Vic Upper House Voting Reform

Remove this Banner Ad

Demosthenes

Premiership Player
Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
So, as widely predicted for many months, the upper house poll has been a complete debacle. Transport Matters looks like they've got 2 seats with 0.6% of the vote, compared to the Greens getting one from 9.2%.

Any word on abolishing group ticket voting, or at least allowing above the line preferencing? I don't see why the Andrews government is so reluctant to address it. Should be a bipartisan no-brainer - these sorts of results are an embarrassment.

So, as widely predicted for many months, the upper house poll has been a complete debacle. Transport Matters looks like they've got 2 seats with 0.6% of the vote, compared to the Greens getting one from 9.2%.

Any word on abolishing group ticket voting, or at least allowing above the line preferencing? I don't see why the Andrews government is so reluctant to address it. Should be a bipartisan no-brainer - these sorts of results are an embarrassment.
Who has said Andrews is reluctant to address it?

I suspect there will be reforms now that Labor has close to a majority in the Legislative Council

Rumours Saturday were the result will mean upper house reform is very likely, and will be a priority

One thing that should immediately change about upper house voting is to prevent dodgy micro-parties from appearing on ballot papers with key words from one of the major parties in their name.

The DLP appeared on ballot papers as "Labor DLP" which unsurprisingly won them a bunch of votes (compared to previous election) from people who were ignorant of their separateness from the ALP.

Similarly, the Liberal Democrats got extra votes whenever they appeared before the Liberal Party on ballot papers.

Surely it's not that hard to clean this up. It shouldn't be possible to create a political party name that has essentially already been taken or to appear to mimic another party in an attempt to trick voters into choosing you based on your similar name.

Last edited:
Andrews, if he wants to reform it, might wait until 2022. These micro party crossbenchers will be uncooperative when they know it's over.

Only need 2, so not an issue so much now

Would you give someone you work with 4 years notice they're out of a job? These people will never make $160,000+ per year again in their lives.

Greens will endorse, so that's one. Just means you cherry pick from the rest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back