Which team did you support after the collapse of Fitzroy?

Which AFL do you now support?

• Adelaide

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Brisbane Lions

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • Carlton

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Essendon

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Fremantle

• Geelong

• Hawthorn

• Kangaroos/North Melbourne

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Melbourne

• Port Adelaide

• Richmond

• St.Kilda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sydney Swans

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • West Coast Eagles

• Western Bulldogs/Footscray

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • No AFL Club

Votes: 9 11.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans...I had lived in Sydney since the mid 60s but kept the Roys always.I was brought up in Rowe St which ran into the Edinburgh Gardens where the home ground was. On game days our street was always full of cars angle parked, and of course, we walked to the ground in a minute or so.I used to walk thru the gardens to meet my Dad off the tram after work, and on Tuesday and Thursday nights I always left home earlier so I could catch training on the way!
When South went to Sydney I used to go watch every game there, but kept my allegiance to Fitzroy..a genuine supporter would understand that the link would never break. Then when we were assassinated I followed the Swans completely, but always as my second team...even tho the Roys are gone! I sort of am looking forward to the Swans getting a flag, but i know it will not be the same as if the maroon and blue took it.
Have to say I love seeing Bris when they play in the heritage rounds, with the maroon and blue!

Just got my vote in there mate ;)

Noticed you've been able to restart the poll count there too... safe to say the original vote would've been distorted quite a bit...

yep re-opened the poll, though wasn't able to make it public ...

I know two Roys fans who are now rabid St Kilda fans, but they aren't on Bigfooty.

Here's some I know:
Brisbane: heaps lol
Melbourne: Wonaeamirra33
North Melbourne: Horace, Wild Kangaroo
Sydney: royboy42
geeze forgotten the rest already

Oh, you can add Roy Fitzlion (and PowerIStough - he's a recent convert I'll take the credit for ;) ) from North Melbourne. And I'm pretty sure about Trav_20 from the Demons. There are at least a couple of other Demons posters on BF who are Fitzroy people too, saw them on our board some time ago, but can't remember the names...

As a kid I'd grown up in a Collingwood household (even have pics of me, age 3, in a Pies guernsey) but chose Fitzroy. No deep reason behind that choice; as a child I loved going to the zoo, I loved animals and, above all others, I loved lions. So, there really wasn't any choice to make, Fitzroy was the lions and that was my team. My father was a good sport about it and, thanks to taking me to so many matches over the years, ended up developing a soft spot for the Roys. After Fitzroy was 'forcibly acquired' (that's how I see it), I lost interest in football altogether. When the Brisbane team made its way into the Grand Final I tried to cheer for them but it just didn't feel right - I couldn't muster any enthusiasm or passion. Simply put, I didn't care. That antipathy towards the game continued on even I moved to Brisbane. Despite having their 'Lions' right at my doorstep I just had no interest at all. Their Lions weren't my Lions and no-matter how hard I wanted to try, that wasn't going to change at all.

The first thaw came when I started dating a Brisbane girl (now my fiance) who, despite knowing nothing about Aussie Rules, liked cats so she'd chosen Geelong as her team. We started to watch a few games and she developed into one of the most parochial, one-eyed supporters I've met in my life. All that despite the fact she'd never been to Geelong and had only ever attended one game (a loss to Brisbane). She essentially rekindled my interest in football and got me thinking that, perhaps, now was the time to start following another team. Unfortunately, it can never be Brisbane. I envy the Fitzroy supporters who were able to make the change and wish I could have done the same. But, I couldn't and after living here in Brisbane never will. So I'm still looking for a club that I can genuinely give a stuff about. Doesn't have to be a successful one, just a decent club that can bring out even 1/10th the passion I had with Fitzroy. Melbourne, Richmond and Geelong seem the most likely but I just don't know.

As a kid I'd grown up in a Collingwood household (even have pics of me, age 3, in a Pies guernsey) but chose Fitzroy. No deep reason behind that choice; as a child I loved going to the zoo, I loved animals and, above all others, I loved lions. So, there really wasn't any choice to make, Fitzroy was the lions and that was my team. My father was a good sport about it and, thanks to taking me to so many matches over the years, ended up developing a soft spot for the Roys. After Fitzroy was 'forcibly acquired' (that's how I see it), I lost interest in football altogether. When the Brisbane team made its way into the Grand Final I tried to cheer for them but it just didn't feel right - I couldn't muster any enthusiasm or passion. Simply put, I didn't care. That antipathy towards the game continued on even I moved to Brisbane. Despite having their 'Lions' right at my doorstep I just had no interest at all. Their Lions weren't my Lions and no-matter how hard I wanted to try, that wasn't going to change at all.

