Sprintcars

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Not sure if anyone else is interested in sprintcars but they are my first love in Motorsport.
We are right in the middle of the prime part of the season for Australian sprintcars.
With 10 high quality Americans coming/come over for the next month/3 weeks.
Went to Murray bridge on the 27/28th and it was 2 high quality nights.
Going to the king of wings in mount Gambier on the 18th and follow that up with 3 nights of the classic in Warrnambool.
Can’t wait.
Should be over 100 cars again nominated for the classic and usually 60 odd at Mt G. IMG_3667.jpeg

Last edited:
I read Warrnambool are having issues with their surface, hopefully it's OK with this big event on.
They changed it before last year and it’s too fast, there’s also no in between, between slick and tacky.
They’ve dug up the concrete pole line and widened the track by 4m and made it less banked to slow it down in the corners to promote more passing.
The clay won’t be changed until after January or the season.

The surface at Premier is a joke.
8 stops and 9 cars out in 24 laps of what is the biggest race in the country isn't good enough.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah they are going to do something about it after the season, they tried but having to do 2 x track preps on a feature night isn’t what you want.
They shouldn’t take 90 cars onto the 3rd night either, cut it back to the top 60 or so, which would get rid of the E and F mains.

Yeah they are going to do something about it after the season, they tried but having to do 2 x track preps on a feature night isn’t what you want.
They shouldn’t take 90 cars onto the 3rd night either, cut it back to the top 60 or so, which would get rid of the E and F mains.
I've got family who have a bit to do with Premier and they know that the track isn't great. But it's not easy just to find a literal tonne of clay.

Contrary to that, the track was actually pretty decent for Aus Titles. Up until the rain hit anyway.

They need to get it right, it's a huge race and it's a big event that brings a lot of tourists to this part of the world.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

i feel like the interest has dropped off alot since the 90s? Was massive in Warrnambool back in the day and not just for the classic either. Still a good showing but it's mainly travellers not locals I would say. Hamilton keep cancelling their meets. Been wanting to go.

i feel like the interest has dropped off alot since the 90s? Was massive in Warrnambool back in the day and not just for the classic either. Still a good showing but it's mainly travellers not locals I would say. Hamilton keep cancelling their meets. Been wanting to go.
I think it’s as big as it’s ever been.
Certainly at Warrnambool it is.
Car counts are through the roof for the classic.

I think it’s as big as it’s ever been.
Certainly at Warrnambool it is.
Car counts are through the roof for the classic.
As big as ever with the local population? I think they'll always sell out the speedway because it's a small venue and the drivers, teams and the local radio do a good job of promotion with it this time of year. I just think the public interest in it is not there compared to 20 30 years ago. Its a boutique sport. But atleast it's still running

As big as ever with the local population? I think they'll always sell out the speedway because it's a small venue and the drivers, teams and the local radio do a good job of promotion with it this time of year. I just think the public interest in it is not there compared to 20 30 years ago. Its a boutique sport. But atleast it's still running
I’d have to disagree, I went Adelaide people travelled from all over and a lot stayed for the Australian title the following week.
WA is going gang busters with the motorplex.
Certainly not to the V8 supercars level of interest but the interest is there.
I believe channel 7 are extremely happy with the viewers on 7mate for the title.

I’d have to disagree, I went Adelaide people travelled from all over and a lot stayed for the Australian title the following week.
WA is going gang busters with the motorplex.
Certainly not to the V8 supercars level of interest but the interest is there.
I believe channel 7 are extremely happy with the viewers on 7mate for the title.
I gladly stand corrected. Whilst I don't follow it I do prefer it over supercars or MotoGP. I do want to go to my local track but it's fairly run down. Sadly not alot of funding for it. Would you have a ranking of the stadiums/tracks that you've been to. Been to any in warn, Hamilton, heathmere, mt Gambier, blue ribbon up in Horsham?

I gladly stand corrected. Whilst I don't follow it I do prefer it over supercars or MotoGP. I do want to go to my local track but it's fairly run down. Sadly not alot of funding for it. Would you have a ranking of the stadiums/tracks that you've been to. Been to any in warn, Hamilton, heathmere, mt Gambier, blue ribbon up in Horsham?
I’ve been to Speedway city (my growing up home track now abandoned) Murray bridge, parramatta (gone), Archerfield (gone) motorplex, mount gambier, Knoxville, Jacksonville.
The motorplex in Perth is the no 1 facility.
I liked the length of the speedway park track.
Warrnambool, mount gambier and the motorplex produce the best racing I’ve seen in aus.
Didn’t like parramatta due to not having close walls on the turns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hamilton's meets were cancelled due to weather. They are up and going this season now, but have no sprintcars at all this season which is a bit unfortunate. Got Saloon nationals next month though.

Hamilton's meets were cancelled due to weather. They are up and going this season now, but have no sprintcars at all this season which is a bit unfortunate. Got Saloon nationals next month though.
That is a shame. The place needs more events to try get some funds in or grants approved. Pretty derelict atm. But volunteers do all they can.

That is a shame. The place needs more events to try get some funds in or grants approved. Pretty derelict atm. But volunteers do all they can.
I don't think it will ever get up to a 'bool/Mt G standard tbh. Nor does it need to. Those top tier venues host top tier racing. There is more to speedway than just sprintcars, and that's where the likes of Southern 500, Blue Ribbon, Western, Darlington, Simpson Speedways come into it. They're more geared to production sedans, modified sedans, street stocks, standard saloons, wingless sprints, limited sportsman categories with one or two sprintcar meets a season to break them all up. Western Speedway does usually have Eureka Series round, but this year for some reason it was left off the schedule.

Haven't been for quite some time and was keen to head to Murray Bridge this Sunday for a look, until i checked ticket prices.

$42 for an adult for one night is insane, especially when i can order the event on clay per view for $30 and the whole family can watch........

Haven't been for quite some time and was keen to head to Murray Bridge this Sunday for a look, until i checked ticket prices.

$42 for an adult for one night is insane, especially when i can order the event on clay per view for $30 and the whole family can watch........
Yeah that’s very up there. :(

Borderline Speedway do a great job with their track and facilities seeing it's all volunteer run and relies on sponsorships and donations by local businesses unlike Premier Speedway who have plenty of people on the payroll - hopefully they can fix their surface issues

Congrats to Bill Barrows who got inducted into the Australian Motorsport Hall of Fame this past week - legend and lovely bloke - got inducted by Dick Johnson - thanks Billy for all your years of service and making Borderline Speedway racing so bloody good!!!!

Need to get a person with some big coin to make a Southern series of Murray Bridge, Mt Gambier, Avalon and Warrnambool over the Summer months in December/January and get it on TV worldwide

Borderline Speedway do a great job with their track and facilities seeing it's all volunteer run and relies on sponsorships and donations by local businesses unlike Premier Speedway who have plenty of people on the payroll - hopefully they can fix their surface issues

Congrats to Bill Barrows who got inducted into the Australian Motorsport Hall of Fame this past week - legend and lovely bloke - got inducted by Dick Johnson - thanks Billy for all your years of service and making Borderline Speedway racing so bloody good!!!!

Need to get a person with some big coin to make a Southern series of Murray Bridge, Mt Gambier, Avalon and Warrnambool over the Summer months in December/January and get it on TV worldwide
Don’t forget bordertown’s new bullring won’t be too far away.
Apparently a copy of i55 raceway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back