Autopsy Round 7, 2024: Port Adelaide v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Wanganeen Milera is one of our best usually. He's had a bad couple of weeks and unusually messy. I think we'll finish bottom 6 this season. It's getting away from us and our momentum is spluttering. Best thing for us.

Lost 4 of 5 games by 11 points or less with 1/3 of our best 22 injured. Some playing are underdone. Umpiring has been shocking against in tight finishes. I can't see how you can justify saying we will finish bottom 6.

West coast will finish higher than us.
Fine. So maybe we can get the next Harley Reid.

Missed most of the game, was there something about a Higgins tackle on Allie Allir? Is he in trouble?

We lost by ten points.
..feels like 60.
How we missed Henry and Wood and Crouch.

They almost screwed themselves with poor kicking.
Then they got injury.

The umpires helped them.

Byrnes and Stocker try and are real goers. That is all I can say about em tonight.

We missed some gettable shots too.

That three goal burst in the third was nice.

Everything else about Port Adelaide just stinks.

I think I am starting to hate Port Adelaide (and fans) as much any team I’ve ever hated. Getting close to Geelong levels.

Our skills were pretty woeful and the entry inside 50 wasn't exactly elite, however not many teams teams could win with Caminiti, Sharman and Membrey as their key forwards. All three look absolutely useless. If I have to see Caminiti having a sook one more time after getting easily out marked by his opponent I might lose it. Sharman looks far better playing in defence, looks lost up forward. And Membrey is a shadow of his old self, dropped so many easy marks tonight. There is literally no way Hayes can be any worse than Hammer and Sharman, plus he can offer a legitimate second option in the ruck.

A few more things to get off my chest. Give Owens way more time in the guts, Phillipou is offering nothing in there at this stage of his career. Byrnes is a butcher. Wilson a shining light, looked great. Howard is horrible. Stop being so cute taking the ball out of defence. Sinclair looked our most dangerous forward late, worth a look as a high half forward going forward as none of our other forwards look very dangerous when the ball hits the ground. Poor game from Steele.

Victorian media don't give a s**t about the second class citizen clubs like us

If this was Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon or Carlton they would care.
Already seen the "Higgins will get nothing because Victoria" on social media, like we haven't been the 'time to set an example' club for a long time

So…

We’re playing one of the top sides on their home ground. One where we have a very poor record. And in a week where they’ve had a bit of a blowtorch applied to them.

We are still hobbled by injuries to key players.

Virtually no one, including the folks on here, give us a chance.

We, naturally, lose. Not by much. And with the umpires being rather helpful to the home side.

And yet the melts on here are still quite epic.

Interesting

RXA6lrX.gif

We don't have that many injuries. Crouch, Wood, Henry is about it. King has missed a couple.

The rest are borderline 22.

References to flat earth just make you look utterly ridiculous and expose how seriously offended you are at any suggestion Lyon is not performing.

The "industry knows". Thanks for the laugh, as if you have any idea what the industry knows🤣

I have eyes, and we sure AF are not fitter than other teams this year.
Not that many injuries true - but they are all top end of our talent base plus add Webster, who we now know was a bigger loss than we thought - you can add Butler who has missed a preseason with ankle injuries and Sincs the same with a calf who has struggled to get going to the same level - all of the above really hurts us as our high end list is ordinary at best.

We have a few who are just not afl standard if you plan on playing finals. We also have several young guys who are still learning the ropes but seriously this just wasn’t good enough from the saints. Early in this game the number of handballs that missed the mark was crazy along with guys coming past calling for the ball and running straight into a port player. Very low football IQ stuff imo.

Sinclair was good lifted late and looks to be running back into form. Wilson was very good his run is incredible and he’s a massive plus. Hastie showed enough to indicate he’ll be a player for us as well, he was burnt off by Burgoyne late but he’s quick and was having a night out.

Surely we’ll look a lot better when we get a few players back but with finals seemingly out of reach I’d keep playing the kids, rotate them through but keep playing them.
To your first point. Players tried to execute the game plan as drilled into them this week.thats a good thing they showed dedication to it. Sometimes they zigged when they should have zagged but that'll come with time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lost 4 of 5 games by 11 points or less with 1/3 of our best 22 injured. Some playing are underdone. Umpiring has been shocking against in tight finishes. I can't see how you can justify saying we will finish bottom 6.

Because we aren't winning matches. We have 4 or 5 easier games and then need to find a way to win another 7 games if we win all of those to play finals. My guess is we win 7 to 9 games for the year. Bottom 4 last year.

We were crap and so were Port. They could have made it non-competitive if they kicked straight but they didn't, and the influence of the umpires ended up winning them the game. I'll very rarely say that umpiring decided the result of a game but that's absolutely what happened in this instance. They were looking for Port free kicks all night and looking for reasons to not pay St Kilda free kicks. Perfect example was an instance in the middle when a Port player over ran the ball and fell over while NWM was being held while trying to get to the ball. They pay a free, all players assume it's going to Nas and it turns out the umps paid it to the guy who lost his balance and fell over off.

Membrey getting pinged for standing in the drop zone of a marking contest, looking at the ball and jumping up to get it was also hilarious.

So…

We’re playing one of the top sides on their home ground. One where we have a very poor record. And in a week where they’ve had a bit of a blowtorch applied to them.

We are still hobbled by injuries to key players.

Virtually no one, including the folks on here, give us a chance.

We, naturally, lose. Not by much. And with the umpires being rather helpful to the home side.

And yet the melts on here are still quite epic.

Interesting

RXA6lrX.gif
We played horribly. If we lost by 10 and played great it would be a different story. Shocking clangers, uninspired game plan, just an overall bad spectacle.

Fine. So maybe we can get the next Harley Reid.

Missed most of the game, was there something about a Higgins tackle on Allie Allir? Is he in trouble?
Shouldn't, Aliir tried a mid tackle flying crane kick and Glasgow kissed the turf himself but Higgins was tackling him at the time.

Probably be 2 cause the MROs is ****ed.

Easy to blame the list, but nobody thought it was that bad at the start of the year.

Coaching has to take some responsibility. Why is everybody so out of form?

Our structures look dreadful. Looks like a lot of basic mistakes happening around stoppages.

Fitness looks crap this year as well. I was shocked at the Essendon game on particular. We were dead on our feet by the 3rd qrt.

At present we look like a bottom 4 side, the list is not that awful.

Seriously mate, we are playing the 3rd youngest side behind only Norf and Eagles. We won’t have top end talent. Look at port, even with their lack of bench they’ve got players like Butters and JHF who just surge through the middle. Name one player we have that can do that.

No one thought the list was this bad going into rd 1 because we didn’t have 12 players sitting on the sidelines. We have no depth, which shows right now, and we’ve had to cut this list to get it where it needs be rather than sit middle of the table forever.

Already seen the "Higgins will get nothing because Victoria" on social media, like we haven't been the 'time to set an example' club for a long time
Higgins will get the chair because we are a second class club.

Because we aren't winning matches. We have 4 or 5 easier games and then need to find a way to win another 7 games if we win all of those to play finals. My guess is we win 7 to 9 games for the year. Bottom 4 last year.
We’ll be bottom four I think. You can’t compete with anyone half decent when your best case scenario is 10 or 11 goals. North will see us as their grand final next week knowing we’ll keep them in it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back