Worst feeling ever

Remove this Banner Ad

rabs68

Team Captain
Aug 31, 2001
Sydney
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Apart from when we got "merged" with Brisbane, what was the worst thing you all felt as Royboys?

Two incidents spring to mind for me.

One was whene Ross Brewer kicked the ball over his head and won the game for Collingwood in a final. The train trip home was a shocker. We were the only Fitzroy people on our carriage, and believe me it was a long trip to Moorabbin.

The other was the umpires smashed us against Adelaide.

I have yet to meet anyone who can come up with a game where 3 ordinary decisions have cost a side the game other than that game.

Originally posted by Roylion
Upon hearing the news that Alistair Lynch had left Fitzroy to go to Brisbane.

A year later, Paul Roos leaving to go to Sydney.

When Lynch left, that took away any chance Fitzroy had of fielding a successful team. I didn't mind so much when Roos left, because it was all over by then. Roos had given more than anyone could expect for our club.

Lynchy seems like quite a good bloke & he certainly played some good games for the Roys, but he really opened the floodgates by walking out on us.

The 83 Qualifying Final, I think I cried all the way back to Traralgon after that one. It was the flag that we should have won....bloody Michael Tuck, why couldn't he have missed!

Even though it was to do with the merger, standing on the 'G' after the last game against North Melbourne. It's been the most painful and empty feeling I've ever had.

10. Seeing other clubs with our star players running around in them - even worse when you get beaten by them (ala the game against Richmond in 1994, where we were on a level pegging with them, until Broderick and Gale went nuts in the second half and won the game for Richmond - from that point on our season was shot - mainly due to what looked like terrible morale).

9. Every loss which left you with a bitter feeling (due to a fierce rivalry, opposition bastardry, or needing a win to make the finals, etc.).

8. Every game we were thrashed in.

7. Every game we lost, in which we should have 'rightfully' won.

6. Being beaten by Collingwood, in round 19, 1989, in what was a virtual elimination final - with R.Osborne having his knee wrecked by D.Milane.

5. The player exodus of 1994, when we lost Roos, Armstrong, Lyon, Wheildon, Wynd, Sartori, Seecamp, and Dunstan.

4. Losing to Hawthorn in the 1986 Preliminary Final.

3. Being beaten by Adelaide after the siren, due to a series of dodgy free kicks in 1991, at Football Park.

2. Getting pumped by Richmond in the last game in Victoria, round 21, 1996.

1. Lynch leaving at the end of 1993 and sparking a player exodus which saw us lose Broderick, Gale, Dundas, Elliott and Caven.

This is a fairly painful - no.. it's therapeutic ... and ironic given the Carey thing but the collapse of the 1993 team that really had a solid core, fighting spirit and could have been suplimented with draft picks ( 94 we picked up CJ and JB ) and what did we get ? Jeff Hogg.

Oh .. and the 83 finals esp. V Bombers where they just beat us up ( cries for justice went unheeded ) .. and that Brewer goal .. what a long, long walk back home.

I know im not actually a Roy, but i'll give my two cents anyway...

Watching the last game Fitzroy played against Richmond at the MCG in 96. Til that point i'd never seen so much pain.

People looked dead. The faces, the body lanuage, you couldn't help but be swept up in it.

Knowing that it would be last time most Fitzroy supporters would hear the team song being played as they ran on to the ground (from memory, they played it after the game as they were leaving the field?)

As far as worst football memories, this would almost be parrall to the 97 Prelim loss.

It was a sad sad day

gut wrenching last qtr of the 83 qualifying final. our boys were sterling, but we were robbed by that mediocre decision against Mick Nettlefold in the back pocket, and two angled goals by the Hawks.

Ross Brewer. 10 points up into time on and a loss. the pain.....

last game at the 'G'. watching an old man (must have been in his 70s) standing in front of me at the front of the southern stand, in full roys gear, flag, absolutely in tears. he'd probably watched us since the 30s, seen the last flag, seen the days of Brunnie St, the Junction, through the nomadic years after.... i could only mouth the words of the theme song that day - simply nothing was coming out. i couldn't believe this beloved 'thing' (going to cheer for the roys) was being taken away from us all, so many people who enjoyed it. even seeing the richmond people in tears at the thought of us going through it.

pulling out an old tape of the 86 elim final makes you feel better....

Originally posted by OldLion
Oh .. and the 83 finals esp. V Bombers where they just beat us up ( cries for justice went unheeded ) .. and that Brewer goal .. what a long, long walk back home.
With you on those two, OldLion.

I was actually quite upbeat after the QF loss to Hawthorn in '83, cos I knew we could do 'em next time 'round. Alas, thanks to the Bombers and their "tactics" (think we may have had a very ordinary go from the maggots that day, too) there was to be no 'next time'.

Bawled me optics out after the Ross Brewer match. If only Bundy had dobbed that one from the pocket.

Stared blankly at the telly screen for a good half-hour after the 1991 Adelaide fiasco.

How about the return game against Essendon in 1992? Mini-elimination final, played at North Hobart of all places. Joe Cormack misses absolute sitter...ball rebounds...Gary O'Donnell goals...Dons win by 3 points...Roys out of contention. Very empty feeling.

For a non-Roys game, I'd have to nominate the day Geelong beat our record score...by 1 lousy point...on the siren! :( At least we still have the record winning margin. :)

Apart from the last game in Melbourne, the worst feeling ever was in 1993 from the time Gary Pert kicked that goal to put Collingwood ahead with about a minute to play until Roos kicked that goal to put Fitzroy back ahead with seconds to play. Collingwood had been behind all day and we'd been paying out on their supporters as much as possible. For about a minute I had the terrible realisation that for all our hard work we were going to walk away with nothing - not to mention every Collingwood supporter having the last laugh. Of course, the worst feeling ever was quickly replaced by the best feeling ever and the game is now a classic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back