Super Rugby Willie Ripia quits Western Force in disgrace

Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Can't say I've heard of him, but the guy obviously has some serious problems.

Gambling problem brings downfall

New Zealand rugby player Willie Ripia has quit the Western Force after being caught stealing from his teammates.

Former Taranaki, Hurricanes and New Zealand Maori first five-eighth Ripia, who has undergone counselling for a gambling problem, was caught on CCTV taking money from players' wallets and bags at the team's Perth headquarters.

Ripia, 26, offered his resignation yesterday morning when confronted with the footage, Australian media reported.

Players had complained to management previously about losing money and while Ripia had been suspected of taking cash, he had denied any involvement.

Wow. That's no good from Ripia. Hope he gets the help he needs but stealing from your mates is just not on. Will take a lot for him to improve himself to the point where he can resume his career at a club and locker room that has 100% trust in him.

No good for the Force either as he is a good player and would have played 10 this year I think. Used to play at the Canes and was a strong player. Was injured most of last year so couldn't fill the 10 role which I imagine will be filled by Stannard now. In the absence of JOC, it is not a good start for the Force at all.

Flabbergasted. His gambling habit must've been out of control to steal from teammates. As S120 have stated, it's going to take a bloody long time to regain trust from his teammates anymore. It's almost like a blight on his career in a recruiting POV.

Not to mention he got caught the day after signing my hat. bastard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back