Westpac joint account

Remove this Banner Ad

Al Heimer

Club Legend
Apr 28, 2017
Dante's Second Circle
AFL Club
Richmond
Wonder if some kind (human) sole can help me, really please help me.

My wife and I live permanently here in Thailand. We both receive a military pension that goes into our Westpac joint account (our only Aussie bank account).

My health is failing fast and I tried to ask Westpac about my wife's ability to access that account if I die but I got some AI bot that kept asking me to simplify my query and was a complete waste of time.

I dont want to spend several hours on an overseas telecom waiting for Westpac to put me thru to an actual human so I thought I might try my luck here with you lot.

Does anyone know anything about what I'm asking? Can my wife of 36 years be able to access her pension and bank balance when I'm done?

My will details are clear but I get the feeling these bastards are going to * my wifeover with red tape.

Thanks if anyone can set me straight.

On SM-J250F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Banks accounts in multiple names are joint accounts, which means survivorship applies. If she survives beyond you, she will continue to retain access to the bank account.
If there is a credit card in your name that WILL be cancelled, even if she has a secondary card.

There can, occasionally be some timing issues where they may freeze the account if there is doubt over who the account holder is, or they have concerns about illegal activity. It's rare.

You could open a second account for your wife and have some emergency funds available if you are really nervous.

Wonder if some kind (human) sole can help me, really please help me.

My wife and I live permanently here in Thailand. We both receive a military pension that goes into our Westpac joint account (our only Aussie bank account).

My health is failing fast and I tried to ask Westpac about my wife's ability to access that account if I die but I got some AI bot that kept asking me to simplify my query and was a complete waste of time.

I dont want to spend several hours on an overseas telecom waiting for Westpac to put me thru to an actual human so I thought I might try my luck here with you lot.

Does anyone know anything about what I'm asking? Can my wife of 36 years be able to access her pension and bank balance when I'm done?

My will details are clear but I get the feeling these bastards are going to * my wifeover with red tape.

Thanks if anyone can set me straight.

On SM-J250F using BigFooty.com mobile app

May have a bit of inside knowledge here ;)
If it's a joint account (not 3rd party or signatory) then your wife will have full access, no freezing, nothing.
Can I just say, get this organised quick smart, open a local bank account in the country you live in. Get your pension redirected if you can.
You may have issues with overseas tax residency (even though military pension is tax exempt) or IDV compliance issues. If the worst happens, when estates are notified they may freeze accounts if the above points aren't covered correctly.

I deal with quite a few overseas residents, things like internet banking, mobile apps and debit cards can become a nightmare if the compliance and IDV isn't up to date. From feedback I've had, Bangkok and Kasikorn are the best to deal with from an expat's perspective.

I wish you the best mate, hope your health has a turnaround

Remove this Banner Ad

Back