Multiplat Zero Time Dilemma

Remove this Banner Ad

The trilogy is $46.45 through PS+ discounts on the Store at the moment. Insane value for anybody that hasn't played them.
I've been intrigued by both this and Danganronpa, had both sitting in my wishlist waiting for a sale. Would you recommend one over the other for any particular reason?

I've been intrigued by both this and Danganronpa, had both sitting in my wishlist waiting for a sale. Would you recommend one over the other for any particular reason?
It's like picking a favourite child.

I think Danganronpa is more consistent, but Zero Escape is the better experience. Both Danganronpa games are great, and while the Zero Escape trilogy is also brilliant, the first game is quite frustrating at stages. Not in an overly negative way, it just shows its age a bit and forces you to redo puzzles a little too often (particularly on your way to the true ending). They did really well to address those frustrations in the later games, and it's still a good game in itself, but it is a little annoying.

They're also quite different in tone: Danganronpa is very dumb, over-the-top fun, while ZE is pretty thought-provoking and is certainly more complicated. I adore the story of the latter but it's harder to follow and requires a bit more attention. Probably a bit more gameplay and less text in Danganronpa, too, but I'd suggest that both are predominantly visual novels. The puzzle/gameplay sections of both require some degree of thought but Danganronpa is less demanding and more forgiving.

It honestly depends what you want. ZE is heavier but more outstanding, while Danganronpa is a bit easier to play casually and have a laugh at (although it is still quite dark).

All of that said, if I were ranking the two series on my enjoyment of the two I'd have ZE miles in front - but that's a testament to how good I thought it was and not an insult to Danganronpa.

999 = fantastic game, one of my favourite games of all time, a real marvel in how to tell and present such a unique story

VLR = also fantastic, much more ambitious, but doesn't stand up on it's own as well compared to 999, and the final ending is technobabble and a half

ZTD = a confusing mess that almost works well enough to be great but is ruined by the mere existance of two useless and horrible characters and an unfortunately potato budget

It's funny, I get the criticisms of ZTD but I really loved it and thought it wrapped everything up in a satisfying way. Probably due a replay of the whole series.

I liked it overall and overlooked most of the easy shortcomings that dont really matter. It just has issues, specifically Q team is just so poorly written in just abouy every aspect imo and really drains the enjoyment of the game, because D team and especially C team are really great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back