Retired Simon Black (1997-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

In his defense, if i was on the field and my opposition told me to do something, i probably wouldn't either. You wouldn't know if he was pullin ya leg or not.

:p I was thinking that, but it's Blacky. When would Blacky lie to you.

AFL draft hits and misses
November 05, 2012
Ben Hocking

Simon Black (No.31, 1997). What more could you want with a pick in the early 30s? Black is a Brownlow Medallist, Norm Smith Medallist, triple premiership player, three-time All Australian and one of the most respected figures in the game. He was also an instrumental cog in the machine that won three-straight premierships between 2001 and 2003, and will most likely retire next year as one of the club's greats.

Simon Black 2012 End of Season Review
by POBT

2011 review

Senior games: 18
Goals: 5
Dreamteam: 1472
Supercoach: 1673
Club Best and Fairest votes: 22 (10th)

6693873769_6b398a2f2b_z.jpg

Image (2012 preseason) courtesy of Mr Ripper

Simon Black, the most decorated player in footy, remains one of Brisbane’s most important players. Despite Voss’s (somewhat successful) efforts over the past 2 years to reduce the club’s reliance on the ageing star, the fact remains that Black is still our best extraction mid, one of our best tacklers and uses the footy better than most of his younger teammates. One day he’ll be gone from footy and we’ll be poorer for it. Until then, it remains a delight to watch this unassuming, humble champion ply his trade.

While 2011 was statistically a better year, it is my view that Black showed superior form in 2012. As the young midfield cohort developed, he spent less time playing as the number one midfielder. A move to a more regular spot on a half forward flank paid dividends, as Black was able to influence games forward of centre, without the same physical wear and tear. As a result of that slightly less intense role, he coped quite well with the pace of the game, which was not the case at times in 2011. Further, we saw fewer of the critical errors that had begun to plague his footy last season.

Black started the season with a bang, producing one of the dominant midfield performances of the year against Melbourne and garnering 3 Brownlow votes in the process. A broken hand suffered in round 2 was expected to sideline him for a month but instead only kept him out of the game for a week. He returned in time for the first Q-Clash and racked up a lazy 30 touches. The following week saw Black notch up his 300th senior game. It is a remarkable achievement for any footballer, particularly one who has spent his entire career getting belted at the bottom of packs, winning the hard ball for his teammates.

Black suffered with knee issues through the middle part of the season, reportedly caused by the high risk activity of nursing his baby son. He was subbed out of one game before missing games on either side of the bye. His game time was carefully managed for the rest of the year, most notably when Voss caused shockwaves by naming Black as the sub against Richmond. In that game, Black came on and duly turned the game around, giving the Lions a chance to snatch an unlikely victory before the Tigers skipped away late. He is still a game changer.

It will remain a point of interest to see how Voss uses Black in the future. It is unsustainable to have him spend significant parts of games on ball. Physically, his body won’t handle it and the side needs to have other options. Presumably, Black will continue to play a role across half forward, going into the midfield less often as the likes of Rich, Redden, Rockliff, Raines and Moloney take centre stage. However, Voss may also continue to take advantage of the sub rule to keep his veteran fresh and firing which might allow him to play longer midfield minutes occasionally.

Black has announced that he will continue on in 2013, making it his 16th year at senior level. Any decline in his capabilities apparent in 2011 appears to have stalled. He is competing as well as he has for a couple of years. The ongoing knee issues aside, the body seems to be holding up OK for a 33 year old inside midfielder. While you don’t look any further forward than 12 months at this age in footy, it is not out of the question that Black could run around in 2014. Certainly, he’s not a passenger, finishing in the top 10 of the Merrett-Murray Medal, despite missing 4 games and wearing the subs vest in another two.

2013 should see Black overtake Marcus Ashcroft for the most games played for Brisbane. He needs one Brownlow vote to move into the top 5 of all time vote getters in that award. He continues to rack up the honours and yet, despite this, remains the most humble of champions. Lions fans are most fortunate to have the opportunity to barrack for a bloke like this.

Black enjoys change-up
19 Nov, 2012

For someone like Lions superstar Simon Black, who has endured 15 AFL pre-seasons, the chance to train in a new environment can be invigorating.

Even after being one of the select few to have already experienced high-altitude training last year, Black says he has continued to reap great benefits from a return to Flagstaff, Arizona in 2012.

