Please Identify: South Melbourne Players 1930s-50s?

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael Riley

Team Captain
Jun 17, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Brighton VFA
Hi all,

I am doing some research into the collection of football photos at the State Library of Victoria by photographer Charles Boyles.

The collection was submitted to the library but many photos remain unidentified. I was wondering if anyone can help me work out who some of the players are.

Boyles took many photos at South Melbourne and any assistance would be appreciated.

Player 1:
122_216_resize.jpg

http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/17012

Player 2:
122_217_resize.jpg

http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/16961

Player 3:
122_221_resize.jpg

http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/16781

Player 4:
122_222_resize.jpg

http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/16833

Player 5:
122_226_resize.jpg

http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/16926

Kind Regards

Michael Riley

Some great pics there mate, noticed the goalposts in a different position...sorry I can't help you though, love the old stand, even the unmolested picket fence etc some great memories thanks for that..

Where can I view the rest of the photos? Online somewhere perhaps?
I have only one of my pop but it is in a vic jumper.
Most original South Melbourne photos from the club were lost, stolen etc during the 'relocation'.., some great ones on display at the Hall of Fame dinners though.

Thanks Baja,

The photos are free online, and anyone can access them. Do a search for "South Melbourne Football" in the Victoria State library catalogue and most of the photos will turn up.

The only issue is that there is no index and many of the players are un-named. Ken Mansell has written an index but it is not online. Ken and I are working on an improved version of the index.

If you give me a name, I can have a look for you and tell you which photo.

Cheers Michael

Thanks Baja,

The photos are free online, and anyone can access them. Do a search for "South Melbourne Football" in the Victoria State library catalogue and most of the photos will turn up.

The only issue is that there is no index and many of the players are un-named. Ken Mansell has written an index but it is not online. Ken and I are working on an improved version of the index.

If you give me a name, I can have a look for you and tell you which photo.

Cheers Michael

Thanks for that link, I found myself scrolling through the old pics for hours looking for a certain bloke but just couldn't nail it, the references where like 1920-1950 etc so it was hard. Still great looking at the old pics. I noticed a few of the players pics weren't football related so I could possibly add a few from photo albums handed down from my parents they are in the back of the cupboard somewhere but I don't have a scanner. I have a great old photo of Peter Reville in Tasmania sitting on my pops porch, barefoot in the middle of a Devonport winter with a bottle of beer and a huge grin, pretty sure there are others of Tasmanians that played for South from the same era but they aren't exactly football photos. They were a pretty close bunch I hear from stories, sadly my Dads no longer with us or I could put names to them all. Thanks again for the link, Ill try again to find pop when I have more time.

Number 5 is Don Howard who also played for the Bombers.

good work Fu, all I could say of that photo is that it was in front of the ump/timekeepers rooms and in the background was where the opposition cheer squad sat, in the windy outer where they belonged. Just to the right was the time clock and small scoreboard that was like a small crows nest on a ship, that was my post keeping the score as a kid, watched most games from there getting paid 5 bucks(that was CEO money to a kid), a pie and a Big M., I was a god amongst the other kids...:thumbsu:

good work Fu, all I could say of that photo is that it was in front of the ump/timekeepers rooms and in the background was where the opposition cheer squad sat, in the windy outer where they belonged. Just to the right was the time clock and small scoreboard that was like a small crows nest on a ship, that was my post keeping the score as a kid, watched most games from there getting paid 5 bucks(that was CEO money to a kid), a pie and a Big M., I was a god amongst the other kids...:thumbsu:
That outer was where i learnt to drink at the night footy, we used to get an adult to buy us a large can of Carlton Draught each and that was enough lol.
The ump/timekeepers box was where we in the cheersquad used to sleep before home games.
So you were the little prick who used to f the scores up.
Funny that the first 3 pics were taken at the Junction Oval

That outer was where i learnt to drink at the night footy, we used to get an adult to buy us a large can of Carlton Draught each and that was enough lol.
The ump/timekeepers box was where we in the cheersquad used to sleep before home games.
So you were the little prick who used to f the scores up.
Funny that the first 3 pics were taken at the Junction Oval

ahh your right, thats why I thought the goal posts were in the wrong spot.. and I used to f the scores up on purpose, the opposition cheersquad were just in front of me and I loved the abuse. I remember those cans, they had a steel spine and you could use them to stand on to get a better view in the outer..
Just behind the umps rooms was the caretakers house, one of his daughters was my girlfriend.

Thank you Barry Fu... I was not holding out much luck for any of the photos, so that is terrific and very much appreciated.

Player 1 played in mid 1940s. He is in a number of Photos with Herbie Matthews as Captain, and one with Jack Graham as captain.

Considering the first three are taken at the Junction Oval, they are likely to be taken between 1944-46 while the Lake Oval was not being used for football.
even if we do not have names, you guys have certainly helped narrow the time frame....so thank you

I will also try and follow up with Jim Main, but as this is quite a popular forum, I will post a few more here as well..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for that link, I found myself scrolling through the old pics for hours looking for a certain bloke but just couldn't nail it, the references where like 1920-1950 etc so it was hard. Still great looking at the old pics. I noticed a few of the players pics weren't football related so I could possibly add a few from photo albums handed down from my parents they are in the back of the cupboard somewhere but I don't have a scanner. I have a great old photo of Peter Reville in Tasmania sitting on my pops porch, barefoot in the middle of a Devonport winter with a bottle of beer and a huge grin, pretty sure there are others of Tasmanians that played for South from the same era but they aren't exactly football photos. They were a pretty close bunch I hear from stories, sadly my Dads no longer with us or I could put names to them all. Thanks again for the link, Ill try again to find pop when I have more time.

Peter Reville was a real character. Loved a drop. He lived down the road from us in Clifton Hill. Went to school with his two boys. I used to watch in awe when he"d walk past our house

Clifton Hill? Was he originally Tasmanian? Im gonna have a look for the photo and will buy a scanner thing, only cost about 50 bucks Im told ao Ill post some pics or email to Michael Riley when done.

Clifton Hill? Was he originally Tasmanian? Im gonna have a look for the photo and will buy a scanner thing, only cost about 50 bucks Im told ao Ill post some pics or email to Michael Riley when done.

Not sure where Peter came from originally,but he lived in Clifton Hill for a number of years. I have an excellent photo of the 1945 side. I"ll have to see if I can scan it and send it along

Remove this Banner Ad

Back