Werribee v Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Mason Wood is bigger than I expected - and doesn't he have some skills.

McDondald was great. Hine excellent. Pity Ben Ross was delisted. He would still make a great AFL player.

The passage of Wood - McDonald - Greenwood - Daw = North's future on display. And the future looks so bright I had to put my sunglasses on...

Hmmm, nah he's silkier than Doc. Maybe a less physical (at this stage) Roughead?

I reckon he'd give Roughie windburn. Hawthorn's got another tall left footed forward. I reckon he's more like him*.

*Here's hoping!!!!

Werribee...
dedicate-boner-valentines-day-ecard-someecards.jpg

Continue showing that sort of effort and we'll have some sort of squad on our hands. If we have a great start to the season it's going to be very hard keeping a lid on things.

North might be putting together a really strong list, but it will mean nought unless a few of our players go from good players to 'elite' or 'ultra-elite'.

List pressure from the VFL might push the senior players towards this, but at this stage I'm keeping the lid firmly in place.

First up:
- Siera is obviously the game day emergency, with Hine and Majak both playing.
-Kennedy didn't play due to an ankle strain. Will play next week

Greenwood: Behind Warren he was best on ground. Was his usual self in the clinches but the thing that impressed me most was his run and spread. Provided an option for the flankers coming out of defence on a number of occasions, but also crept forward and snagged a couple of goals. One was particularly impressive with him going back with the flight taking a cracker mark. Played on Batsanis (who is an excellent state level player) and limited his influence Ended up with 23-25 odd touches, 10 marks, 2 goals, 6-7 clearances and about 10 tackles. Awesome day at the office for the pig.

McDonald: His skills and vision is first class. Was playing against men, and hardly for beaten in any one on one contest. He kicked the first goal of the game, after originally setting up the play across half back. PLayed across half back but also crept forward and had a few beautiful inside 50's. Had one particular bit of play where he spotted up Greenwood in the centre with a bullshit good kick. Only made one small blunder when he sold a teammate into pressure. Looked amazing, could play AFL football now. In the 2nd half he played on Josh Scipione who was probably Port's best player in the first half and limited his possesions in the 2nd half. Had 20 odd touches, 1 goal and a number of assists. His 2nd and 3rd efforts are particularly impressive. Should also be mentioned that he ran the game out very very well.

Hine: Had an excellent game with 18-20 touches. Had a number of inside 50's and used the footy bloody well. Is very quick, and not afraid to take them on. His competitiveness was a real feature, I don't remember him being beaten one on one in any occasion. Was involved in many scoring attacks from half back and he killed a lot of contests in the back half even when he was outnumbered. Don't think he had a goal kicked on him. Had 20 odd touches, 5-6 tackles and numerous 1%er's!

Gysberts: Had the footy on a string in the first half and used it pretty well. Coughed up the footy a few times in the back half with a few dinky little kicks but overall I think he had a pretty good day. He worked hard to create an option and took a number of solid marks. Had a number of inside 50's, tackled well and had a number of direct clearances in the centre square. He faded a little bit in the 2nd half but still got his hands on it. Played on Mitch Woofindin and limited his impact as well as having 20 odd touches, 4 tackles, 4 clearances, 5-6 marks and 2-3 inside 50's.

McGeiness: Was really impressed with McGeiness, battled very hard all day and managed to find a fair amount of the footy considering this is his first run in the big time. Provided an option on the wing, and linked up extremely well. Worked hard forward and worked hard to get back and help in defence. He was often seen getting back to fill the hole in front of Bonnadido and Galea which says a lot about his courage. He is a natural footballer who does the simply things right. Had 14-15 touches, 2-3 marks and 1-2 inside 50's. Also managed 4 or so tackle. There is a lot to work with there I think.

Wood: Started very quietly and dropped a few soda's in the first quarter. At first I thought he may have not been up to it, but he worked very very hard to get involved from the 1st quarter onwards. Playing as a Half/Centre Half forward he worked up and back down the ground. Took some pretty incredible marks at his toes and took a few nice ones above his head. His side step and agility for a big man is excellent (very similar to black's in fact...but I think he has the frame to put on a lot more muscle). Made a few bad decisions early but made up for it later on the game with some really crisp inside 50's that resulted in a number of goals. Was opposed to Toby Pinwell for much of the 2nd half who is no slouch in the VFL. He ran out the game well and ended up with 10-12 touches, 5-6 marks, 13-14 touches and 3 inside 50's. Very impressed.

