Stevie Wright

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night's Australian Story was on Stevie Wright, ex-Easybeats lead singer.

He is a complete mess. A lifetime of drugs and alcohol have ruined him. The most poignant bit was when his partner said they were amazed that he was still alive, given so many rock stars with similar substance abuse problems didn't make it.

Last night's Australian Story was on Stevie Wright, ex-Easybeats lead singer.

He is a complete mess. A lifetime of drugs and alcohol have ruined him. The most poignant bit was when his partner said they were amazed that he was still alive, given so many rock stars with similar substance abuse problems didn't make it.

I googled him the other day and I read that through his worst period of drug abuse ,he was admitted to a rehab place and he had shock treatment.
Thats what caused the brain damage.
Cruel and evil treatment and damaged a lot of lives.in its time .

I googled him the other day and I read that through his worst period of drug abuse ,he was admitted to a rehab place and he had shock treatment.
Thats what caused the brain damage.
Cruel and evil treatment and damaged a lot of lives.in its time .

Yeah, that was mentioned in the story. I had actually forgotten about that part. Absolutely terrible.

Poor Stevie looked worse than when they did the Legends Tour...he couldn't even walk by himself, had to be helped and propped up.....so sad:(

..and they call them recreational drugs!

... lets not worry about our young ones taking them at parties or whatever...its a terrible law banning them, should make them legal....that'll fix the problem...then it'll be open slather for everyone...

...to quite possibly end up like Stevie.

I reckon it wouldn't be hard to find someone who was damaged as Wright due to alcohol or cigarettes. In fact, watching my grandfather die an early and painful death from smoking-related illness made me appreciate how destructive those ******* things are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, if our are going to have a society that dictates what people put in their body, the ongoing legality of cigarettes just makes a mockery of the whole process.

At least marijuana as well as hallucinogens like LSD and psilocybin do something. And are not addictive (which is why the broad banner of "recreational drugs" applying to everything just obscures the truth).

Cigarettes are essentially people paying to be addicted to poison and in far too many cases dying in one of the most horrible ways imaginable. As far as externalities go, they also have probably the biggest effect on non-partakers as well.

If we want to discuss society's handling of drugs in a purely scientific public policy analysis sense , cigarettes (and alcohol) are two gigantic elephants in the room.

Governments make way too much money from both tobacco and alcohol to get rid of them. And TBH, i don't think you could take every vice away from the common person. Since the dawn of man, people have had their vices, and i think taking everything away and making it illegal will only make the problem worse. It is the same with gambling, i think it's better to have a legal and controlled outlet rather than sending it underground by making it illegal. You really need to be smart with how you control legal vices like tobacco, alcohol and gambling though, and i think we are starting to lose that a bit. But that is a different track of discussion really.

I find it stupid that the Government says it's bad, we don't want people doing it, they restrict it with taxes and things like plain packaging etc, but they will still keep it very much able to be purchased. Tobacco and Alcohol certainly have a large impact across the board in cost though, from violence causing injury to poeple, which in turn takes up hospital resources and police resources, as well as a burden on the health system in general from the cost of people being sick from this things.

Governments make way too much money from both tobacco and alcohol to get rid of them

Bingo.

Reason number one why I just can't subscribe to the "illegal=bad" and "legal=good" philosophy.

You only have to work in government policy for a little while to see how much the law is up for sale.

Marijuana for example is a wonder drug. Has the potential to do remarkable things for medicine. Big pharmaceutical companies (up there with tobacco companies on the evil scale) are scared to death of a wonder drug that can be grown at home. It is in their business interest to ensure it remains a controlled substance.

Smokers have relinquished their right to subsidized health and welfare benefits. If you choose to poison your system why should the rest of us pay to keep you alive. Get your own health cover.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back