall defender. However, he is the player likely to be squeezed out with Rance's return. I think that Grimes is good enough, quick enough and agile enough to be playing senior AFL football. But as only a third tall, it doesn't seem like he'll be playing in the firsts. Which is I think Grimes should look at being a Tyson Goldsack type player. He should go into the VFL and learn how to play as a defensively aggressive half-forward flanker. He has a nice height, and amazing speed and agility which most defenders couldn't keep up with. On top of that, he would have the defensive pressure required as he has played in defence his entire career. The best thing is that he would be a swingman, being able to rotate from defense to attack whenever needed.

Shaun Grigg is one who seems on the edge of losing his senior spot. The Shaun Grigg of 2012 was a great footballer. He ran hard both ways, provided an outlet when trying to exit defence and had the heart to take on opposition. I believe he has become complacent and needs to go back to the VFL and learn to defend again. It probably wouldn't hurt to give him the first-year rookie position where he goes in defence and learns to defend. A defensive minded Shaun Grigg would benefit Richmond firsts.

Batchelor was a very good footballer as a roaming defender who would take intercept marks back in 2011/2012 but people need to understand that this position is now redundant. There is no room in the AFL for a player who only goes up third man without being assigned a man or providing an offensive option. With Batch's awkward size, he is too small for tall forwards but he is not agile to go against small forwards either. Which is why the only option for him is to either learn how to be a rebounding/offensive defender or try to reinvent himself as a wingman. Batch as a wingman is quite interesting because he knows how to position himself, he would be great defensively and he has good skills. He would also be a pain with his big size against opposition.

Aaron Edwards is likely in his last season as an AFL footballer. His position is as a third tall but he is simply not good enough/position isn't needed to make our senior side. I think A.Edwards still has a bit to offer the side. Edwards often used to push up the ground to help our midfielders. Occasionally, he would get the ball, tuck it under his arm and sprint away, leaving everyone in awe. Good, he has speed. He has good size for a midfielder and up forward, would be impossible for any midfielder to defend him. If Aaron gives a good crack at growing his tank, I think he could potentially be a midfielder at AFL standard. He has the speed, size, strength and the versatility to go forward.

Jake King has successfully reinvented himself in the past from a small backman to a small forward but he is quickly being overtaken by other small forwards such as Lloyd, Arnot and Gordon. Matthew Stokes was in a similar position at Geelong. He was only a small forward and his spot in the team was becoming jeopardized with the emergence of Stephen Motlop. Stokes spent the entire off-season building his tank and came back as a great midfielder. If King still has fire in the belly, then this is something he needs to consider.

Steve Morris is a very very good small defender. I say it's not good enough. Morris can only do one thing, which is defend. What is worse is that when he gets the ball he often makes a silly mistake and turns it over. Even if Morris cleans up his kicking, he is still only getting the ball 5-10 times in a game. Morris' opponent is still kicking 1-2 goals a game and still applying defensive pressure. It's as though we are playing 21 players on the ground. Morris needs to reinvent himself as a defender who can take a defender, but also provide offensive run. I use players such as Enright, Jaensch and Rampe as an example.

This is only my opinion and would love to get some discussion and debate going.
MR

I think a few of our best 22 and other players are going to have to take a step back and ask themselves if what they are doing is enough for the club. I am quite worried that we have too many one-track ponies in our team and that the future of AFL is leading towards players who can play multiple positions.

The players who I believe are in question are:

Dylan Grimes
Shaun Grigg*
Jake Batchelor
Aaron Edwards
Jake King
Steve Morris*

* Not a complete reinvention

I'll go through each player and explain why they need to change for their benefit and the benefit of the team.
Dylan Grimes is a serviceable 3rd tall defender. However, he is the player likely to be squeezed out with Rance's return. I think that Grimes is good enough, quick enough and agile enough to be playing senior AFL football. But as only a third tall, it doesn't seem like he'll be playing in the firsts. Which is I think Grimes should look at being a Tyson Goldsack type player. He should go into the VFL and learn how to play as a defensively aggressive half-forward flanker. He has a nice height, and amazing speed and agility which most defenders couldn't keep up with. On top of that, he would have the defensive pressure required as he has played in defence his entire career. The best thing is that he would be a swingman, being able to rotate from defense to attack whenever needed.

