Rhys Stanley + pick 59 (Jordan Cunico) to Geelong for pick 21 (Hugh Goddard)

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone would have to be willing to pay it though. None have established themselves enough to demand pick 21. All could be worth more after a good season. Stanley always had potential but we can't know how much we gained for a few years. If Goddard ends up a gun it will be an amazing trade, especially if Rhys never meets expectation. If Rhys is a gun and Goddard doesn't make it not so great.

Ironically we invested quite a bit in terms of draft picks on Lee and Hickey (yes we got picks in return).

Someone would have to be willing to pay it though. None have established themselves enough to demand pick 21. All could be worth more after a good season. Stanley always had potential but we can't know how much we gained for a few years. If Goddard ends up a gun it will be an amazing trade, especially if Rhys never meets expectation. If Rhys is a gun and Goddard doesn't make it not so great.
I agree with Big Mart - I prefer his trade suggestion - was always against the Stanley trade - but I think gringo is right that was probably not going to happen - much as I dislike seeing Stanley at Geelong if given the option of a straight swap Stanley for Goddard - I would definitely stick with Goddard

I agree with Big Mart - I prefer his trade suggestion - was always against the Stanley trade - but I think gringo is right that was probably not going to happen - much as I dislike seeing Stanley at Geelong if given the option of a straight swap Stanley for Goddard - I would definitely stick with Goddard

It was actually lucky last year because we lost Hickey and Pierce for long periods. We had to play Billy and if he'd gone down Stanley and Holmes would have had to do it all.

I think the policy was fine, I think the person we chose was wrong.

I would have let go of Hickey/Longer and Lee for pick 21 and a pick swap.
We have too many ruckmen only... And as much as people try to convince themselves otherwise... The are useless fwd.
the sign of this is Piercd still in the Sandy twos

Why would Geelong want any of those players. If they wanted hickey they would have bid for him last time

Just because something is for sale doesn't mean someone buys it

Are you saying Hickey is no good?

Perhaps they didn't have a pick as high as us (13) to give up last time.

Perhaps Ruck wasn't a concern last time?

Who do you rate higher Hickey or Stanley.

I would have covered both there needs with a package of two of the following 4 players whom I skeptical about and we have surplus
Hickey, Longer, Lee, White.

Would have kept the dual purpose and more skilful but underperforming Stanley

My opinion

Why do we have 4 ruckmen at the club all at about the same level of ability and development??

Just going to enjoy the win

Ruckmen who are one position players.
And Stanley is still a zero position player, not good enough to ruck or play permanent key forward. You'd think this thread would get bumped after he played a ripper game, not after another meh performance. Maybe at the end of the season if Stanley has shown some improvement we can reassess the trade but as it stands we're still streets ahead.

Perhaps Mowman post that on the game review thread?

This one is about Stanley

Or just enjoy the win, rather than telling everyone about it... With the motive of suggesting others are not

Perhaps Mowman post that on the game review thread?

This one is about Stanley

Or just enjoy the win, rather than telling everyone about it... With the motive of suggesting others are not
What's your point ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's your point ?

He doesn't have one, just prides himself on being controversial and contrary to all discussions on here. Logic or common sense not to be found.

I'm happy we traded Stanley and not one of the ruckmen. If one of the ruckmen were to go down Stanley isn't up to playing the number 1 ruck role IMO. Pierce and Holmes aren't AFL material yet and I'm not sure they will be. Most if the better clubs have two ruckmen that are afl standard, and one regularly misses out.

He showed signs of becoming a good forward but rarely strung 2 good games together. We are improving our forward line at the moment and I see Bruce, Membrey and McCartin as our forward line of the future, the fact that we could trade Stanley out and get a key backmen with that draft pick was great for our structure.

Are you saying Hickey is no good?

Perhaps they didn't have a pick as high as us (13) to give up last time.

Perhaps Ruck wasn't a concern last time?

Who do you rate higher Hickey or Stanley.

