Where does the 2023 AFL grand final rank?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice try!
You will need to elaborate on that, i'm one of those people that dislike the 2005 and 2006 Grand Finals simply due to the nature of the game that was played. The rest i stand by. Most Grand Finals of the past 23 years have been blowouts or fairly ordinary. games. I can only assume you're not happy that i didn't include any Hawthorn games, but if it's any consolation i still think the 1989 match was the peak of Australian Rules Football and the best GF ever played and my team lost!

You will need to elaborate on that, i'm one of those people that dislike the 2005 and 2006 Grand Finals simply due to the nature of the game that was played. The rest i stand by. Most Grand Finals of the past 23 years have been blowouts or fairly ordinary. games. I can only assume you're not happy that i didn't include any Hawthorn games, but if it's any consolation i still think the 1989 match was the peak of Australian Rules Football and the best GF ever played and my team lost!

2006, 2010 (first game), 2011, 2012, 2018 were all great grand finals. All of them were just as good as 2023, if not better.

All this talk of the greatest Grand final ever is just pies fans crapping on. First half was great. But 2nd hand was lacklustre.

I would say 2018 / 2009 edge this grand final because they finished with absolutely iconic moments (toe-poke, Dom Sheed)

De Goey's goal was great & Sidebottom was clutch, but I don't think those moments have the same sense of drama the other mentioned moments did

I think for skills executed the 2023 is the best on that front. Some of the goals kicked were amazing.
Watching live and as a pies supporter at the game I didnt feel like it was best GF ever maybe because my focus was just Collingwood but can now see why neutrals talked it up.
1989 was incredible and to me is a standout hard to top.
I am guessing this must sit close with the 2005-06 weagles/swans epics.

It was pretty good, but not on the level of some of the others. I still reckon 2021 is massively underrated. Fluctuating, high quality game that concluded with literally the best 39 minutes of footy ever played. Still enjoy watching that one despite the final margin.

Haha nothing like that mate, just pointing out what I assume was a typo as you've listed 2020 as the draw (your L to the tigers) instead of 2010. :thumbsu:

It was good to watch because it was close, and both teams certainly had runs/opportunities to take the game. In terms of actual intensity of play/big moments I thought it wasn’t that great - both teams seemed to run out of steam quite early.

Still, certainly enjoyable enough, credit to both teams. Well done to the Pies on winning.

I think for skills executed the 2023 is the best on that front. Some of the goals kicked were amazing.
Watching live and as a pies supporter at the game I didnt feel like it was best GF ever maybe because my focus was just Collingwood but can now see why neutrals talked it up.
1989 was incredible and to me is a standout hard to top.
I am guessing this must sit close with the 2005-06 weagles/swans epics.

2011 hands down best skills from both sides on the day.

De Goey's goal was great & Sidebottom was clutch, but I don't think those moments have the same sense of drama the other mentioned moments did
That said 4 goals and 2 lead changes after the 18 minute mark of the last certainly made it a thrilling last chunk of the game.

The 2018 grandfinal had one goal in the last 25 minutes from memory, the points from the Eagles certainly added some spectacle to the game including the, unfortunate, thrilling winner from Sheed.

Regardless both were excellent grand finals, as to which was better, don't ask my because it will be a heavily biased answer haha

best of all time

the boat then the goat

ill say most tight gf we have had and it had it all.

but best as in the day and how it went

and pies winning thier 16th premeirship to join blues and bombers even better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it was great game. Loved it.

BUT the atmosphere was weird. Seemed flat.

I wasn't sure if it was because:

-The crowd was quiet because they were so tense
-There were so many neutrals
-Crowd noise was lowered due to telecast
-The commentators were flat
-Day time

or a combination of all.

The atmosphere at the previous finals was insane in comparison.

Just watched the last quarter again after a long, boozy lunch.

I'd forgotten one of the highlights - Billy Frampton's double flex on the podium after receiving his medallion.

Magnificent!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back