Rumour Busted Shiel a done deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

I do think it's rather fanciful to suggest that Shiel called Clarkson to let him know he chose Essendon after Hawthorn had pulled out of the Shiel race. But hey, all the ITK Hawthorn posters are telling us it's true, so it must be true right?

Reading the content from some of our posters during the trade period was a bit cringeworthy. Most of the self-proclaimed ITKs turned out to be full of it and tried to stay relevant with vague comments. One bloke even reckoned the AFL were trying to get Shiel to Carlton and it will be a huge scandal lol.

I saw it as Shiel having three offers on the table from Essendon, Carlton and Hawthorn, and chose Essendon. Easy as that

Reading the content from some of our posters during the trade period was a bit cringeworthy. Most of the self-proclaimed ITKs turned out to be full of it and tried to stay relevant with vague comments. One bloke even reckoned the AFL were trying to get Shiel to Carlton and it will be a huge scandal lol.

I saw it as Shiel having three offers on the table from Essendon, Carlton and Hawthorn, and chose Essendon. Easy as that
You must be popular on the Hawthorn board.

By all (well many) accounts; Wingard has long been a favourite of Clarkson's. I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that both Shiel and Wingard were on the wanted list for them, and when Shiel announced the Essendon move, Wingard became the main target.
Any competent list team would have multiple irons in the fire given most won't come off - and if multiple do, you scramble and make it work, as Hawthorn did previously when they had to hustle up the currency to secure O'Meara on top of Mitchell.

To be fair he deliberated long and hard over those three clubs and ultimately chose Essendon.
Then it was over to Dodoro to make it work and as we know, that went down to the wire. There is no doubt the Hawks would have entered into the same negotiations with GWS just like Dodoro, if in fact Dylan had made a regrettable error in choosing Hawthorn.

A non-deluded view on this from a Hawks supporter - wow!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

kris-jenner-crashes-rolls-royce-dawn-gets-a-new-one-the-next-day-110191_1.jpg

Has he got above 50% DE yet this year.

What was it again? 2 sub 10 picks one being next years which is sitting about 3-4 at the minute

DE can be a bit misleading as it can be compromised by the situation you're in when you dispose of the ball. If you're under pressures in the midfield / clearances then your DE will be lower, if you're running loose on a HBF then DE should be a lot higher. As a snapshot comparison looking at clangers as a % of total disposals (career) Shiel runs at 11.9%, Tom Mitchell 11.5%, Sam Mitchell 11.4%. Outside runners like Sidebottom runs at 9.6%. Yes he missed a few targets he should have hit on Friday night, but the stats above show he compares ok to 'others' renowned for their disposal effectiveness.

He's been brilliant for us, He's unstoppable when he's got a clear run at it, So powerful, Imagine when he starts to hit targets and kick those goals.

I'm so rapt with him.
Rapt we went hard for Shiel, paid fair value and he's ours for a long time.
You can see why the Hawks went hard for him too, unfortunately they had to settle for the expensive Chad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back