Currie: Flogged and I mean Flogged Skipper and Thoolan in the ruck. Didn't get a heap of touches around the ground, but he was serving up the footy on a silver platter to the midfielders. Probably ended up with 35-40 hitouts with 10-15 touches and a couple of marks. Didn't go forward much, but worked hard back to fill the space in front of Port's big forwards.

Daw: Had a solid game , started really well and took a number of contested marks. Dominated Thoolen in the ruck and covered the ground really well. Played a pivotal role at the start when Werribee had their first run of goals. Ended up having 12-14 touches, 5-6 marks (2-3 contested), 2 goals, 15 odd hithouts, couple of clearances, a few tackles

Speight: Done very average. Didn't get his hands on the footy much, then finally got a touch close to goal and got buried. Showed hardly any awareness or speed when he had the footy in his hands. When he went to ground, Greenwood gave him a boot to the face by accident and he didn't come back once we were half way through the 3rd quarter.

The Bees senior players were very impressive. Ross was instrumental, while Warren put in a Herculean effort with 11 goals. There is a lot to like about Clouston and Sherlock is one to keep an eye on for the rest of the season!

Levi BOG for mine, followed narrowly by Milky.

Sorry to all the lovers, but I dont think Maj is ready at all.

Levi BOG for mine, followed narrowly by Milky.

Sorry to all the lovers, but I dont think Maj is ready at all.

First game of the season, he is impacting the contests a lot more than he used to and he is running out games a lot better. He still fades in and out, but considering the position he plays I don't think this is a huge problem.

RE. AK injury

we can blame a NM team mate for this;) but nice to hear they take their training seriously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was solid.

He won't star in every match, but I am happy if he is a contributor when the big grabs and goals aren't coming his way and he did that today.

First game of the season, he is impacting the contests a lot more than he used to and he is running out games a lot better. He still fades in and out, but considering the position he plays I don't think this is a huge problem.

Agree with both of you, but people saying he should be playing tomorrow are wrong.

He will debut this year, but not against the likes of Collingwood.

Agree with both of you, but people saying he should be playing tomorrow are wrong.

He will debut this year, but not against the likes of Collingwood.

The really good thing from my perspective is that he is definitely improving in the fundamental aspects of the game. He hit a lot of marking contests hard, chased and harrassed and he did a power of good work in the clinches.

These are the things that are going to make him an AFL footballer.

The really good thing from my perspective is that he is definitely improving in the fundamental aspects of the game. He hit a lot of contests hard, chased and harrassed and he did a power of good work in the clinches.

Yep it's the contested stuff that stood out the most today. He is timing his leads better and when he flys for a mark whoever is in front of him has to earn it.

The really good thing from my perspective is that he is definitely improving in the fundamental aspects of the game. He hit a lot of marking contests hard, chased and harrassed and he did a power of good work in the clinches.

This

WERRIBEE TIGERS

Goal Kickers: B. Warren 11, S. Clouston 3, M. Daw 2, L. Greenwood 2, A. Maric 2, B. Ross , W. Martiniello , S. Sherlock , J. Mather , L. McDonald

Best Players: B. Warren, L. Greenwood, T. Hine, S. Sherlock, J. Moore, J. Wilson

He was solid.

He won't star in every match, but I am happy if he is a contributor when the big grabs and goals aren't coming his way and he did that today.

Yes, he was more ''involved'' today, even when he wasn't marking or kicking and some of his tap outs were excellent. He's got quite a vertical leap.

It's the best allround 4 qtr game he's played. Looked like a footballer today rather than an athlete playing football.

WERRIBEE TIGERS

Goal Kickers: B. Warren 11, S. Clouston 3, M. Daw 2, L. Greenwood 2, A. Maric 2, B. Ross , W. Martiniello , S. Sherlock , J. Mather , L. McDonald

Best Players: B. Warren, L. Greenwood, T. Hine, S. Sherlock, J. Moore, J. Wilson
Very impressed with Hine.

There would be one or two small defenders in the 1's looking over their shoulders for sure.

Hine was most impressive today.

I wanted to see a back-up performance from NAB4 and he looked even better IMO.

The most pleasing aspect of his game is his physicality. Early in the first he went back with the flight of the ball, took the hit and rebounded immediately.

He runs straight at the contest, is tough, accountable and knows his limitations.

Maric. Remember when he was at Greenvale 7 years ago and kicked 11 against us in under 16s. He has always been a goal sneak but Melbourne and richmond played him onball. That was good.

He certainly did.

A huge talent as a junior, although his discipline at Melbourne in particular was non-existent, particularly when you see him on the chew at nightclubs in the early hours of the morning.

He would be good icing at a top AFL side. But unfortunately doesn't work anywhere near hard enough the other way at the top level.

He'll do damage at the Bees this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back