Review Round 5, 2024 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaches votes:

Cameron Rayner (BL)
Josh Dunkley (BL)
Hugh McCluggage (BL)
Ryan Lester (BL)
Max Gawn (MELB)
Harris Andrews (BL)
No real argument I suppose except I thought Gawn was the dominant player on the ground across 4 quarters.

But when you've lost by 3/4 time so conclusively it's hard to measure your impact that way.

It's amazing when you meet people in the public eye and you can see them mentally trying to place you . Because you know who they are they're wondering if they should know who you are.

I do that - I have such a rubbish memory (early dementia?) that I might recognize you but have no idea who you are.

Just another of my elite athlete skills. Only one missing is the actual performance 😂😂

No real argument I suppose except I thought Gawn was the dominant player on the ground across 4 quarters.

But when you've lost by 3/4 time so conclusively it's hard to measure your impact that way.

I have him clear BOG.

And his own coach did not rate him. Tinfoil hats time.

Coaches votes:

Cameron Rayner (BL)
Josh Dunkley (BL)
Hugh McCluggage (BL)
Ryan Lester (BL)
Max Gawn (MELB)
Harris Andrews (BL)
4 votes for the slowest guy ever to play the game apparently.

Had my doubts about Lester until mid last year, he plays the 3rd tall/small role so well.

Covers a multitude of roles in the backline and a very calm presence which can’t be underestimated with McKenna/Coleman out

Watching the replay last night reminded me just how good Jaspa Fletcher could be when he's ready for the midfield. He's so good when he gets involved - easier said than done when playing wing. Very lucky to have him and Will alongside Levi as our three top tier midfield options of the future.

Watching the replay last night reminded me just how good Jaspa Fletcher could be when he's ready for the midfield. He's so good when he gets involved - easier said than done when playing wing. Very lucky to have him and Will alongside Levi as our three top tier midfield options of the future.
I'd be in no rush to move him inside. I think having a wingman who can play that role, but is adept through traffic is a handy piece to play with.

I'd be in no rush to move him inside. I think having a wingman who can play that role, but is adept through traffic is a handy piece to play with.

Oh absolutely, he won't move on the ball any time soon & Levi likely spends a year at half forward. Hence 'of the future' ;)

Agree
Wing has been our big issue until Jasper came into that position round 14 in 2023.
Berry our only winger at that stage. More to the point our only player that played a good wing role and Berry adapted well.
Ah Chee getting his wish to play fwd/wing from round 16 that year. Injury year for Ah Chee as his first game was round 10.

I still think we need to find another wing or two before they consider a change for young Jasper.
Wing a great position for a young player that shows both good outside and inside abilities.

Gawn’s midfield was outplayed so badly in the first quarter he resulted to snatching the ball out half the time to create the clearances himself. He had so many hitouts to advantage his team just never backed up his effort. Of course we know nowadays that hitouts and hitouts to advantage don’t correlate to a team winning clearances at all really. I wonder whether some coaches take that into consideration when voting.

Agree
Wing has been our big issue until Jasper came into that position round 14 in 2023.
Berry our only winger at that stage. More to the point our only player that played a good wing role and Berry adapted well.
Ah Chee getting his wish to play fwd/wing from round 16 that year. Injury year for Ah Chee as his first game was round 10.

I still think we need to find another wing or two before they consider a change for young Jasper.
Wing a great position for a young player that shows both good outside and inside abilities.

Yes. I was so happy when we stopped playing Wilmot on the wing since he just thrives running off halfback. It sucks that Richy had to come out but our team structure thrived from it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4 votes for the slowest guy ever to play the game apparently.

Had my doubts about Lester until mid last year, he plays the 3rd tall/small role so well.

Covers a multitude of roles in the backline and a very calm presence which can’t be underestimated with McKenna/Coleman out

I'm absolutely delighted to see Frog get coaches votes.

He deserved that so much

Gawn’s midfield was outplayed so badly in the first quarter he resulted to snatching the ball out half the time to create the clearances himself. He had so many hitouts to advantage his team just never backed up his effort. Of course we know nowadays that hitouts and hitouts to advantage don’t correlate to a team winning clearances at all really. I wonder whether some coaches take that into consideration when voting.
He hit it out to advantage most times but they just never had the legs to run on to it and we responded very well defensively by having someone coming the other way to either intercept or tackle if they got hold of it.

He was clearly frustrated but kept at it. If he was rucking for us it would've been a complete demolition.

Back