Sorry Buku Khamis

Remove this Banner Ad

Still not convinced, I'm of the opinion he was not good against Melbourne (had plenty of friends though), and got the "luxury" (all relative, of course) of a first-gamer in a side that never really got the ball into promising positions for their forwards.

Time will tell and I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong, but with potential matchups coming of Cameron, Langford and Membrey / Owens coming up I feel we'll find out soon enough.

Still not convinced, I'm of the opinion he was not good against Melbourne (had plenty of friends though), and got the "luxury" (all relative, of course) of a first-gamer in a side that never really got the ball into promising positions for their forwards.

Time will tell and I'd love nothing more than to be proven wrong, but with potential matchups coming of Cameron, Langford and Membrey / Owens coming up I feel we'll find out soon enough.
Buku isn't a KPD though, so in a perfect world where Jones and hopefully JOD or Keath are playing, he won't be playing on Cameron, Langford or the Membreys of the world.

Buku's best position in my opinion will be when he's able to rely on two other blokes to do the work (Collingwood did it well last year with Howe and one of Murphy/Moore looking after the opposition key forwards, whilst the other was able to branch off and intercept).

Per the above he is a 3rd tall/interceptor, he’s a solid marker of the ball. He was a little bit thrown to the wolves having to play on Brown in round 1, undersized & underweight but at least he fought.

All good to point out he played on a first gamer, but don’t forget he’s only played about 10 games himself and only a few down back. Kind of worrying if we have him & JOD both in the side back there, but if they both come on quickly, pphhwwoooaaarrrrr

He played on a first gamer who had much enthusiasm but all the game sense of somebody who was tripping' balls or had never seen the game before.

Khamis was much improved on last weeks game (yeah, I know), but lets be honest aside from a short period late in the 3rd when GC got a bit of a run-on. It was a pretty easy assignment given GC made our defenders look like Tom Stewart with their bulldogs like ability to kick it to the Stewarts advantage.

His problem is going to be when JO'D returns and they is paired in the KPD posts with Jones and he reverts to his natural role of 3rd tall. But this places him amongst the likes of Richards, JJ, Dale, Bramble for one of the 4 remaining slots in defence. All of whom are much more natural attacking defenders. I just can't see us ever rolling with Jones. JO'D and Khamis is the same side. However that might happen as soon as this week. So yeah...

He currently has an opportunity for an extended run of games due to the injury of Coffield and what appears to be a conservative handling of JO'D concussion. In my view, unless he has an outstanding run during this period and forces one of the medium defenders out of the squad, he will be the one to make way for JO'D and he will go back to being next in line for a slot in defence. Having said that he's moved ahead of Keath, Gardner and Duryea in my pecking order.

He played on a first gamer who had much enthusiasm but all the game sense of somebody who was tripping' balls or had never seen the game before.

Khamis was much improved on last weeks game (yeah, I know), but lets be honest aside from a short period late in the 3rd when GC got a bit of a run-on. It was a pretty easy assignment given GC made our defenders look like Tom Stewart with their bulldogs like ability to kick it to the Stewarts advantage.

His problem is going to be when JO'D returns and they is paired in the KPD posts with Jones and he reverts to his natural role of 3rd tall. But this places him amongst the likes of Richards, JJ, Dale, Bramble for one of the 4 remaining slots in defence. All of whom are much more natural attacking defenders. I just can't see us ever rolling with Jones. JO'D and Khamis is the same side. However that might happen as soon as this week. So yeah...

He currently has an opportunity for an extended run of games due to the injury of Coffield and what appears to be a conservative handling of JO'D concussion. In my view, unless he has an outstanding run during this period and forces one of the medium defenders out of the squad, he will be the one to make way for JO'D and he will go back to being next in line for a slot in defence. Having said that he's moved ahead of Keath, Gardner and Duryea in my pecking order.
I can. I can't see us ever using Gardner or Keath as the 3rd and Coffield needs to get his body right. JOD gets the 2nd KPD spot almost by default (as promising as he is).

Until Buss starts banging the door down it's Buks' spot to lose.

Imagine if Baku or Buka applied for the 20th licence to balance out Tasmania!
Surely they'd chase Buku just for the alliteration potential?
"Baku's Buku..."
"Buku bucks Bulldogs for big bucks with Buka..."
I think your on to something here Geoff. It would be a coup though. Just need to get Simitivi "rambo" Ra buka as club president. I've checked his references and they are good. Throw in sambuka liquor as major sponsor and anything becomes possible. :smirk:
The team could be called the Buka Buccaneers. Aye Aye Geoff .

" Under a black flag we sail and the sea will become our empire "

We play 7 defenders so he’s not fighting with those 4 for a spot alongside Jones & JOD. 3rd tall is a pretty tried and true position and one that’s been a staple of Bevo sides since the day he walked in. I’d be shocked if we don’t play the 3 of them as soon as JOD is ready.

Per the above he is a 3rd tall/interceptor, he’s a solid marker of the ball. He was a little bit thrown to the wolves having to play on Brown in round 1, undersized & underweight but at least he fought.

All good to point out he played on a first gamer, but don’t forget he’s only played about 10 games himself and only a few down back. Kind of worrying if we have him & JOD both in the side back there, but if they both come on quickly, pphhwwoooaaarrrrr
My memory’s pretty hazy now after finishing the day with quite a few beers, but he would have spent significant time on Casboult too so I don’t even think it’s really fair for people to say it was only a first gamer. I noticed Williams on Walter a lot when he went back.

But yeah agreed, he’s a third tall, he’s battled undersized quite impressively but his true value will come through when he has two big guys alongside him wrestling the talls and he can work off his opponent to chop them out. That’s basically his whole game, nothing more nothing less, and it’s tough to do that when you’re playing 8cm above your height!

Don’t forget to take in Beirut! Here’s the starting eleven for Lebanon against the Socceroos tonight:
Lebanon M Matar; Nassar, Khamis, Sharafeddine, Shour, Chaitou; Maatouk, Tneich, N Matar, Jradi; Bugiel

And yes, he’s a central defender.
Quite a versatile chap.

Is there a potential AFL audience there?

Maybe do a Port, and play an 'away' game there as the 'home' team?! 😄
Apparently Baku Olympic Stadium can hold 70,000 spectators (this is a genuine pic of it).

images

Did you know there is a city called khamis Mushayt in Saudia Arabia? Surely they should be front runners in the queue?
I learnt tonight that Khamis means Thursday. Also isn't the word queue just the letter Q with 4 silent letters ? 🤔Look I think I better go to bed now :sleepsymbol:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back