why did richard osborne leave?

Remove this Banner Ad

mountain roy

Debutant
Nov 6, 2005
leura
Other Teams
fitzroy
hi everybody, seeing how we are talking about peter caven leaving on fat pizza's trivia question, i still have no idea why osborne left fitzroy end of 1992. i dont even think we recieved any draft prefences for him going to sydney, to me he was an important a player as roos and pert and next season he is playing for bottom club sydney. what was all that about?????

I think Richard Osborne was just one of the many uncontracted players to leave Fitzroy in that period, and the club, due to its financial position, could do little to stop this.

Sadly, the Lions lost quite a few players for no reward, and in the cases of players that were traded, had little choice but to accept the lean end of the deal.

hi everybody, seeing how we are talking about peter caven leaving on fat pizza's trivia question, i still have no idea why osborne left fitzroy end of 1992. i dont even think we recieved any draft prefences for him going to sydney, to me he was an important a player as roos and pert and next season he is playing for bottom club sydney. what was all that about?????

Yere I don't think he was really part of Robert Shaw's grand plans. He made guys like Brett Stephens part of the leadership group ahead of Ossie.

The "Great McCarthy" (John McCarthy) joined at the end of 1992. He wasn't half the player Ossie was.

It was a bad time losing Ossie. He really wanted to go to Essendon in 1993, but ended up at Sydney. Unfortunate as he missed the flag in 1993.

Ossie was emotionally drained by the constant pressure Fitzroy was under to survive & the constant speculation about mergers, relocations etc. He was also being dragged down by the lack of professionalism of some of his teammates, who seemed more interested in performing on the end-of-season trip than in being successful footballers. He had previously had a very professional attitude to his football, with role models like Garry Wilson & Bernie Quinlan around the club, but he was turning into what he termed a “loser” – not just on the football field, but in life generally. He was spending his days, lying on the couch, watching videos & feeling sorry for himself. I believe his girlfriend (later to become his wife), Natalie was a strong influence in getting him to change clubs & get some purpose back in his life.

As a listed, but uncontracted player, he was allowed to nominate a price, at which he would be prepared to go to another club. If any club was prepared to pay that price & could fit him into their salary cap, they could pick him up. He came to an agreement with Essendon that they would pay him around $200K for his first season, so no-one else could afford to take him, then they would pay him lesser amounts for the following 2 seasons. Delisted players couldn’t nominate a price.

Fitzroy delisted him, so he couldn’t nominate a price. That meant he went into the draft & Fitzroy couldn’t get anything in exchange for him. The Swans had first pick in the draft, so were able to pick him up cheaply. If he didn’t want to play under their terms, he’d have to stand out of the AFL for a year. Fitzroy’s actions were probably meant as a deterrent to stop other players leaving the club, because they would most likely end up being drafted by a bottom side in either Sydney or Brisbane.

Ossie wanted to stay in Victoria, but signed on with the Swans, on the proviso that they’d on-trade him the following season.

I spoke to him one night at Crown, excpecting him to have fond memories of being a Royboy...and found him to be one of the most anti Fitzroy people I have ever encountered...bitter about his final days there, and then reckoned he now barracked for Collingwood!!! No true Royboy would ever say anything like that!!

My mum used to idolise him, and when I told her she was shattered!!

A thug from West Coast who is quite prominent!, broke Ossies Jaw in a State Game in 1992.

I spoke to him one night at Crown, excpecting him to have fond memories of being a Royboy...and found him to be one of the most anti Fitzroy people I have ever encountered...bitter about his final days there, and then reckoned he now barracked for Collingwood!!! No true Royboy would ever say anything like that!!

My mum used to idolise him, and when I told her she was shattered!!
Gary Pert is Collingwood's General Manager, yet I still think of him as a true Royboy.

Hopefully Ossie will look back on his career & realise that he had more good times than bad with Fitzroy.

Hopefully Pert will too.

Fat Pizza

I was quite suprised at what Ossie had to say - it was like talking to someone who hated Fitzroy....was just strange coming from the mouth of a bloke who did so much for the club when he was there - just bitter at the circumstances of his departure I suppose...

Fat Pizza

I was quite suprised at what Ossie had to say - it was like talking to someone who hated Fitzroy....was just strange coming from the mouth of a bloke who did so much for the club when he was there - just bitter at the circumstances of his departure I suppose...
Yeah, I suppose....
What year was it when you were talking to him?

he left because he wanted to travel in an ambulance [and sydney were the only team that would come to the party]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally can't visualise Pert showing any loyalty to the Roys now. He is so involved at Collingwood, it's just not funny. In the media, probably due to Eddie McGuire's influence, Pert is usually referred to as a former Collingwood player. It's very rare that they'll mention him being an ex-Fitzroy player.

It's a shame that Ossie's career ended the way it did. It's an even greater shame that most of his teammates were an absolute joke!

Tricky Dicky supports Collingwood. He was asked who he supports and he said Collingwood. He went to a Hall of Fame dinner and he was inducted into the Hall of Fame. If he is so anti Brisbane Lions or Fitzroy Lions he should not have got into the Hall of Fame :thumbsu:

Pert & Osborne were both champion players, who played the best parts of their careers with Fitzroy. They both suffered terrible knee injuries, while representing the Roys. They are both entitled to be dirty on the way some people at Fitzroy treated them & we are entitled to feel dirty on them for leaving. They have to remember that Fitzroy was in a dire position when they left & that some of the tough decisions would not need to have been made if the club had had more money. The club had to remain bigger than the player. Some decisions had to be made to protect the club’s precarious future, even at the expense of our champion players.

I don’t think either player should be expected to follow the Brisbane Lions, but I think they both have a duty to respect the supporters, who stuck by them at Fitzroy.

I was disappointed to read that Ossie seemed anti-Fitzroy. I haven’t heard anything like that about Pert. I still respect both players. What they did, while representing Fitzroy more than makes up for any negatives I’ve heard about them so far.

Can't blame Ossie for the way he feels, at the end the club was in survival mode and players weren't treated the way they should have been. Perty for instance. Just hope one day he realises that he gave a lot of people a great deal of enjoyment and that can never be taken away from him. Time heals all wounds.

Ossie and Fitzroy mended their differences when I asked Ossie would he come to the Foundation Dinner at Jika Jika in 1999, and Natalie came along.
I actually got a pic of him from Sporting Pix in Nth Melbourne of him wearing a Fitzroy jumper against Collingwood and he was very proud of that.
Natalie wanted Rich to go to Hawthorn as she followed them, his Mom never liked Fitzroy, but his Dad, Geoff (Chips Raferty look alike), just loved going to the footy, and training, what a nice bloke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back