Review R3: Port v North Melbourne Review

Remove this Banner Ad

As tempting as it is to want to go mock norf about their cries of 'umpires cost us the game', I wouldn't recommend it. They're touchy.

Just finished serving a day off for suggesting (in their own 'our crowds are bad' thread) that we are happy to lend them the tarps we no longer require.

Bunch of humorless ninnies.
Welcome back SaintChris - norf fans have no sense of humour.

That's almost a permanent look for Thompson
Yeah, he'll get over it.

Pushes the boundaries as much as any defender in the league regarding scragging and niggling, then bitches like he's untouchable when a free doesn't go his way.

Hmmm. A couple of lines in a larger article is still not quite nuclear. Nothing on AFL360, or On The Couch. Only Footy Classified to go.
So what I'm hearing was said on the Ch7 broadcast by Richo & co and an article centred on him and the frees paid to him (see this post for the screenshot of what they posted accompanying the article to fb) isn't a huge kerfuffle in your book? I mean it's no ASADA story but it's still being brought up a seriously unreasonable amount in a light while makes the team and Jay out as bank robbers with the favourable decisions.

Have a browse on social media, Fox Footy even posted a whole article about it!
Fox Footy's pandering to the FB audience makes their s**t genuinely unreadable to anyone with a clue.

Checked the Monfries one on the replay, Monfries was going for the ball and Thompson didn't make enough of an effort to go for the ball while he blocked him. He just looked at him and fell into him. Those are sometimes missed but the umpire was right there and Richo, who screamed out is what not there, would have been ropable if he had not been paid one like that. The first Schulz one was hanging on every day of the year, the next two were questionable but the Roos would have taken them.

Hmmm. A couple of lines in a larger article is still not quite nuclear. Nothing on AFL360, or On The Couch. Only Footy Classified to go.
I think edgie was quite clearly being hyperbolic. I mean, he clearly wasn't speaking literally was he?

Checked the Monfries one on the replay, Monfries was going for the ball and Thompson didn't make enough of an effort to go for the ball while he blocked him. He just looked at him and fell into him. Those are sometimes missed but the umpire was right there and Richo, who screamed out is what not there, would have been ropable if he had not been paid one like that. The first Schulz one was hanging on every day of the year, the next two were questionable but the Roos would have taken them.

Monfries clearly got hit in the head before he grabbed hold of Thompson, but, you know, sometimes paid, sometimes not. Umpires clearly said that the head hit was before the hold.

I think edgie was quite clearly being hyperbolic. I mean, he clearly wasn't speaking literally was he?
Look I don't know. There's a lot of footy media out there, and a lot of internet based stuff like BigFooty itself. People get prickly and go hunting for stuff to be upset by, we see it here all the time. Taking the largely passive approach of watching a few well known Monday night footy programs there is nothing/zilch/nada so far on umpiring from our game, let alone anything on Jay Schulz.

Yes there's a few people in the media who have brought it up but I haven't seen anything in the news about a nuclear bomb going off at Alberton..

We beat north away from home.

ibbpHEPw0W1G8M.gif

Bhwahahaha

That fox footy headline on fb. 'Three goals from questionable frees'

By questionable do they mean , how the frak can scott Thompson be holding onto Shultz with both hands and be shocked he got called for holding. I mean , if he wasn't holding shultz's arm he wouldn't have been done for holding shultz's arm.

Meanwhile franklin runs around with his palm permanently fixed to his defenders face whenever it is in reach and gets a free if they give his hand beard rash , and gets lauded as a champion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watching the replay and noticed Westhoff give Robbie Gray a spray telling him to take the ******* shot instead of trying to pass to him in a worse position. I loved it and wholeheartedly agree Justin, if you take a mark in or around 50 take the shot. Back yourself in. Every time. If you don't make the distance then it can create goal square crumbing opportunities.

For reference it was pretty much the first play of the game.

Yep, that's been a really annoying part of our play this season. Sometimes it's like we'd rather kick it to the chest of an opposition player in the pocket than have a shot from 50-55

Just watching the replay and noticed Westhoff give Robbie Gray a spray telling him to take the ******* shot instead of trying to pass to him in a worse position. I loved it and wholeheartedly agree Justin, if you take a mark in or around 50 take the shot. Back yourself in. Every time. If you don't make the distance then it can create goal square crumbing opportunities.

The brilliance of the clearance and the fast delivery to Gray and then the shambles you refer to above made us look like the recovering team of 2013. Nothing like the sharp team of early 2014. It's pretty much the early judgement on us in the footy media.

This one was horrible to watch sitting behind the goals. I had $10 on Robbie to kick the first, so I was bouncing around like a little kid when he took that mark. Then he fluffs it up, with a nothing kick into the pocket.

I agree, kick the bloody goal!!

Just on the media stuff, I was laughing at how Brownless on the Sunday Footy Show kept mentioning how North were "home" with 4 minutes left because they hit the front. That's just not how the game went and the whole panel knew it. I swear stuff like this is just an agenda, trying to reassure the casuals/people who didn't watch the game/simpletons that "Port nicked it" and "North were unlucky" and all this soft s**t, excuses. But it's not North's fault. I reckon they are terrible victims of the worst footy culture over there. The poor mob were out of nowhere labelled "flag fancies" repeatedly for weeks leading up to Round 1 which I found ridiculous yet some seemed to just go with. They are bigged up so much when they look like they're alright, then when they lose a tight game all the excuses come out for them, so they develop that softness almost subconciously, does that make sense to others? Then when they do a classic North and fall away they are hammered so hard it's alarming. They are just the team that gets knocked around every year, poked fun at, laughed at, it's like the nerd at school that the jocks pretend is really cool just to see them sweat when they get the confidence to start believing it, then they get ripped down to size and laughed at for believing it.. :D

One thing I keep seeing North supporters complain about is the Jacobs deliberate.

I don't know how that is not deliberate. When you choose to dribble the ball out of bounds and no player is in site, it is deliberate every time.

The argument was that he kicked it with his opposite foot, which I cannot understand.

One thing I keep seeing North supporters complain about is the Jacobs deliberate.

I don't know how that is not deliberate. When you choose to dribble the ball out of bounds and no player is in site, it is deliberate every time.

The argument was that he kicked it with his opposite foot, which I cannot understand.

I always use the "what if it were one of our players test"

I would have been ****ing livid if that was paid against us. He had no other real option but to kick it from the danger area.

Was always going to be paid but that doesn't make it right.

I always use the "what if it were one of our players test"

I would have been ****ing livid if that was paid against us. He had no other real option but to kick it from the danger area.

Was always going to be paid but that doesn't make it right.
Agree. There needs to be a rule but a common sense one. The rushed behind is closer to common sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back