The first thaw came when I started dating a Brisbane girl (now my fiance) who, despite knowing nothing about Aussie Rules, liked cats so she'd chosen Geelong as her team. We started to watch a few games and she developed into one of the most parochial, one-eyed supporters I've met in my life. All that despite the fact she'd never been to Geelong and had only ever attended one game (a loss to Brisbane). She essentially rekindled my interest in football and got me thinking that, perhaps, now was the time to start following another team. Unfortunately, it can never be Brisbane. I envy the Fitzroy supporters who were able to make the change and wish I could have done the same. But, I couldn't and after living here in Brisbane never will. So I'm still looking for a club that I can genuinely give a stuff about. Doesn't have to be a successful one, just a decent club that can bring out even 1/10th the passion I had with Fitzroy. Melbourne, Richmond and Geelong seem the most likely but I just don't know.
I think I love you despite the fact you don't follow Brisbane.:eek:

It's a big call, Brisbane will never be Fitzroy, never. However, being a Queenslander that lives an hour and a half from the Gabba I'll take them. The colours, the song and the effort Brisbane have put in to remembering the Fitzroy heritage is good enough for me. While I would give ANYTHING to see Fitzroy back I know it won't happen so I've moved on. I know you will find a club that stirs the same feelings (perhaps not as strongly). Good luck, don't be lost to footy.

Maybe Gold Coast is an option. They have no history, so carry no baggage as a team we barracked against, when supporting Fitzroy.

Thanks fellas.

If I do get behind another club I think it's going to be either Melbourne or Richmond. Reason being that I just don't want to see another club forced to go through what Fitzroy did and I don't another group of supporters either losing their club entirely or being forced to decide whether they do or don't follow its new incarnation. So, if I do put my money behind another club in the AFL it'll be someone I know really needs my support.

Other than that, I'm going to take out a Fitzroy membership in 2011. It's only a few dollars and well worth it to see the colours in action again - especially at the old Brunswick St ground.

AndrewD, I know you're considering Melbourne and Richmond as they're bottoming out at the present time and need your support, but have you ever considered North Melbourne?

After the Gold Coast relocation debacle, and being statistically the least supported team in the AFL, we need every supporter we can get, as we are probably the team most likely to be brought up to be relocated or merged, if a merge or relocation would be touted sometime in the future, despite the fact that our supporters would be vehemently against it.

Melbourne and Richmond are two clubs that will never be considered to be relocated, Richmond primarily due to its large supporter base and Melbourne due to it being the oldest club and being connected with the MCC and having a distinguished history. Just because they are at the bottom for a while doesn't mean they will become a Fitzroy.

Whereas with North, we need every supporter we can get, and despite the fact we are not near the bottom right now, if the AFL had got their way in 2007, we would have ended up much like Fitzroy.

We are a club with a strong culture and a good future on the horizon, so I hope we can have you on board.

Thanks fellas.

If I do get behind another club I think it's going to be either Melbourne or Richmond. Reason being that I just don't want to see another club forced to go through what Fitzroy did and I don't another group of supporters either losing their club entirely or being forced to decide whether they do or don't follow its new incarnation. So, if I do put my money behind another club in the AFL it'll be someone I know really needs my support.

Other than that, I'm going to take out a Fitzroy membership in 2011. It's only a few dollars and well worth it to see the colours in action again - especially at the old Brunswick St ground.
I know how you feel mate. I don't follow teams as such. just Old Fitzroy players lol. I took an even intrest in watching both Nth Melbourne and later Brisbane to go see the last of the OLd Fitzroy boys play. That was as much intrest as i had in A F L. And since Chris Johnson Retired in 2007 i haven't seen much of or even sat through a game of A F L. An excellent idea to take out a Local Fitzroy Membership as i go to all their games and on a sunday SOMETIMES i go to a V F L game with a couple of old Fitzroy people. Local Footy is where its all at. Up close and personal.
Also i'm sick of people aking me who i follow in the A F L and following old Fitzroy players people just giggled. Fat Pizza also has a great idea if you decide you want a A F L team then get a Brand New one with No Stats history or anything then you can get in on the ground floor and you will not be following OLD TEAMS we had run ins with. And its simple. Who do you follow in the A F L. Simple Gold Coast. They ask why. I havn't had a team for 14 years i was an old Fitzroy supporter. New start,New team, no Merge History ,bags. Simple you picked a team. Anyway they will were an Orangy Red like Fitzroy and gold and have a logo and so on. Anyway my first priority as it has been for many years is the Local Fitzroy Boys at the B S O. I'm as happy as a pig when i'm there and just love it. Hope i helped.:)

AndrewD, I know you're considering Melbourne and Richmond as they're bottoming out at the present time and need your support, but have you ever considered North Melbourne?

I did but the thing is, unlike Melbourne and Richmond, I really have no connection to North. I really do need to have some association to the club I choose and something that might spark an interest in them. That's especially tough when a club plays out of Etihad, a ground that just leaves me cold (and not in the way Waverley did).