I would have covered both there needs with a package of two of the following 4 players whom I skeptical about and we have surplus
Hickey, Longer, Lee, White.

Would have kept the dual purpose and more skilful but underperforming Stanley

My opinion

Why do we have 4 ruckmen at the club all at about the same level of ability and development??

i think hickey is a good ruck prospect who started to demonstrate what he is capable of before he got injured. his game against wce, against cox and nic nat was very good and he was carrying an injury then. we need to nurse him through the knee issues

at the time i thought we gave up more than we planned for him, but due to the ruck rule change and the pies interest, the price went up

personally i rate hickey higher. who has the most potential, stanley. but stanley is now at the age where potential goes out the window. we now know what he is capable of actually producing and what he will likely produce in the future.

the problem stanley faces is that he really isnt a top level ruckman. he wont be in the top 5 ruckman in the comp ever. so people then say well lets try him as a fwd but the problem is he's like nic nat without actually impacting the play in the big moments or doing those things that make you sit back and go wow!!! he just doesnt know how to play fwd. doesnt have the endurance. his pace off the mark gets lost after 15 mins because he tires. doesnt know the leading patterns and loses confidence very quickly

essentially in a nut shell, stanley is neither a ruckman nor a fwd and will always deliver up performances somewhere between lost/sub par to GOP at best

packaging up more players does eff all. its a big footy dream. i could package up eleven more spuds with hickey, lee, white and longer and the currency will not increase. clubs are not interested in volume of players, they are interested in quality and potency.

geelong have no need for lee, hickey, white or longer. they had clarke already and they were seduced by the ruck potential of stanley

to answer the last question quickly: because we building to 2018. you need more than one ruckman. ruckman also have currency at the trade table. clubs rarely draft them but they will trade for them and give up something significant. we were basically investing in our future and also the possibility of future picks

I VERY much doubt we will be trading on Hickey or Longer. Gardiner going down in the 2010 draw basically ruined any chance the following week because we were forced to play a 30 gamer in Macevoy vs Darren Jolly the following week.

Even if they cant get on the park at the same time we NEED that ruck depth just in case.

I VERY much doubt we will be trading on Hickey or Longer. Gardiner going down in the 2010 draw basically ruined any chance the following week because we were forced to play a 30 gamer in Macevoy vs Darren Jolly the following week.

Even if they cant get on the park at the same time we NEED that ruck depth just in case.

Agreed, at least not until one of Peirce or Holmes show that are at AFL level, which they are a long way off at the moment.

Agreed with the below:

Agreed, at least not until one of Peirce or Holmes show that are at AFL level, which they are a long way off at the moment.

If Hickey and Longer develop into the players that we are hoping they become, then it would be foolish to keep one as depth; far too valuable to do so. If we can balance the progression of these two with the development of Holmes/Pierce, then we could time it well enough so that one of the former two are at their peak value for a trade when one or both of the latter two are ready to act as the immediate back up option.

You can never have enough bigs. Hickey can play anywhere, Longer is a crashing ball mid 1980's type ruck only, Pierce is a baby with massive upside whilst Holmes is a project that most probably will give us. 5 out of 10 ruck as well as a feel good story for us to sell to supporters and the greater AFL in general.

I got a message of a friend at quarter time (he had kicked 2 goals IIRC) saying Stanley looks better in a good team. But then he went and did what he always does and largely went missing. He will forever be a tease. Stanley leaving has opened up the spot for Bruce and well, the return speaks for itself really. I liked Rhys, but trading him got us more than keeping him ever would have.

The meaning of potential:
having or showing the capacity to develop into something in the future.

We (St Kilda) thought he had reached his ceiling and will forever be a tease, Saturday once again showed that he will probably be remembered as nearly having it all but never producing.

As for Geelong being a better side than St Kilda, has anyone seen today's ladder?

I think us getting pick 21 for Stanley was a steal.
Geelong are trying to top up there list as they go and to use a high pick like 21 on a guy that was inconsistent could hurt them in the future if it doesn't work & they continue using picks that way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back