“I’ve still found it really refreshing this year,” Black told LIONS TV.

“It’s great to get out of Brisbane and do different things from mountain-biking to hiking up the mountain. It’s just a different environment.”

“It’s not often you get to train at an indoor gridiron stadium.”

black_arizona-c.jpg

One more might be enough for Black
December 03, 2012
Greg Davis

SIMON Black says there is every chance that 2013 will be his 16th and final AFL campaign. The Lions legend wants to have no regrets.

From training in the lung-busting high altitude of the snow-capped Arizona to the sweltering Queensland summer, the 33-year-old is determined to be in the best shape possible ahead of what could be his last hurrah.

On a modified training schedule until the new year, Brisbane are slowly but surely getting Black back to peak fitness so the Rolls-Royce midfielder will be purring come Round 1.

"I'm under no illusions that this may well be my last year so I'm just trying to get my body right and into some short of shape so I can play some good footy and really enjoy the year," Black said.

Against Melb he played along the HFF and played well. Does anyone think he will play along the flanks in 2013? If he has less midfield time maybe 2014 is an option for Blacky. I wouldn't rule it out quite yet.

Against Melb he played along the HFF and played well. Does anyone think he will play along the flanks in 2013? If he has less midfield time maybe 2014 is an option for Blacky. I wouldn't rule it out quite yet.

They'll probably do that to help him get through the season, but I'm not sure it would add another year onto his contract. Becoming a perma-sub however...

I would love to see how Black would go loose across half back!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is an excellent idea...if we were terrible next year and the ball is in our defensive 50 for most of the game.
That's why I said I would love to see the results. I don't believe 100% it would be a success but I think it could work at times.

Agree. I am unable to imagine Blacky playing across half back. Lets be brutal here, he does not have the kick to justify a role across half back.

It's certainly not a bad thing either IMO. He's much more value to us as an extractor or playing as a forward, as he will always attract attention from the opposition.

This story just came up on the Lions website:

Veteran Brisbane Lions midfielder Simon Black has today successfully undergone a minor knee clean-up.

Lions General Manager, Football Operations, Dean Warren, said the decision to book Black in for a clean-up was made to ensure his availability for the opening round of the Club’s 2013 campaign.

“Simon’s knee issue from last season settled during the break, however, when the boys returned for pre-season training, he felt a minor irritation return,” Warren said.

“To ensure that Simon was right for the commencement of the 2013 season it was decided that we get it cleaned up immediately.”

Why wouldn't this be done earlier?....we all know he had knee troubles, surely they could've booked him in earlier to get maximum healing time into it..

..anyway, it has been done now thank goodness...can only hope he heals well..

It seems inevitable that wherever he plays he will not play full games each week. They realised last year that he isn't suited to the sub role, so presumably he will start when fit and be subbed out barring injuries. I would see him playing midfield but spending some time forward and increasing time on the bench.

It seems inevitable that wherever he plays he will not play full games each week. They realised last year that he isn't suited to the sub role, so presumably he will start when fit and be subbed out barring injuries. I would see him playing midfield but spending some time forward and increasing time on the bench.

The one game I remember him coming off the bench he dominated - I'd rate that as a success...

The one game I remember him coming off the bench he dominated - I'd rate that as a success...

Yah, he got 16 touches in just over a quarter didn't he?

Only negative about it was that the media decided to be insufferable jerks to Voss about it.

Yah, he got 16 touches in just over a quarter didn't he?

Only negative about it was that the media decided to be insufferable jerks to Voss about it.

Certainly did. And didn't the media carry on about it too with crap like he would have got 50 if he played the whole game. Coming on in the last qtr fresh is a massive advantage especially for someone like Black where he is used to getting a lot of the ball regardless. Just allows him that bit extra time.

Personally I would rather see him start as the sub every 4th - 5th game instead of missing completely every say 7th game or so. Much better outcome

Black racing the clock to be fit
December 17, 2012
Damien Stannard

SIMON Black is no certainty to play in the Brisbane Lions' season opening AFL clash with the Western Bulldogs.

The champion midfielder had clean-out surgery last week on his knee which had become irritated during the early stages of pre-season training.Initial predictions were for a training comeback by the end of January and a cameo appearance during the NAB Cup.

But coach Michael Voss said there is little margin for error and the former skipper could be in a race against time and his ageing body to be ready by Round 1 on March 31.

571889-lions-pre-season.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back