Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Oct 24, 2005
Mount Pleasant
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Geelong and Socceroos
Some people have asked me this very question. What's like to be a goal umpire?

I don't get abused as much as the field umpires and the boundary umpires do.

I have had a lot fun with the goal umpiring. In fact being around some interesting footballers like former magpie Andrew Tranquilli is just awesome. I get on really well with the players.

Why have I posted this here? Simply because I am trying to get people interested in the umpires. A little bit of promotion without the advertising is ok. Talking about umpiring might get people interested.

I reached a big milestone of 450 games this year. My game happened to be an under 18's match Redan vs North City which Redan thrashed the pants off North City.

Not bad for starters although the weather was really cold. It felt like it was going to snow. So yeah really cold weather.

Later that day I had Clunes vs Buninyong at Clunes.
Clunes had started by kicking a few goals and Buninyong had their turn in the second half of that quarter. Then Buninyong went on with it in the second quarter ripping CLunes apart.
Clunes in the third quarter came back at Buninyong and were within 2 goals. Then in the last quarter Buninyong kicked away and thrashed Clunes.

The following week I had Buninyong vs Beaufort on the saturday and East point vs Redan u/18's.
Buninyong kicked 7 points in the first quarter. I remember that. Then they were within a point at half time.
Buninyong then kicked 7 goals in the third quarter to 2 goals 8 points, setting up the win for Buninyong.

The East point vs Redan game was a scrappy game. Scrappy as it was foggy and wet weather so the players were kicking the ball soccer style. Redan were able to pinch the win in a very low scoring game by 2 points.

East point vs Sebastopol u/18's and Creswick vs Buninyong.

East point were able to bounce back and thrash Sebastopol by 80 odd points ( I think).
Dry conditions at the Eastern Oval meant that we had no problems with fog and wet weather.
east were just too good.

Creswick were able to surprise Buninyong with a come from behind win at their home ground.
I had to do the game with a club umpire as the person who I was meant to umpire with was called away to another game.

This game was awesome. Nobody would have thought that Creswick would be able to win the match against Buninyong. In the end Creswick had the leg speed to push past the Buninyong team.
It was typical of the saints and bombers games. (for those that don't know Creswick are known as the saints and wear st kilda traditional jumpers whilst Buninyong wear Essendon jumpers and are known as the Bombers).

Buninyong vs Hepburn.
On a sad day for Buninyong who had lost a rising star from a result of a nasty head injury from a bashing early on Mother's day, Buninyong got beaten by a pumped up and awesome Hepburn team. Every Buninyong player was affected by Rhys Marshall's death. The guys couldn't kick straight. We had a minute's silence and I could notice many of the fellas from Buninyong had tears rolling down their faces.

Hepburn ended up thrashing Buninyong who really couldn't get back into the game.

Did you take a trip to Ballarat Coles, grizz, and feel the nostalgic urge to bump this thread?

Three cheese pizzas under his belt I'd say.

I thought she had access back for a moment.

Is it wrong to want to meet S00z?
No, no it's not. I'm in the exact same boat.

At this point in time she has said she's coming to 2 games.

1. Rd 17 - North vs. Richmond
  2. Rd 3 - North vs. Geelong
If you're free those weekends it might be worth going for a s00z hunt? I know i will be ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, no it's not. I'm in the exact same boat.

At this point in time she has said she's coming to 2 games.

1. Rd 17 - North vs. Richmond
  2. Rd 3 - North vs. Geelong
If you're free those weekends it might be worth going for a s00z hunt? I know i will be ;)

Yeah, I'm a bit conflicted about the whole thing.

I'd feel a little weird going out of my way to find her. While the whole phenomenon of s00z is funny, it is ultimately a whole lot of regular members of society making fun of one of life's losers. She has more than one screw loose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back