The foodies thread 🦞🍤🍕🥞

Remove this Banner Ad

Had dinner at Morris Jones this week - restaurant on Chapel St. Not sure exactly what to call it - ultra-modern Australian cuisine, perhaps?

It's a bit pricey, but was there for a special occasion. Ordered the chef's menu, 4 course random selection.

Everything was very yummy. Ate some things I normally wouldn't enjoy. Slightly quirky food, but the flavours were sensational.

Highly recommended if you want to sample some unique dishes. Or you could go a la carte and stick to the safer options. I got the feeling every dish there is a winner.

Would go back. Even just for the experience. I felt gastronomically challenged.... Service was impeccable too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ferris it would of been nice if you had lets us know what you had eaten. I love quirky food.

Sorry JR, just saw this. Memory now getting hazy, but I'll do my best.

WARNING: Food pr0n post to follow...

Started with salt & vinegar chips. Big deal you say? Well, the chips were made out of saltbush (plant). They were crispy and crunchy but melted (like full on dissolved) in your mouth - maybe a little too vinger-y, but boy was the flavour there...

Next was the 'mad cow shot'. A shot glass with some steak tartare, covered in a miso-like Japanese broth. Really weird, but yummy and interesting. Wife chickened out after a sip...

Entree of Salmon, which came out in a glass cloche (sp?). Lift up the lid and 'voof', there's smoke everywhere. The salmon was cooked perfectly, with a serious smoke flavour. Was just divine, like you were eating salmon flavoured (and textured) smoked woodchips. Accompaniments were brilliant.

Main of Duck - can't remember too much, but the duck was of course cooked perfectly and had interesting crispy and saucy jus bits around it. The entrees/mains had little dollops of sauce that looked they had been made up in a lab and dished up with a piping bag. And when you tried them, the tastes were dense and complex and yummmm....Each dish had 3-4 elements and when you combined them, you knew the ingredients were meant to be together.

Dessert - 'violet crumble'. Purple violet ice cream. Some kind of crispy cholocate smothered in chocolate soil and then handmade honeycomb. I think they also used the 'dry ice' effect that is one part funky, three parts massively wanky.

Still, overall there was plenty of theatre, without being pompous. Service was one of the best I've ever experienced, the food was wonderful and funky but instead of tasting experimental, it just worked. As I mentioned in my orig post, not the kind of place you pop into for a weeknight meal, but definitely memorable for a special occasion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back