Discussion The deal with socks

How did you wear your socks when you played footy?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 23, 2012
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Sydney Swans, St Kilda Saints
Yepp. That's right. Socks. As all of our templates and the images on footyjumpers.com show, socks in Aussie Rules are long. Meant to hit the bottom of the knee (roughly).

So what is it with almost every player wearing their socks down near their ankles? To me, the socks are part if the uniform and are meant to be worn pulled up. I can't remember a time when I played Aussie Rules that I didn't have my socks up. It was a way if showing my difference to the rugby kids in my area (which is the majority if the kids). Today, as a hockey player, I have to wear them up because of my shinpads and I'm sure anyone who's played soccer would agree.

When I saw the first quarter of tonight's Hawks vs Geelong match, I counted two Hawthorn and one Cats player wearing their socks up. If they are made correctly, long socks can even act as compression garments, which some players like to wear. So why?

I wear my socks up, the only one in my footy team that does (Except Ruckman)

I did a bit of both.

Wearing them down felt more comfortable when running, however I almost always pulled them up when lining up for set shots.

I wear my socks up, the only one in my footy team that does (Except Ruckman)

Unless i get put in defense the i put 'em down to show that im pissed off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they were proper footy socks, when I wore them down I found sometimes it would effect my kick. They buch up and sit right on top of the boot and sometimes made me do a priddis. But if it was school footy(a long time ago) I would always forget to bring my footy socks and just play in my normal grey school socks, so they stayed down, cool story ay!!!!

If they were proper footy socks, when I wore them down I found sometimes it would effect my kick. They buch up and sit right on top of the boot and sometimes made me do a priddis. But if it was school footy(a long time ago) I would always forget to bring my footy socks and just play in my normal grey school socks, so they stayed down, cool story ay!!!!
Yes! I always used to hate the socks bunching up and becoming too thick. It was a comfort issue. When I moved to Perth, our club essentially had Richmond socks. Two games in and I realised no one would notice if I just wore regular black socks. Worked well. You don't want them bunched down but you need them approaching about a third of the way up. It's a science!

And it's interesting how things change. Twenty years ago you would've looked soft for wearing your socks down but now it's probably associated with some in and under players; a bit of a laissez faire presentation.

Other issues from country and ammos is the jumper. Me and the other short arses in the side would always rush to get 1-4 but some tall a-hole had stolen the small jumpers so he could have a tight fit like he was Buddy bloody Franklin. Bloody hell it annoyed me.

Yes! I always used to hate the socks bunching up and becoming too thick. It was a comfort issue. When I moved to Perth, our club essentially had Richmond socks. Two games in and I realised no one would notice if I just wore regular black socks. Worked well. You don't want them bunched down but you need them approaching about a third of the way up. It's a science!

And it's interesting how things change. Twenty years ago you would've looked soft for wearing your socks down but now it's probably associated with some in and under players; a bit of a laissez faire presentation.

Other issues from country and ammos is the jumper. Me and the other short arses in the side would always rush to get 1-4 but some tall a-hole had stolen the small jumpers so he could have a tight fit like he was Buddy bloody Franklin. Bloody hell it annoyed me.

Haha, I was exactly the same with the jumper sizes, I basically couldn't have anything over probably number 10!

if I were to go back and play again soon (hopefully within the next few years i'll be back up and going) i'd be wearing them up no matter what.

though, as a junior, i wore them up when I was u/10-u/12, down through u/14 and whatever i felt like in u/16, generally depending on the weather and my position. sometimes one up one down (what a goose)

I did always have my right sock up for shots on goal.

Long sleeve jumper, start the game with socks up, by quarter time socks down, hopefully full of mud.
If the headmaster came along to watch the game the socks had to get pulled back up again.
When I first started there it was this:
PEGS-Mero.gif

then the school changed their design and it was this:
PEGS-Mero2.gif

It wasn't that the socks were that bad, I used to love the look of the socks pulled up.
But I played with them down.
PEGS.gif

Some time back I made this.
Running-PEGS.gif

Last edited:
When I played footy (a good 9 or so years ago now) I almost always played with them up, purely because I hate them bunching up like weights around my ankles. In hockey now I'm forced to wear them up for the pads, but if I were to return to footy I'd still wear them up. Looks cleaner and shows respect for your team. I understand some people like wearing them down, but I'm more of a traditional footy player. I'd probably wear a long sleeve as well ^_^

I came from soccer as a young kid and always had to wear them up, and that carried over to footy. I liked the look of socks up a lot better and I was more used to the feel.

Back