Shaun Grigg is one who seems on the edge of losing his senior spot. The Shaun Grigg of 2012 was a great footballer. He ran hard both ways, provided an outlet when trying to exit defence and had the heart to take on opposition. I believe he has become complacent and needs to go back to the VFL and learn to defend again. It probably wouldn't hurt to give him the first-year rookie position where he goes in defence and learns to defend. A defensive minded Shaun Grigg would benefit Richmond firsts.

Batchelor was a very good footballer as a roaming defender who would take intercept marks back in 2011/2012 but people need to understand that this position is now redundant. There is no room in the AFL for a player who only goes up third man without being assigned a man or providing an offensive option. With Batch's awkward size, he is too small for tall forwards but he is not agile to go against small forwards either. Which is why the only option for him is to either learn how to be a rebounding/offensive defender or try to reinvent himself as a wingman. Batch as a wingman is quite interesting because he knows how to position himself, he would be great defensively and he has good skills. He would also be a pain with his big size against opposition.

Aaron Edwards is likely in his last season as an AFL footballer. His position is as a third tall but he is simply not good enough/position isn't needed to make our senior side. I think A.Edwards still has a bit to offer the side. Edwards often used to push up the ground to help our midfielders. Occasionally, he would get the ball, tuck it under his arm and sprint away, leaving everyone in awe. Good, he has speed. He has good size for a midfielder and up forward, would be impossible for any midfielder to defend him. If Aaron gives a good crack at growing his tank, I think he could potentially be a midfielder at AFL standard. He has the speed, size, strength and the versatility to go forward.

Jake King has successfully reinvented himself in the past from a small backman to a small forward but he is quickly being overtaken by other small forwards such as Lloyd, Arnot and Gordon. Matthew Stokes was in a similar position at Geelong. He was only a small forward and his spot in the team was becoming jeopardized with the emergence of Stephen Motlop. Stokes spent the entire off-season building his tank and came back as a great midfielder. If King still has fire in the belly, then this is something he needs to consider.

Steve Morris is a very very good small defender. I say it's not good enough. Morris can only do one thing, which is defend. What is worse is that when he gets the ball he often makes a silly mistake and turns it over. Even if Morris cleans up his kicking, he is still only getting the ball 5-10 times in a game. Morris' opponent is still kicking 1-2 goals a game and still applying defensive pressure. It's as though we are playing 21 players on the ground. Morris needs to reinvent himself as a defender who can take a defender, but also provide offensive run. I use players such as Enright, Jaensch and Rampe as an example.

This is only my opinion and would love to get some discussion and debate going.
MR

Wouldn't waste anyone's time trying to reinvent King or Aaron Edwards. Morris definitely has to become a better rebounder and this can be achieved against the lower sides or against sides that lack a small forward threat. Grigg definitely has to become more accountable and 2 or 3 weeks off a HBF in the 2s could achieve this, I think Grigg is important but is unaccountable (but not lazy). Batchelor, I agree, should learn to play on a wing, but I think he is capable of being a third tall (not just a loose man) but as has been said there is a lot of competition down back. I also agree on Grimes, he would be in our top 5 for pace at the club and reads the play well. Playing off HF in the twos mightn't be the worst idea.

I love the idea of Grimes on the HFF MR , anyone think he may play as a wingman ? If we could cover Morris in the back (Dea ??) could Morris go forward ?? We have seen in past game Morris come through the middle from back to attack (Ie Hawks game , great goal to Steve)... I totally agree with your comment that players who don't have multiple weapons are really being exposed MR. We may be able to carry 1or 2 but will probably get burned with more.... Good thread MR ...

Steve Morris needs to play within his limitations
Grimesy should be dropped to get some confidence, meanwhile batch takes his spot until rance is ready.
Azza is simply insurance
Grigg should learn how to tag or he ll be played out of the side
King is finished unless there are injuries or some of the newbies form falls off the cliff
That is all

Wouldn't waste anyone's time trying to reinvent King or Aaron Edwards. Morris definitely has to become a better rebounder and this can be achieved against the lower sides or against sides that lack a small forward threat. Grigg definitely has to become more accountable and 2 or 3 weeks off a HBF in the 2s could achieve this, I think Grigg is important but is unaccountable (but not lazy). Batchelor, I agree, should learn to play on a wing, but I think he is capable of being a third tall (not just a loose man) but as has been said there is a lot of competition down back. I also agree on Grimes, he would be in our top 5 for pace at the club and reads the play well. Playing off HF in the twos mightn't be the worst idea.
I don't think anyone has the right to deny a player who is trying to reignite his career due to his age. It is the players responsibility to reinvent themselves and I personally believe that Edwards and King still can offer our club. It is up to them if they want to continue their AFL careers.

