Delisted Todd Banfield (2008-2013)

Remove this Banner Ad

It was just surprising to hear you complain about Green's fumbling when that is basically Todd's trademark. Green is so much cleaner below his knees and a better kick and while both work very hard on the field, Green is a bit smarter with his positioning, giving you more forward defensive pressure for your buck.

I was blown away by Banfield 3 years ago and even get his number on one of my guernseys, but he has fallen from grace in a big way and his reserves form doesn't even have him close to senior selection IMO.

I do like Green, but at the same time he hasn't been exceptional to the point where you can't keep him out of the team. Port is doing the same thing with Butcher now, giving him games to see if he can cut it on the back of mediorce SANFL form . I'd just like to see if Banfield can do the same. If he fails miserably, I'll be the first to put my hand up.

I do like Green, but at the same time he hasn't been exceptional to the point where you can't keep him out of the team. Port is doing the same thing with Butcher now, giving him games to see if he can cut it on the back of mediorce SANFL form . I'd just like to see if Banfield can do the same. If he fails miserably, I'll be the first to put my hand up.

butcher is a high draft pick and kpp who generally take longer to develop and are more valuable to the team unlike a small forward who provides only defensive pressure due to his skill issues, he got quite a run couple of years ago and thenlast year got a few games, form issues and injury kept him out, regardless he cant be gifted games just because if he isnt performing he cant be selected, ive read some of your comments on the players pages today theyve all been a bit outlandish and outside the norm opinions on players, and i really do wonder if youre an opposition fan here to just troll with everyone

Wow, I didn't agree with his view on Banfield either but some of the reactions are getting a little disproportionate now.
It was obvious I was using an extreme and unrealistic example. The main message was, do not share your opinion on something you are not educated on unless you are open to other people challenging that opinion and presenting you with the facts.

Please tell me how they are not similar players up for comparison.
Forward pocket, quick, both average around 10 possies and a goal a game.
They are very similar players. I never said they were not similar. You said Green was fumbly though and that he did not kick goals when in actual fact he is generally quite clean below the knees and he has kicked 17 goals in 14 games. That comment is what my post was referring to.

Admittedly a lot more round these parts have seen Banfield play reserves this year, but his game against NT a few weeks back was very average and at the time I thought he looked disinterested and his form reflected it.

Please tell me how they are not similar players up for comparison.
Forward pocket, quick, both average around 10 possies and a goal a game.

They are indeed comparable players ... I initially thought that you had just got your names mixed up and were ascribing Green's strengths and weaknesses to Banfield and vice versa ... but apparently no you were serious. :eek:

Considering we did the whole 'give Banfield some senior games to work through it' a fair while back and that the same things that were issues for him then are (at least according to our Ressies' watchers (thank you btw)) still just as much of an issue there now as they were back then.

I, like many another here, would have loved to see Green and Banfield running amok in the same forward line giving opposition defenders nightmares when they were coming out from a point / defence and see how it went ... but Banfield has not shown even promising glimpses let alone legitimate signs that he is ready to come back ... hopefully there is a good sports psychologist in his phone's contact list 'cause there was skill there and I don't know where it went :(

I actually think we ruined him by trying to get him to rotate through the midfield. I suppose the coaching staff thought it was too limiting for the team to have a small player remain exclusively in the forward half but I thought his frontal pressure really helped us score at times.

I actually think we ruined him by trying to get him to rotate through the midfield. I suppose the coaching staff thought it was too limiting for the team to have a small player remain exclusively in the forward half but I thought his frontal pressure really helped us score at times.

Seems to be a thing in the AFL these days that you cant be JUST a small forward, or half forward even, you HAVE to be able to run the midfield.

I think the main issue was/is that Banfield has never been an AFL standard quality small forward :(

27 goals in 2010 and 24 in 2011 seem to indicate otherwise... So far this year, the only person to beat those scores is Brown on 28, and Zorko has 22, Greens on 20, so both need to have decent games in the next two to beat Banfields output.

Sorry for the intrusion, thought he was a good player at Swans when he was with us.

But he always seemed a bit one dimensional as a tackling small fwd who would bob up with 2 goals per game.

Can Leppa turn him around?

Confidence seems the main issue. He lost it and has really, really struggled to get any confidence back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tigers eye delisted Lion Banfield
26 November 2013
Callum Twomey

RICHMOND has expressed interest in recruiting Brisbane Lions small forward Todd Banfield at Wednesday's NAB AFL Rookie Draft.

The Lions delisted Banfield earlier this month but committed to redrafting him as a rookie, however the Tigers are believed to be keen on the small forward.

The Lions are considering their position on the 23-year-old, given the club's first pick in the rookie draft comes before Richmond's.

The Tigers have one spare spot on their senior list and hold a pre-season draft selection, but are likely to head into the season with a shorter primary list.

Banfield didn't play a game for the Lions in 2013, but has kicked 57 goals from his 53 games for the club.

251615-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Meanwhile, delisted small forward Todd Banfield is headed to Richmond despite training with the Lions during the early stages of the pre-season.

Lions’ General Manger, Football Operations, Dean Warren said: “We were always committed to re-drafting Todd as a rookie, however it became apparent earlier this week that Richmond were also interested in his services.

“After some discussions with both Todd and the Tigers, we came to an agreement that would allow him to continue his AFL career in Melbourne.

“Todd departs the Club with the our best wishes and we acknowledge and appreciate the contribution he has made in five seasons at the Lions.”

Good luck Toddy, thanks for the memories.

His running goal from halfback in Adelaide, and him turning Harry O well and truly inside out in Power's 250th, some of his finest moments.

Hope he finds his form again, very enjoyable to watch when he's on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back