Toast Vale Russell Ebert

Remove this Banner Ad

For those of us who were too young to see him play, what modern day footballer would he most resemble?
Nope. None of 'em come close. Russell was as hard and fair and skilled as anyone I've ever seen. His vision was breath taking - he could see stuff no-one else would even consider ... then execute the disposal to cut through the clutter and open up the game.

As a young fella that grew up with Norwood in the blood (Bill and Perc McCallum were my Grandma's brothers), watching rusted on Redlegs members / ex-players just shake their heads and clap at what Russell did against my team was an insight. It was probably the first time I saw supporters outwardly acknowledge good play from the opposition.

The guy was a cut above anyone from the modern era. The only other guy that I remember getting that type of respect was maybe Robran - but that was when I was really young :)

Nope. None of 'em come close. Russell was as hard and fair and skilled as anyone I've ever seen. His vision was breath taking - he could see stuff no-one else would even consider ... then execute the disposal to cut through the clutter and open up the game.

As a young fella that grew up with Norwood in the blood (Bill and Perc McCallum were my Grandma's brothers), watching rusted on Redlegs members / ex-players just shake their heads and clap at what Russell did against my team was an insight. It was probably the first time I saw supporters outwardly acknowledge good play from the opposition.

The guy was a cut above anyone from the modern era. The only other guy that I remember getting that type of respect was maybe Robran - but that was when I was really young :)
Barrie Robran was one of those players who made time stand still, he'd glide around the oval getting possessions at will. Remember one commentator, maybe Wally May, say he was so good they should tie the grandstand to his back to make it fairer for the opposition. That thug Leigh Matthews has a lot to answer for.

Ebert was just as prolific but harder and tougher, unstoppable on his day. Didn't look as good to the eye as Robran but just as effective if not more. I hated and admired him at the same time.

Can't think of any of today's players who play like Ebert did, but certainly similar to the likes of Michael Voss and possibly Buckley back in their day.
Roo probably had as well rounded game as Russell, but not the same class. Better overhead than Voss and Buckley.

For those of us who were too young to see him play, what modern day footballer would he most resemble?
Was fortunate to play against him, it is difficult to compare him to any modern day player, powerful and explosive from stoppage but not super quick, clean by hand at ground level, elite foot skill either foot,strong overhead but not overly tall, had everything’s real pity for those that didn’t get to see him and Robran play am blessed

Was fortunate to play against him, it is difficult to compare him to any modern day player, powerful and explosive from stoppage but not super quick, clean by hand at ground level, elite foot skill either foot,strong overhead but not overly tall, had everything’s real pity for those that didn’t get to see him and Robran play am blessed
On the other hand, they'll probably outlive us

This is why I loved Neil Kerley .....and the characters in the game .....

Saw him break Peter Milsoms jaw one game .....high ball coming into the goal square, Kerley in front of Milsom, both had the hands up for the ball .....Kerley did a quick back fling of his elbow, so quick no-one saw it .....jaw smashed !

Saw him break Peter Milsoms jaw one game .....high ball coming into the goal square, Kerley in front of Milsom, both had the hands up for the ball .....Kerley did a quick back fling of his elbow, so quick no-one saw it .....jaw smashed !

Stepped in front of Damian Nygaard, raised elbow, broken jaw bad habit of his

Toby Greene needs to see this video.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine getting to the end of a publicly prominent life with literally no one ever having a bad word to say about you.

Shows you the mark of the man in terms of integrity and human decency in every sense.

Too Young to have seen him play but obviously a hell of a player. Even recently could still see the undeniable build of a freak athlete (can see the same in Blight and G Cornes).

World is a significantly worse place for his passing.

It’s been interesting reading tributes to Russell Ebert and also posts on here from people who, like you, are too young to have seen him play.

It’s made me try to think of how I would describe him, perhaps by way of comparison to modern players - as difficult as that is.

Robran was more mercurial, more “brilliant”, the high flyer similar in body shape and movement to Graham Cornes, perhaps similar to a Bont ?? (Very hard to find the right comparison!)

Ebert on the other hand - while he could certainly take a grab, he was less the “upright” player and more the “leaning forward” player. Definitely a freak athlete. The statue of him at Adelaide Oval captures it perfectly - leaning forward, always running and attacking.

In one way I could compare him to Dusty, not in size or look but in his ability to impose his will on the game.

That’s the phrase that keeps coming to me about Ebert - his ability to impose his will on the game. It’s why Port were so successful, that ability to turns things around through relentless attacking.

He wasn’t short but when he ran he leant forward, was low to the ground, perfectly balanced and in my mind’s eye I can see him taking the ball and running through the middle of the ground, taking a bounce or two, dodging around players, just running and pushing forward and making it happen.

I don’t want to overdo the Dusty comparison, but there’s a reason why Ebert won four Magareys and Dusty has three Norm Smiths and a Brownlow.

It’s the same reason that makes opposition supporters go “Oh no…” whenever either of them got/gets the ball.

And I think it’s that relentless pushing forward style that made him such a great man helping others off the field too - the ability to help others overcome the obstacles in front of them, push forward, keep running and impose their will on whatever game they’re up against.

A hell of a player indeed.

Maybe Josh Kennedy or similar. Just a big body full of strength and versatility.

Has anyone here seen the death notice posted by the SANFL for Russell

I won’t post it out of respect for Russell but the next paragraph goes on to talk about a completely different player.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back