Sounds good. While we're at it we could move Martin to half back, move Arnott to the forward pocket, chuck Shane Edwards in the guts, re-invent Newman as a half forward, play Griff in the backline and drag Jack further up the ground and use him as a decoy for Tyrone.

Oh, and Griggs into the ruck.

Batchelor plays his best footy as third KPD who offers rebound. He doesn't need to reinvent himself, he needs to be played accordingly in position, not taking on the 2nd best forward.

I'd consider plonking Ty at CHB for a bit. I just don't think he runs anywhere near hard enough for a modern day forward. No player wants to have a bag kicked on them and so this should motivate him to run all day. Would love to see him play on Nick Riewoldt - just so as he can see how hard you have to actually work to be a good player. Ty has the speed. He has the agility. He can kick. He just doesn't run and compete as hard as he needs to. Give him the Griff treatment and put him at CHB.

I reckon Astbury would be a decent swingman. Plays like an anchor forward which would be quite useful for us.

A good discussion topic! Like many I think A.Edwards and Kingy are in their last year.
I do think however that there is still room for Grimes in the backline even when Rance returns.
He hasn't got his old form back yet but Grimes can play small as well as tall.
So I think Grimes Rance Chaplin and Astbury can play together

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even after all his injuries? I havent really noticed much pace out of him in a while.

I'd consider plonking Ty at CHB for a bit. I just don't think he runs anywhere near hard enough for a modern day forward. No player wants to have a bag kicked on them and so this should motivate him to run all day. Would love to see him play on Nick Riewoldt - just so as he can see how hard you have to actually work to be a good player. Ty has the speed. He has the agility. He can kick. He just doesn't run and compete as hard as he needs to. Give him the Griff treatment and put him at CHB.

Until they enivitably kick a bag on him.

Great OP.

Without going into the different players, I want to copy & paste in something I added in a different thread just now, before I spotted this one.

"I really enjoyed watching Geelong play Hawthorn yesterday. And one of the KEY features of these teams is their flexibility. Let me list some players who don't have a single best position. Hodge. Bartell. Roughead. Burgouyne. Steve Johnson. Enright kicked 2 goals. **** me, Stokes is a midfielder this year. Kelly is a backman, again. These top end talents play where their team needs them most. That's one of the things that makes them top end talents."

I'd extend the list of Grimes, Grigg, Batchelor etc to include most of the current 22.

What's the difference between a HBF and a forward pocket in 2014?

IMO, about 2 minutes. Every player is currently playing every position, at some point during the game (with maybe the exception of ruck, one KPF and one KPD). A complete player is good player.

Dylan Grimes - Can't see him re inventing, once had huge potential is now all lost. Getting gifted games in hope something is there that isn't.

Shaun Grigg - Doesn't back himself, soft as meadow lea. Just needs to play his usual game with some urgency/effort/awareness and GUTS.

Jake Batchelor - Re invent what?

Aaron Edwards - Is a great player as is, just isn't a coaches pet. We desperately need him.

Jake King - retirement, can play rest of year as back up if arnot gets injured. Gift him a farewell game.

Steve Morris - Similar to grigg although has a lot more heart/passion/guts than grigg ever will. There is a problem though, might just be a team reaction, vibe, effect.

We will be better off when the VFL guys really start putting their hands up and putting pressure on the bottom 4-5 players in the seniors every week.

Lennon, Knights, Dea, Batchelor, Azza Edwards, McBean and Elton to follow on McDonough, Arnot, Gordon and Lloyd. Also need to elevate Miles pronto IMO. With so many underperforming players at the moment, the VFL side need to start putting a lot of pressure on those players not pulling their weight. Hardwick also needs to stop picking favourites if they are struggling badly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back