Review Rd 1 2022 Carlton vs Collingwood = Pies by 19 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2006
Collingwood
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Mighty Mongooses

Collingwood's 19-point win was punctuated not only by Davey's injury, but three goals from 50m penalties thanks to some undisciplined acts from the Blues in the 6.8 (44) to 3.7 (25) result.

Well it was great to get the win but can't help but think of poor Bri. 😥😥😥😥😥😥 Fingers crossed when the scans come in it's not a full reco.

Would love to hear people thoughts on the game and especially from those at the game.

I thought we dominated but failed to convert. We were clearly the more polished team with cleaner passages of play.

Downie struggled in the ruck. To the point I was thinking we needed to set up to counter the Blues ruck with a defensive side mid because she kept thumping it forward for territory. I almost think Fowler should be number 1.

Lambert was huge. Best on for us. Allen also in the best. Stood up and very underrated.

I thought James looked hugely promising. That passage of play at half back where she won possession, side stepped to create space in traffic and had the composure to find and hit a target. That's unusual in the womans game and puts her up with someone like Brazill - just a first impression.

Umpiring was horrific both ways. I thought it was inconsistent with similar incidents adjudicated completely differently. Three of our girls get slung in tackles no free then Lambert gets pinged for the same action. We got rolled with the decisions early, then were lucky with (some of the) 50m penalties, then we had the rub if it in the last. It needs to be addressed if the game is to be professional.

Shattered for Bri and the club. I reckon it's the knee and that could be our season cooked she's that important.

Thanks Maggie5 for letting me know about the stream on the app.

We need Davey if we are any chance to win the flag. She is that important to us. Yes, it will give other midfielders a chance to step up, but they are not as strong or creative as Bri. One of those footballers who, when they have the ball, do the right thing with it. Love her.

I was at the game but TBH I missed a fair bit of it. I was moving around a lot to dodge the virus more crowded areas in the Legends Stand (what a misnomer for Carlton, how about the Corporate Criminals Stand?). I ended up on the top row near the goals and had poor sight lines. Half the time I couldn’t tell who had the ball for us.

As I posted yesterday we started off being very rusty, but as the game progressed our superiority was obvious and we started to have passages which were reminiscent of our flowing best of 2021.

Can’t wait for Vic Park this week. We already play our best footy there. Our sixth AFLW season and the old Abbotsford magic is clearly at work. I believe the girls love playing there, and soaking up the adoration of the Sherrin Stand.

I thought we dominated but failed to convert. We were clearly the more polished team with cleaner passages of play.

Downie struggled in the ruck. To the point I was thinking we needed to set up to counter the Blues ruck with a defensive side mid because she kept thumping it forward for territory. I almost think Fowler should be number 1.

Lambert was huge. Best on for us. Allen also in the best. Stood up and very underrated.

I thought James looked hugely promising. That passage of play at half back where she won possession, side stepped to create space in traffic and had the composure to find and hit a target. That's unusual in the womans game and puts her up with someone like Brazill - just a first impression.

Umpiring was horrific both ways. I thought it was inconsistent with similar incidents adjudicated completely differently. Three of our girls get slung in tackles no free then Lambert gets pinged for the same action. We got rolled with the decisions early, then were lucky with (some of the) 50m penalties, then we had the rub if it in the last. It needs to be addressed if the game is to be professional.

Shattered for Bri and the club. I reckon it's the knee and that could be our season cooked she's that important.

Thanks Maggie5 for letting me know about the stream on the app.
Lambert did a couple of really nice things but I wouldn’t have had that in her top ten games over her career, thought she went in and out of it. Rowe best on by a mile for mine, with an acknowledgement to Allen who really kept us in it early.

Lambert did a couple of really nice things but I wouldn’t have had that in her top ten games over her career, thought she went in and out of it. Rowe best on by a mile for mine, with an acknowledgement to Allen who really kept us in it early.

It may not have been in Lamberts best 10 games but it was best on for mine.

Rowe's awesome but fumbles first possession every time. Puts herself and the team under pressure. Very good though.

Thats my read anyway.

Rowe fantastic best game shes played. Lambert solid. Brit ran herself into trouble a bit ,but effort cant be faulted, Tarni had a game she wont have again shes much better than that, who do we inject to cover for Bri. Braz comes back and moves into the backline, could Ruby move into the middle, does she have the tools?
With Allen and Butler back in i feel that could be the move they make. Not sure shes ever played in there though.
We have a easier task hopefully v saints to possibly experiment. Good start pies, gutted for Davey. Footy so unfair at times.

