Random Random Chat Thread XL

Remove this Banner Ad

I love books. I can spend hours in a bookshop or library. I used to read a lot but last few years it’s dropped off - I’ll start a book and don’t finish it. At least not straight away. I have half and partial reads going on at the moment. Last complete reads were The Dry, The Midnight Library and How To Stop Time.

When I turned 40 things started to change for me and little things like what book to read becomes like a huge commitment. It’s strange for me but I think it’s simply that I have more everyday things to do now that take up my time so whatever spare time I do have I like to make sure it’s utilised properly.

That said I keep acquiring books whether digital or hard copy. Some audiobooks by Alexander McCall Smith. Such fun and entertaining stories. My fav author is Stephen King and will always get the first release if I can - never a digital copy as I collect his books. But moved onto Wilbur Smith and love how he used to write. Then I just started to read all sorts of stuff. I love books about time travel. I like history, archeological stuff etc. My latest partial reads are Before The Coffee Gets Cold and Into The Deep. I will finish them at some point.

Anyone want to share or recommend a good book (that I can partially or half) read? 🤣

I love books. I can spend hours in a bookshop or library. I used to read a lot but last few years it’s dropped off - I’ll start a book and don’t finish it. At least not straight away. I have half and partial reads going on at the moment. Last complete reads were The Dry, The Midnight Library and How To Stop Time.

When I turned 40 things started to change for me and little things like what book to read becomes like a huge commitment. It’s strange for me but I think it’s simply that I have more everyday things to do now that take up my time so whatever spare time I do have I like to make sure it’s utilised properly.

That said I keep acquiring books whether digital or hard copy. Some audiobooks by Alexander McCall Smith. Such fun and entertaining stories. My fav author is Stephen King and will always get the first release if I can - never a digital copy as I collect his books. But moved onto Wilbur Smith and love how he used to write. Then I just started to read all sorts of stuff. I love books about time travel. I like history, archeological stuff etc. My latest partial reads are Before The Coffee Gets Cold and Into The Deep. I will finish them at some point.

Anyone want to share or recommend a good book (that I can partially or half) read? 🤣

I can consume books by David Baldacci with ridiculous ease. Fast paced crime/action books. I stumbled across him when I bought a book for 50c at my kids primary school fete, for a while there a standard Christmas present for me was his next release.

I used to read a lot of Steven King, then moved onto Raymond Feist. Feist got me into the fantasy realm where I can no longer recall the authors I used to enjoy (Eddings was one though).

I've got a number of non-fiction war books and mainly sporting (auto)biographies too. Somme Mud is one of the best I read, basically the largely unedited memoirs of a WWI soldier in France.

I don't read a lot but when I do I churn through books pretty quickly.

Thank you for your reply Pweter
I’ll be sure to give David Baldacci a go.
Any I should start with?

For crime I have read a couple of Michael Connelly and I enjoyed those.

Got a few Peter FitzSimon books as well.

I have read a bit of historical fiction as well in the past. Conn Iggulden esp his wars of the roses series - it was fantastic as is Wilbur Smith’s Egyptian series. I read those extremely quickly. Very well written. Conn also writes fantasy - Empire of the Salt series I think.

i've always enjoyed matthew reily's books because they're very readable

Any I should start with?

I have read a bit of historical fiction as well in the past. Conn Iggulden esp his wars of the roses series - it was fantastic as is Wilbur Smith’s Egyptian series. I read those extremely quickly. Very well written. Conn also writes fantasy - Empire of the Salt series I think.
The Atlee Pine and John Puller series are the ones I've gone through, as well as Last Man Standing which is amongst his stand alone books. Last Man Standing is probably a good one to see if you like his style of writing given there's no links to any other books in his catalogue.

The only 2 Peter Fitzsimons books I've got are Kokoda and Tobruk, but both really good.

Any I should start with?

I also got this 2 Christmas's ago: Sons of War

It was a good read and ended up a bit personal for my family when reading about one of the soldier's experience. My great uncle fought in WWII and one of the stories covers where he fought, the massacre that took place, the officers involved etc. All of this had been relayed back to my grandmother and her family by a returned serviceman as my great uncle lost his life right there at the point of the story.

I also got this 2 Christmas's ago: Sons of War

It was a good read and ended up a bit personal for my family when reading about one of the soldier's experience. My great uncle fought in WWII and one of the stories covers where he fought, the massacre that took place, the officers involved etc. All of this had been relayed back to my grandmother and her family by a returned serviceman as my great uncle lost his life right there at the point of the story.
Oh my goodness. I’m sorry for your loss. I too had a great uncle serve in WWII. Thank you for these recommendations.

was half asleep wwatching the tele and nearly s**t my dacks cos i thought i'd got some more speeding fines (the last one was for overtaking someone on the way to work on the freeway which was probably my fault) but apparently 1 demerit point is close enough to 5 (as i'm on my green p plates) to warrent a reminder not to speed (i have not sped since then)

Watched dawn french show last night. Very very funny lady. I’m a dibley fan and was awesome to see her live.

Great show.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back