Boxing Who will be Australia's next world champion??

Remove this Banner Ad

Dan Cooper

Victory Salute
Sep 26, 2013
Red Corner
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boxing
I have a feeling our next world champion might be this fella >

Jeff-Horn-1200.jpg

What do you think?

I hope not everyone had to read the name on his shorts to realise I was referring to Jeff Horn in the opening post. He is one exciting prospect.

Rising Australian boxing star Jeff Horn is intent on making up for lost time, eyeing a top five ranking by the end of the year.

Queenslander Jeff Horn (9-0-1, 7 KOs) fights Ghana's Richmond Djarbeng (19-2-1, 15 KOs) for 3 regional welterweight titles in New Zealand on Saturday. Horn is ranked 15th by the WBA, 4 places below his opponent.

A broken hand has temporarily stalled Horn's progress and meant a 6 month break for him. Horn's trainer Glenn Rushton remains determined to cram in a handful of fights before year's end to make up for lost time.

"We'd like to have 4 or 5 fights this year and push hard for that top 5 position," Horn's trainer Glenn Rushton said.

A top 10 ranked opponent is already being lined up for Horn's next scheduled appearance in NZ in August.

"There is no one now we would not fight but of course we have to earn the right," Rushton said.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8996921

I was going to say Geale but we all seen it how that went down.

Will check this Jeff Horn out

I was going to say Geale but we all seen it how that went down.

Will check this Jeff Horn out

Horn stopped his Ghana opponent Richmond Djarbeng in the 3rd round in NZ yesterday. Horn had Djarbeng down once in the 2nd round and twice in the 3rd before the stoppage.

Jeff Horn is ready to bring world-class boxing back to Brisbane with a bout against a leading welterweight in October

Jeff Horn will return to NZ to fight #10 ranked Viktor Plotnykov of Ukraine on August 1, but is set to have his first fight in Brisbane since 2013 as he starts to build a support base in his home country.

Horn has now beaten three world-ranked opponents in his last three starts. He handed Djarbeng his first loss in nine years, rocking him in the first round, dropping him in the second and putting him down twice in the third for a stoppage victory.

“I don’t want any easy fights,” Horn said. “Some guys pad their records with easy wins but I want to fight the best fighters I can and get that world title shot as quickly as possible.”

His next opponent, Plotnykov, has been fighting professionally for 13 years and has a record of 32 wins and only two losses.

Provided Horn comes through unscathed he will face another world-rated opponent in Brisbane in October. No opponent has been confirmed for his homecoming fight though former world welterweight champ Andre Berto is the team’s first choice.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/more-sp...-to-his-backyard/story-e6frf5h3-1227397678990

I didn't know much about this bloke, he randomly followed me on Twitter a while back, will watch those vids you put up. Seems like Zac Dunn might have some potential, he might be a while off though. And what about Lucas Browne?

Zac Dunn is coming along nicely. Big body puncher.

Lucas Browne looked like he was headed for a title fight with Ruslan Chagaev. Having been his mandatory. Next thing you know Chagaev has two fights lined up and Browne is after that - if he's lucky!

I didn't know much about this bloke, he randomly followed me on Twitter a while back, will watch those vids you put up. Seems like Zac Dunn might have some potential, he might be a while off though. And what about Lucas Browne?

Whilst on Zac Dunn. Found this short vid which is worth a watch >

Yeah super excited about Horn. A bit disappointing that his recent fights have been in NZ but I imagine that is what Duco Events wants. I wouldn't mind seeing them try to build his profile a bit more in Australia though. I think a slot on a free-to-air card on Channel 9 would do wonders for his popularity in Australia.

Heard a bit about Zac Dunn but I have to admit I haven't watched too much of him. Very keen to see his fight against Max Bursak next weekend though. Bursak is a pretty decent fighter. Only three losses have come against Murray, N'Dam and Fletcher. Was unlucky not to get past Fletcher as well. Beaten the likes of Brian Vera and Nick Blackwell. They must think quite highly of Dunn if they are already confident enough to take on someone like Bursak.

Yeah super excited about Horn. A bit disappointing that his recent fights have been in NZ but I imagine that is what Duco Events wants. I wouldn't mind seeing them try to build his profile a bit more in Australia though. I think a slot on a free-to-air card on Channel 9 would do wonders for his popularity in Australia.

Heard a bit about Zac Dunn but I have to admit I haven't watched too much of him. Very keen to see his fight against Max Bursak next weekend though. Bursak is a pretty decent fighter. Only three losses have come against Murray, N'Dam and Fletcher. Was unlucky not to get past Fletcher as well. Beaten the likes of Brian Vera and Nick Blackwell. They must think quite highly of Dunn if they are already confident enough to take on someone like Bursak.

Bursak has the look of a tough assignment because he's only been beaten by quality opponents. But although Dunn may have had only 17 pro fights, he had his first amateur fight at 14 and racked up something like 170 fights in the amateurs. So he's been hard at it for 10 years now and lived in Cuba, and fought in places like Azerbaijan, Philippines, Russia, Ukraine and Mexico.

Zac Dunn vs Max Bursak - this saturday

627556-82197258-1971-11e5-a215-cd598288c098.jpg

Dunn and Bursak with Barry Michael

Bursak, 30, has the distinct advantage in professional fight experience, with 31 wins and a draw from 35 fights. He has also never been knocked out.

The undefeated Dunn aims to change all that. “I like to go hard each round and see where the fight goes from there, but I’ve been eight rounds and 10 rounds before and I am fit for 12,” he said.

“He thinks I’m not fit and will puff out, but that’s a positive for me.

“He’s already planning his next fight but I will beat him to that one.”

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back