The ruck is a problem..... it was a perfect storm

carlton ruck is exceptional. our rucks were undersized in height and strength and jumping power.
midfield just not accustomed to a losing ruck
our ruck playing against old team in first game
sharni was a driving force last year and her retirement was noticeable.

carlton dominated the centre square and the first few minutes after most centre clearances. I was surprised that we spilt the clearances overall, so we must have been better around the ground. I suspect the numbers were improved by Frederick's rucking in the forward line.

I dont think either of our rucks are tall enough or strong enough. Coupled with the loss of davey, it will be a matter of just trying to stabilise things after each goal and then hope to create goals from the back.

On another point, this high possession, uncontested game is fine when everything clicks. The coach said he was emphasising the need to kick the ball, but it didnt look like it, with the team trying to daisy chain handballs in pressure situations. The 50m penalties were significant, not only to the scoring but relieving the pressure on the girls to execute their skills. The loss of davey will have significant impact on contested ball. This whole area looks a worry in the coming weeks.

Collingwood co-captain Brianna Davey will miss the remainder of the 2022 AFLW season with scans today confirmed a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and tear in her medial collateral ligament (MCL) in her right knee.

The 26-year-old sustained the injury late in the fourth term of yesterday’s 19-point victory over Carlton at Ikon Park.

Davey will undergo her second ACL surgery on the same knee having first injured it in 2018.

The midfielder capped off a career high campaign in 2021 being awarded the joint winner of the AFLW’s Best and Fairest medal. Davey also claimed the club’s best and fairest medal and was named captain of the All-Australian side.

Collingwood’s Head of Women’s Football, Jess Burger, says the entire program is devastated for Davey.

“We are all heartbroken for Bri,” Burger said.

“It’s very hard to see our captain go down with such a cruel injury, let alone someone who is at the top of their game. There is no doubt her injury has been felt not just within our team, but across the entire AFLW community.

“Bri is an incredibly strong, hard-working athlete, she is fiercely determined and cares deeply for her teammates. These attributes will give her great confidence to overcome the upcoming challenge she faces.

“She’s recovered from this injury before and knows what it takes to get herself back to being regarded as one of the competition’s best.

“Once the rawness and reality of the injury sets in, we have no doubt she’ll commence her rehabilitation in the pursuit of reclaiming her on-field best.

“Bri will continue to play a key role in leading this team from the sidelines this season and our entire program will wrap our arms around her during this difficult time.”

Davey will consult with her surgeon later this week.

Huge loss!!!

Definitely up to the likes of Molloy (maybe start/stay in the centre), Brown to step up and rejig forward line.

Chiocco tries her hardest but her disposal constantly lets her down.

Will be interesting how we line up next week against the Saints.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huge loss!!!

Definitely up to the likes of Molloy (maybe start/stay in the centre), Brown to step up and rejig forward line.

Chiocco tries her hardest but her disposal constantly lets her down.

Will be interesting how we line up next week against the Saints.
These are the two names that came front of mind for me too in terms of how we can best cover Davey.

i know she’s only a second year player but Brown needs to step up and really hit every contest hard and play like a true third or fourth midfielder and not a fringe player if we’re going to be any chance this year. If she’s not capable of that, then Molloy into the middle and Newman up forward or Schleicher into the middle and count down the days until Braz returns are the only two solutions that I can see being remotely workable. We lose a lot from making either of those two changes structurally though, such is Ruby and Chloe’s importance.

So we are exposed in the ruck; we’ve lost our captain and best player; we have an outstanding defence, arguably the best in the AFLW; we have good to very good mids; and we have an X factor forward in Molloy who, like a lot of X factor players, can’t do it every week. Is this enough for a flag? Should we have looked harder for a Sharni replacement?

My 2 cents - watching from the telly.

I'm totally wrapped with the AFLW comp and the standards just keep on getting better. No doubt the cobwebs needed to be blown out from both sides (including the umpires) but fitness wise, I think we're looking pretty darn good. Lots of players in many games understandably coming down with cramps in the last quarter but to me it looked like we (as a whole) had plenty in the tank.

I'm gutted for Bri. We all are. If you could pick 3 bad things to potentially derail our season it would be (1) Covid through the Team (2) Bri's out for the season (3) Steve leaving to go on I'm a Celebrity Get Me Outta Here!