I know how you feel mate. I don't follow teams as such. just Old Fitzroy players lol. I took an even intrest in watching both Nth Melbourne and later Brisbane to go see the last of the OLd Fitzroy boys play. That was as much intrest as i had in A F L. And since Chris Johnson Retired in 2007 i haven't seen much of or even sat through a game of A F L. An excellent idea to take out a Local Fitzroy Membership as i go to all their games and on a sunday SOMETIMES i go to a V F L game with a couple of old Fitzroy people. Local Footy is where its all at. Up close and personal. Also i'm sick of people aking me who i follow in the A F L and following old Fitzroy players people just giggled. Fat Pizza also has a great idea if you decide you want a A F L team then get a Brand New one with No Stats history or anything then you can get in on the ground floor and you will not be following OLD TEAMS we had run ins with. And its simple. Who do you follow in the A F L. Simple Gold Coast. They ask why. I havn't had a team for 14 years i was an old Fitzroy supporter. New start,New team, no Merge History ,bags. Simple you picked a team. Anyway they will were an Orangy Red like Fitzroy and gold and have a logo and so on. Anyway my first priority as it has been for many years is the Local Fitzroy Boys at the B S O. I'm as happy as a pig when i'm there and just love it. Hope i helped.:)

Mate, I envy you being able to go to see Fitzroy at the old Brunswick St. ground. We've scheduled a visit next time we're in Melbourne and I'm just looking forward to seeing the colours again. It's not the same but, as I was saying to my fiancee, it's a bit like a soccer club in the UK that has been relegated from the Premier League all the way down to National League (at or near the bottom level of the English Football League). The club still exists, it just doesn't play at the top any longer. People still support the club and some of them may also follow another team playing in the bigger leagues. I certainly don't need to watch AFL footy to enjoy the game. Hell, I actually go to see club level games here in Brisbane and standard can be very, very patchy at times (it goes from very good to very ordinary within 2-3 divisions) .

In choosing another team - assuming I ever do - my fiancee says she doesn't care who I support, so long as it isn't Hawthorn LOL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, I envy you being able to go to see Fitzroy at the old Brunswick St. ground. We've scheduled a visit next time we're in Melbourne and I'm just looking forward to seeing the colours again. It's not the same but, as I was saying to my fiancee, it's a bit like a soccer club in the UK that has been relegated from the Premier League all the way down to National League (at or near the bottom level of the English Football League). The club still exists, it just doesn't play at the top any longer. People still support the club and some of them may also follow another team playing in the bigger leagues. I certainly don't need to watch AFL footy to enjoy the game. Hell, I actually go to see club level games here in Brisbane and standard can be very, very patchy at times (it goes from very good to very ordinary within 2-3 divisions) .

In choosing another team - assuming I ever do - my fiancee says she doesn't care who I support, so long as it isn't Hawthorn LOL.
LMAO. Yep i love the local. All the best to you to mate i just hope it all works out well for you. LOL the fiancee is right to lol:thumbsu:

I supported the Brisbane Lions to begin with, but my passion waned and I followed no one. Picked up Essendon recently (last 4 years or so) but I am a LOT less passionate about AFL than when I was watching my beloved Roys play. :)

Also a Fitzroy member. :thumbsu:

I supported the Brisbane Lions to begin with, but my passion waned and I followed no one. Picked up Essendon recently (last 4 years or so) but I am a LOT less passionate about AFL than when I was watching my beloved Roys play. :)

Also a Fitzroy member. :thumbsu:
Couldn't of said this better myself.:thumbsu: Local footy rules:)

I used to be a big Fitzroy supporter and remember 93 as the season we were on the cusp we lost 4 games that yeat under a goal. Doug Hawkins marking a ball in the back out of no where after we were up by 5 goals at half time and seeing the boys blitz the pies in the wet Matty Dundas and Lynchie 5 goals. I had Number 2 on my back for Matty Dundas. It all went Pear shape when lynchy left and then Richmond screwed us with the Hogg deal dundas broderick gale all left as well as lynchie and Jamie Elliott. How great the AFL was letting Richmond Brisbane Sydney have Priority picks and then we got zip. If that team was able to hang about I think we possibly could have been a regular finals player int eh mid to late 90's. I go for North because I wanted to follow a Melbourne based team after living in Melbourne now living in Tassie it's not the same. I follow the Fitzroy Football club through the web now and it's great that we are back I am hoping to go to a game and get all my old gear out again. Personally going for Brisbane is like being jilted at your wedding and getting married to the only single girl in the church that's why I don't go for them our records don't count it always Brisbane's head to head games records etc which really irritates me

As Cassius Clay said after losing that make believe movie fight " This movie was made in Alabama !" C'mon 4 ex Roy's turning to the pies. You must be dreaming.

Back