We're a very good side. Even for those that naturally hate Collingwood it would be hard pressed to argue that point. My bias is that we're a very, very good side though and it'll be proven sure enough if we are, if we re-group and play as expected. We lost a bona fide champion. But we can be a champion team at season's end (with Bri still being champion on the side lines supporting where she can). There's one thing we can't be drawn into though, and that's doubting we're not a very, very good side without her. If we're not winning there will be a weekly click bait stories on this narrative and if we get drawn into it as a Team and as fans, then it's not doing justice or service to the massive amount of work that's been done over the past couple of years.

Can anyone confirm when Ash Brazill returns? Feb-ish? If there was any arguement where Ash should line up on her return I think we have our answer now.

GO PIES!!!

My 2 cents - watching from the telly.

I'm totally wrapped with the AFLW comp and the standards just keep on getting better. No doubt the cobwebs needed to be blown out from both sides (including the umpires) but fitness wise, I think we're looking pretty darn good. Lots of players in many games understandably coming down with cramps in the last quarter but to me it looked like we (as a whole) had plenty in the tank.

I'm gutted for Bri. We all are. If you could pick 3 bad things to potentially derail our season it would be (1) Covid through the Team (2) Bri's out for the season (3) Steve leaving to go on I'm a Celebrity Get Me Outta Here!

We're a very good side. Even for those that naturally hate Collingwood it would be hard pressed to argue that point. My bias is that we're a very, very good side though and it'll be proven sure enough if we are, if we re-group and play as expected. We lost a bona fide champion. But we can be a champion team at season's end (with Bri still being champion on the side lines supporting where she can). There's one thing we can't be drawn into though, and that's doubting we're not a very, very good side without her. If we're not winning there will be a weekly click bait stories on this narrative and if we get drawn into it as a Team and as fans, then it's not doing justice or service to the massive amount of work that's been done over the past couple of years.

Can anyone confirm when Ash Brazill returns? Feb-ish? If there was any arguement where Ash should line up on her return I think we have our answer now.

GO PIES!!!

Great post. I’ll put a pause on the negativity. I too think we are a very good side and should be contending. Getting trounced in the ruck yesterday was demoralising, and what more is there to lament about Bri?

This is where coach Steve also steps up. I have faith - he’s an excellent coach.

Just read a club update on injuries and Tarni Brown got a concussion in round 1 and will miss this week. Would go some way to explaining her poor game. Hope all is well with her.

Concussions terrify me - they are part of our game but I hate hearing about any player in any team getting concussed.

Just read a club update on injuries and Tarni Brown got a concussion in round 1 and will miss this week. Would go some way to explaining her poor game. Hope all is well with her.

Concussions terrify me - they are part of our game but I hate hearing about any player in any team getting concussed.
That makes sense, she looked miles off the pace, hasnt played another game like it.
Hopefully its not to bad as she played the game out and is more precautionary.
Midfeild is taken some serious hits all of a sudden and its only rd 2, lets hope covid doesnt claim Brit or chops this week.

Re: Tarni, that's the only explanation I can come up with too. Quietest game of her career so far. I even forgot she was playing for a decent while of the game.
But that's another midfielder we need to replace, two. Do we even have 2 extra midfielders? lol Unless we push Chloe into the midfield and use another forward.

The game was pretty decent. Apart from Bri's injury. Minutes before the end. If only she was on the bench... :/

Umpiring was pretty even both ways. Good and bad.

We should have been 5 goals up prior to the 50's, so Carlton should count themselves lucky it was not a worse result than it was. We dominated, but couldn't convert the scores. I blame that end of the ground. There seemed to be one scoring end... and one, not so much haha.

Jamee Lambert seemed to be back to her best. She isn't have the greatest of 2021 seasons in terms of form. At least not to her usual standard, but she came out firing out from the blocks last weekend. Hopefully she can keep it up, because she are gonna need her very best to attempt to fill the void Bri will have left.
How ever did we survive without Bri pre-2019? lol

Probably the best game I had seen of Jordyn Allen. And Ruby does what Ruby does. Continuing where she left off in 2021.

bring on the saints. Selection should be interesting.

This week I think we should bring Porter in for Davey/Brown so that we can move O'Dea into the midfield.

Maybe the second in could be Newman. I'd like to see Verlado get a chance but hard to fit her in with Livingstone, Allen, Schleicher, Alexander, Molloy and Frederick already in the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back